• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

So what phone are you going to get when you can dump your Eris brick?

addendum:

it was a "how many triangles in this picture" diagram, you pick how many triangles you see in the picture, and then another browser window comes up asking if you want to test your IQ. In order to re-create this, i had to log off, reset my safari browser, and go back into the first post as a 'guest'.

It went away?

Was it a post by a member or an ad?

Upvote 0
New user here...:) The info, tips/tricks kept me busy for hours !!

I found this forum while doing a search for Eris accessories. I was astounded by everyone having issues with their phones !

I have had NONE of the problems noted on various posts. My battery doesn't die in a few hours, in fact, I charged my phone yesterday morning and it still has at least a 3/4 charge on it, and that's with me constantly playing with it. I have 3-4 bars of signal strength, no silent call bug, nada, nothing.

Naturally, the more calls I make/receive, the faster the battery drains. But to complain about that is like complaining that the gas gauge on your car drops when you drive the car.

I've been impressed with the phone from the get-go, never had a problem. The OTA went flawlessly, even made the phone better, in looks and function.

Maybe the reason my phone works is because I don't futz with everything. I leave it the way it came, no matter how much I want to "tweak" things with the ill-placed knowledge that I know what is better than the phone designers did.

I also ride motorcycles and belong to a riding club. Many riders like to tweak their rides, and after they do, more problems arise. The tweak the fuel delivery, then the heads get hot. Then they tweak the exhaust to keep the heads cooler, but then they have to change out the ignition....etc, etc. I left my bike stock and guess what ? Never a problem. When they complain that they "wanted their bike to respond like XXX-brand bike" I always say, "then go BUY XXX-brand bike !!".

Maybe if users stopped tweaking their phones, no matter how much fun it would be, maybe they would have less problems. Tweaking a perceived problem may only cause another one to surface. Then you tweak that one, causing another, giving the impression the phone is wrought with problems. (yeah, yeah, I know...a lot of you just yelled, "shut up, newbie !!" at your monitors....)

Accept what it can do, accept what it can't do, and be happy with it. Accepting the phone for what it is doesn't make you weak, doesn't make you less manly. It's just a phone, not a life support machine.

I do programming for a living, and the quote we repeat most often is, "Just because you CAN do something, doesn't mean you SHOULD."

Well, that's my little intro, now back to reading the boards, LOTS of interesting things here, glad I stumbled on it !

p.s. I hope I haven't angered anyone, that was not my intent.

Reactions: oldngrumpy
Upvote 0
New user here...:) The info, tips/tricks kept me busy for hours !!

I found this forum while doing a search for Eris accessories. I was astounded by everyone having issues with their phones !

I have had NONE of the problems noted on various posts. My battery doesn't die in a few hours, in fact, I charged my phone yesterday morning and it still has at least a 3/4 charge on it, and that's with me constantly playing with it. I have 3-4 bars of signal strength, no silent call bug, nada, nothing.

Naturally, the more calls I make/receive, the faster the battery drains. But to complain about that is like complaining that the gas gauge on your car drops when you drive the car.

I've been impressed with the phone from the get-go, never had a problem. The OTA went flawlessly, even made the phone better, in looks and function.

Maybe the reason my phone works is because I don't futz with everything. I leave it the way it came, no matter how much I want to "tweak" things with the ill-placed knowledge that I know what is better than the phone designers did.

I also ride motorcycles and belong to a riding club. Many riders like to tweak their rides, and after they do, more problems arise. The tweak the fuel delivery, then the heads get hot. Then they tweak the exhaust to keep the heads cooler, but then they have to change out the ignition....etc, etc. I left my bike stock and guess what ? Never a problem. When they complain that they "wanted their bike to respond like XXX-brand bike" I always say, "then go BUY XXX-brand bike !!".

Maybe if users stopped tweaking their phones, no matter how much fun it would be, maybe they would have less problems. Tweaking a perceived problem may only cause another one to surface. Then you tweak that one, causing another, giving the impression the phone is wrought with problems. (yeah, yeah, I know...a lot of you just yelled, "shut up, newbie !!" at your monitors....)

Accept what it can do, accept what it can't do, and be happy with it. Accepting the phone for what it is doesn't make you weak, doesn't make you less manly. It's just a phone, not a life support machine.

I do programming for a living, and the quote we repeat most often is, "Just because you CAN do something, doesn't mean you SHOULD."

Well, that's my little intro, now back to reading the boards, LOTS of interesting things here, glad I stumbled on it !

p.s. I hope I haven't angered anyone, that was not my intent.

root and then come back to us telling us not to mess with things. i think that will change your mind just a bit :D

Upvote 0
root and then come back to us telling us not to mess with things. i think that will change your mind just a bit :D

Nah, happy the way it is. :)

I used to be one of those guys that HAD to overclock their PC's (back when it was done with mobo jumpers, not BIOS tweaks or software patches. Setting mulitpliers, clock speeds, etc., used to be the norm for me. I've "freed the secret smoke" on many a motherboard. I've muttered, "well, I shouldn't have done THAT" more then once as I broke out a screwdriver to replace a mobo or processor. :D

Now, granted, I've only had this phone for maybe 7 months. As it ages and I want the next latest and greatest, my desire to tweak may get stronger. Time will tell.....

Upvote 0
Nah, happy the way it is. :)

I used to be one of those guys that HAD to overclock their PC's (back when it was done with mobo jumpers, not BIOS tweaks or software patches. Setting mulitpliers, clock speeds, etc., used to be the norm for me. I've "freed the secret smoke" on many a motherboard. I've muttered, "well, I shouldn't have done THAT" more then once as I broke out a screwdriver to replace a mobo or processor. :D

Now, granted, I've only had this phone for maybe 7 months. As it ages and I want the next latest and greatest, my desire to tweak may get stronger. Time will tell.....
don't let the people who are running stock everything and are having issues see that first post you made!!

its not just people that 'futz' (i like that word) with their phones that are having these issues.... unfortunately....

edit: im not one with issues (and I futz with my phone plenty) but there are plenty on these boards due to the fact that they are having issues with the stock phone...

Upvote 0
My first refurb had the silent bug before I even got to install my first app on it....called and they are sending out #2 with in a day of the first one...My original wouldn't charge.

I am going to keep calling and asking for a refurb or new phone everytime it has the slightest problem. I just want a working phone and this has become horrible in there quality control of the Eris Refubs.

Upvote 0
1ze8kki.jpg

I'm getting this phone, it comes with the girl

Upvote 0
1ze8kki.jpg

I'm getting this phone, it comes with the girl
The girl part would be welcoming. The RAZR part would leave horrible taste in my mouth.

Had a RAZR V3, it sucked. It had many problems. I would argue that crashing while it was in your pocket, but never rebooting is worse than the silent call bug. AT LEAST, you know immediately when it happens with the silent call bug. I would go hours never touching my phone, and someone would ask why I never answered my phone. Pull it out, and it was off the entire time.

I figured out that my BODY HEAT from my leg was making it overheat and turnoff. You could simulate it by rubbing it and creating heat from friction.

At the end of the day, I laugh when people say the Eris is a horrible phone. The Eris is a GODSEND compared to what I used to have. Also having more than 4 MB of memory is nice.

Upvote 0
BRICK?

I've had my Eris since January and I still love it. Yea, it could be faster, but besides that, it's a great phone. I just installed the Droid X keyboard on my Eris. I LOVE the speech to text key on that keyboard!!!!

I've been looking at the Droid X for an upgrade. I just don't know how much I'll miss HTC Sense. Yes I know about BWs, but it's just not the same. Guess I've got 5 days to decide if i want it or not.

how does that key board compare to the OEM one on the eris and where can I get it, the market??

thanks

Upvote 0
As I hate reading long posts but I broke down and finally read this. I have to say I find your logic in complete flaw.

Simply, when my Lexus is racing down the freeway at uncontrollable speeds due to a factory defect, I do not feel that it is my responsibility to find a "non-factory" solution for the problem. I should not have to flash the on board throttle control with some home brewed version. This is the responsibility of the dealer and the manufacturer.

Telling someone that they have to find their own solution to an item that should really constitute a factory recall is completely absurd and unreasonable. The manufacturer and the dealer issued the 2.1 update. 2.1 appears to have created many issues. It is VZW/HTC's responsibility to fix the issue, not the end user. If he had flashed his phone to 2.2 or even rooted it, then I would agree that it is up to him to find a solution but on a stock eris running 2.1 issued by VZW the problem is theirs and not his.

Look what you have done. I wrote a long post... :D

thank you sir,
my point exactly. just better said...:)

Upvote 0
Im on my 3rd Eris. The first one had trackball problems due to a loose power port. The second one had 3g issues with the signal going in and out. I have rooted all 3 of them and tested numerous roms. I have to have sense for the calendar widget. I also like the weather effects.

I got the first one back in march. I am sort of disappointed since I have to wait a year and a half for a new phone. The advancements that androids are making, make it hard to wait that long. I cant say what im gonna get next because its probably not even developed yet

Upvote 0
Got the second refurb today....straight out of the box the trackball would not scroll to the left. So I proceeded to the closest corporate store and was VERY polite and told them about it...dude looked at it tried to get it to scroll, restarted it and it did it again. He then asked me if I would like them to next day me another Eris or if I would like to get something similar as a replacement. Shot for the Incredible...got shot down! Was offered either the LG Ally or Moto Droid.

Long story short dumping the Eris' awesome form and feel for a refurb Moto Droid. Just have to deal with no trackball for a couple days since the will only two day the phone to me. Also they ordered a backdoor and standard battery for me at no charge of course.....and....even threw in a free car charger!

HTC out MOTO in I guess.:thinking:

Upvote 0
Got the second refurb today....straight out of the box the trackball would not scroll to the left. So I proceeded to the closest corporate store and was VERY polite and told them about it...dude looked at it tried to get it to scroll, restarted it and it did it again. He then asked me if I would like them to next day me another Eris or if I would like to get something similar as a replacement. Shot for the Incredible...got shot down! Was offered either the LG Ally or Moto Droid.

Long story short dumping the Eris' awesome form and feel for a refurb Moto Droid. Just have to deal with no trackball for a couple days since the will only two day the phone to me. Also they ordered a backdoor and standard battery for me at no charge of course.....and....even threw in a free car charger!

Well, you technically got a free upgrade so I wouldn't complain. Probably best you went with Droid, rather than the Ally, since the Ally has very similar hardware to the Eris, only without Sense so it runs slightly faster.

Upvote 0
I love the eris but it seems like the incredible is a bigger better version. My only problem came with the latest sofware update. The Eris really has been a good phone but i will be getting the incredible asap.

You should wait as long as possible. There are going to be way better phones than the incredible by the end of the year. you're going to feel the same way about the incredible as you do the eris in about 5 months.

Upvote 0

My local verizon just offered me the same deal today and I chose a new, still in the box, Moto Droid and I LOVE it! So far, I think it is much faster and the screen is really great. It is also wonderful to have 3 to 4 bars of service as opposed to watching the Eris constantly struggle for 1 bar and toggle between 1 and 3 g. Good Luck and I hope you like your moto droid as much as I do.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones