• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Some basic display issues

I have a new, rooted Pixel 7 Pro and have installed Nova 7 to manage some of the settings. There are three things that I cannot figure out and it could just be that I am very accustomed to the older version of Android...
  • The status bar at the top of the screen no longer appears. Yes, I can see it on occasion, but it should always be there. Not sure what I may have done to hide it...
  • My previous phone, which ran Android 10, had a 'arrow' at the bottom so that you could go back one screen. I see no such thing on this phone and the only thing I can do is close the app and start it again. What's going on?
  • The keypad on my old phone had various symbols above the letters - long press the key and the symbol appears. With this phone, I have to switch to a different keyboard layout screen. Anyway to get the previous functionality back?
One other thing. On the old phone, I could swipe up from the bottom of the screen and see the running apps. If I then swiped an app up, it stopped running. On this phone, I have no idea how to see the running apps and when I swipe up on an app, I think it simply moves it into the background. Is this a fundamental change or am I missing something?

Thanks for providing me some help!

For the status bar - Nova settings/look and feel, there are settings to show/hide it, make it transparent etc., play with those.
For the arrows at the bottom - go to settings/system/gestures/system navigation and select 3 button.
For the keyboard - search settings for Gboard preferences or access settings though the keyboard, there are all sorts of options to play with in there.
For the swiping up - if you put the 3 button navigation back you can use the square button to bring up the apps. Double tapping that will swap between the last 2 apps used

Reactions: groston
Upvote 0
For the status bar - Nova settings/look and feel, there are settings to show/hide it, make it transparent etc., play with those.
For the arrows at the bottom - go to settings/system/gestures/system navigation and select 3 button.
For the keyboard - search settings for Gboard preferences or access settings though the keyboard, there are all sorts of options to play with in there.
For the swiping up - if you put the 3 button navigation back you can use the square button to bring up the apps. Double tapping that will swap between the last 2 apps used
Clementine - GREAT RESPONSE!! The arrows, keyboard, and swiping issues are all resolved. But, still nothing with the status bar. Shown is a screen grab of the Nova settings screen. I tweaked a few things, but no luck. Any more suggestions?

Attachments

• LookAndFeel.jpg
    LookAndFeel.jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 44
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones