• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Speedtest - Post your results

Tested three 3G phones on 3 networks in 2 locations in Albuquerque NM. (I do phone flashing so I have a buncha phones)

I used C-net bandwidth meter and speed test.net and averaged the two tests. I only listed 3G download speeds with WI-FI shut off.

My house:

Verizon 3G Bold (Girlfriends) 1080
TMobile Nexus One (my phone) 1044
ATT Iphone 3GS (my phone) 842

At my Shop:

TMobile Nexus One (my phone) 984
Verizon 3G Bold (Girlfriends) 902
ATT Iphone (my phone) 794

FYI speed tests were done after the recent N1 update which did seem to help the N1 speeds (at least for me)

The winner I would say here in albuquerque so far is the N1 on T-Mobile based on the fact that my unlimited everything plan is half the price as my girlfriends bold on Verizon and they get very similar speeds. One advantage to the verizon phone is that it gets better 3G coverage when traveling alot in small towns and such. Since I stay in big cities most of the time Im fine with Tmobile.

FYI call quality wise the N1 and Bold both are good. Iphone drops have slowed down a bit lately but it still drops about 1 in 20 calls.

FYI number 2, to the people who generalize and say X network sucks and Y network is better you are idiots. Every network has advantages and disadvantages and one person in one city might get higher speeds with a cheaper carrier or vice versa.

That said Here are some generalizations I have made based on all of the carriers I deal with over the last few years here in my city.

Tmobile - Best price to performance ratio for many people. 69 dollars for unlimited everything. Good coverage for most people in normal to big cities. Not so good for most people in smaller towns or who drive out of town alot. Also usually has good customer service and their tech support will assist most people even if the phone they have is not sold by t-mobile (Iphone etc).

Verizon -> Best 3G coverage for roaming types and good speeds. Also has good customer service. Best for people who need High speeds everywhere and are willing to pay for extra for it.

ATT -> Great speed and coverage in some areas (when not bogged down by all the Iphone Traffic) not so great in others. Generally crappy customer service IMO. Dropped calls. Expensive too if you want unlimited. Only option for us Iphone owners who want speed.

Sprint -> Good price and good speeds with decent coverage. Used to be horrible customer service, they have moved up in recent years to just bad customer service. Sprint likes to surprise people with really high bills. No android love (soon to change)

Cricket => Sucks.

Im so bored of My 3GS plus it is slow here so I debating on selling it.

Upvote 0
1633594.png

Upvote 0
anyone on T-Mobile US getting above 1 Mbps?

i'm just wondering if by some crazy conspiracy, and some retaliation by T-Mo US (on not being to sell the Nexus in store), that since the network recognizes the Nexus as a "Non T-Mobile" device, that our speeds are being throttled??? :thinking:

just a crazy thought...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones