• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Sprint frustration for EVO LTE upgrade

spyder40

May 28, 2010
Might be the wrong place to post, move if needed.

I've had my OG Evo 4G since launch. Been a very good phone with no complaints but after reading about the LTE here decided it's time to upgrade for the better screen, camera, battery, and hopefully LTE here in the next 6 months (no WiMax ever even though paying for it). Was told that I could keep my existing plan/discounts/unlimited hotspot for $39/month as is and no activation fee so I pulled the trigger. Went through the process and at the end Sprint asked whether I wanted the $19/month for 2gig or $49/month for 6gig hotspot plan. I replied I already have the hotspot plan and wish to keep it. Response was it isn't valid on the EVO LTE and have to choose one of the two new ones and there would be an activation fee. After some back and forth that was going nowhere I said just cancel the order and I'll stay on the OG EVO. Here's where it got ugly. I was then told that's fine, which hotspot plan do I want on my OG EVO. My reply, I already have a hotspot plan and will keep it. Answer back was they had already started the change to the Evo LTE and removed the unlimited hotspot from my plan and can't put it back, the option is no longer available. WTF? I went from a working EVO 4G to essentially a non-working EVO 4G in a little under an hour (I use the hotspot to my laptop/tablet for work). Asking for supervisors, calls to retention, etc was fruitless. I've been a Sprint customer since the late 80's very early 90's and they could care less. Rentention was more like a see ya service. Essentially said good luck with a new carrier. What about all the commercials regarding "Unlimited Data"? Kind of in a quandry now regarding what to do next. Anybody else have experience with the hotspot plans on the EVO LTE? I can't get my actual monthly usage from previous since it just said "unlimited" and apparently wasn't tracked.

Rant off.......

Yeah, it is pretty unbelievable since I've never had issues with Sprint all these years up until this point. To answer the question, I was in the process of buying the LTE when it came to the bait and switch point. If they would have said up front that I had to change the plan I wouldn't have said let's go ahead with the purchase. Instead they said I wouldn't, everything would stay the same. I asked repeatedly to make sure. It was only after they started the process that it came up I had to change plans which is when I said stop. Never even saw or touched the new phone.

Working with another retention agent and they are going to call me back within 24 hours. Tick tock tick tock....

As to juarezing the hotspot, I use it for business and try to keep everything legal/up and up. Why is it so tough to just be on the up and up?

Upvote 0
I dont think anyone is telling you not be on the up-n-up. It sounds to me like they're trying to help you make your own loop-hole around Sprints loop-hole. I have gone round and round and round with Sprint. Been a customer for the past 10-12 years (cant remember exactly which). At this time, Sprint offers the best deal for my needs. They also have unlimited data. I've been running a rooted Samsung Moment for the past 3 years. I use it strictly as an 'air card' and maybe a bail-out phone call when my Evo dies. If I got back to an air card and put my other 2 phones on individual "Everything-Unlimited" plans, I would actually pay less but, I lose the option of a back-up phone. It's 'check & balances'. Who really makes out? We both do. Sprint keeps a customer, makes a few $$'s more a month and gives me some options.

I wish you the best with your issues. I'd love to hear how it turns out.

Upvote 0
Yeah, it is pretty unbelievable since I've never had issues with Sprint all these years up until this point. To answer the question, I was in the process of buying the LTE when it came to the bait and switch point. If they would have said up front that I had to change the plan I wouldn't have said let's go ahead with the purchase. Instead they said I wouldn't, everything would stay the same. I asked repeatedly to make sure. It was only after they started the process that it came up I had to change plans which is when I said stop. Never even saw or touched the new phone.

Working with another retention agent and they are going to call me back within 24 hours. Tick tock tick tock....

As to juarezing the hotspot, I use it for business and try to keep everything legal/up and up. Why is it so tough to just be on the up and up?

That does sound extremely frustrating. :(

If the hotspot is used for business is there any way you can count it as a business expense?
Or since you are receiving a generous discount already based upon your employer maybe you can look at the new extra cost as part of that discount?

It really stinks that they are taking away unlimited hotspot and changing the policy especially since you are probably among the few that are actually paying for the ability.
(they are likely changing up the policy based on the lot that are abusing the privilege, "over-using" it, or ducking the charges)

At any rate, they should at least let you choose to go back to the plan you were on with unlimited hotspot and no extra cost. It would be the honorable thing to do.
If they can't get around the new data limit and charges ask if they can credit your account for the foreseeable future to counteract their mistake.

Does that mean they re-upped your contract for another 2 years and reset your upgrade date as well? You might want to check into that.

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0

I think you have to understand that sometimes it's about the paygrade. I can't think of when they stopped the unlimited tether plan, but it's been a while. I'm sure the person helping you had no clue this would happen, which is why I referenced the paygrade. I understand your frustration, but you were costing sprint money with your unlimited tethering plan. They were just chomping at the bit to get you off of it, hence the reason you aren't getting much help getting it reinstated. You can try retentions, etc and you may get it back, but if I were you I wouldn't have my business dependent on this plan because sometime in the future Sprint is going to send you a letter saying you will be taken off that plan. The reason I say this is because I think anyone who was on the old plan was already supposed to be changed to the tiered plan. So if you want to be completely legit, then you'll need to update to the tiered tethering.

Upvote 0
They told me everything is tiered now including AirCards which is BS. We have USB Sprint AirCards here at work and they are still unlimited. I just ordered some additional ones this spring. I can use one of them for my laptop but that doesn't help my Xoom tablet. It's just easier in general to turn on the hotspot and use either the laptop or tablet. The 2gig plan is going to be too small and 6gig might be a stretch at times if I need to download a bunch of ISO's/software/blah. Ultimately I do want the LTE so it will be interesting to see how this works out. Really kills me now when I see a Sprint commercial touting the "Unlimited Data" and I can't even buy it. Even worse I had it....

Upvote 0
I always like to do my business by the chat box on their website because they email you a copy of the chat and you yourself can copy and paste it somewhere to save.

The chat box box is nice for the reason you stated, I agree. But the folks that are on the chat box are low tier reps that don't really have much power to get anything major done. At least that was my experience with an early upgrade. I tried on chat and they recommend I call or email because he didn't have to power to do it. I email Dan@... And got my upgrade move up 3 mos no questions asked.

Just my experience.

Upvote 0
Well, the 24 hours came and went so I called them. New set of people but they appeared to know I called yesterday even though the ticket number I was given didn't seem to relate to anything. More attempts at being helpful while keeping me on hold and now supposedly a call back by 5:00 today. All because I was legit and would like to stay legit.

Upvote 0
I called them again and got another new person. They said they would escalate but also said it was already escalated. Not promising so I gave in, they gave me an $80 one time credit and said they would wave activation on a new phone. Interesting part was I asked how much data I used on my hotspot so I could gauge what size plan I need. My bills don't show anything I assume because I was unlimited. They couldn't tell, just had a total usage in general. Wonder how they track it now? Are packets tagged in some manner dependent on source?

Upvote 0
It would be good to know if they can tag packets to see if you're using the hotspot or not to use data.

I want to know because I'm one of those "on the up and up" folks just for the principle, no business reason. Yeah, I know, I'm a sucker...

I haven't been forced to switch to a tiered plan. I still pay the old price of $29.99 allegedly for unlimited hotspot. I don't use very much data on my hotspot so I've been thinking of dropping it. Now I'm afraid to do so since I may not be able to get unlimited back.

Crap! I just checked my account and I'm paying $29.99 for 5 GB per month now. I didn't even realize that it has changed. That sucks. Unlimited is supposed to be unlimited.

Now I'm thinking of dumping the hotspot and using the "work around" suggested above. I know I'm one of the minority who actually pays to use the hotspot. My only concern is that they can "tag" packets to see that I'm using the hotspot when I don't have a hotspot plan. I really don't want to get kicked off of Sprint for violating my contract.

Upvote 0
Now I'm thinking of dumping the hotspot and using the "work around" suggested above. I know I'm one of the minority who actually pays to use the hotspot. My only concern is that they can "tag" packets to see that I'm using the hotspot when I don't have a hotspot plan. I really don't want to get kicked off of Sprint for violating my contract.

From what others have reported, Sprint is more likely to send you a nastygram if they catch you using a work-around, rather than simply terminating your contract. Do you use your hotspot a lot? I have the work-around installed myself, but use it so infrequently* that they've never bothered to ask me about it.

*A couple times a year at most.

Upvote 0
From what others have reported, Sprint is more likely to send you a nastygram if they catch you using a work-around, rather than simply terminating your contract. Do you use your hotspot a lot? I have the work-around installed myself, but use it so infrequently* that they've never bothered to ask me about it.

*A couple times a year at most.

I use it several times per week, so I don't know if that would put me on their radar.

Honestly, I think it's really incredibly stupid to charge extra for a feature that the phone is designed to use that really doesn't tax the network any more than using the data on the phone. It seems like an easy way to make extra $$$ without having to do any work to make it. It's kind of a superfluous fee, really. (I won't bring up that other "smart phone fee" because there is a hint of logic for that one. At least they can argue that smart phones tax the network more than other phones.) But really, what does it matter whether I use my data on my phone versus using it on my computer? I'm going to still use the same amount of data either way. And my phone is much more powerful and holds more data than my computer. I'm just sayin'...

Upvote 0
But really, what does it matter whether I use my data on my phone versus using it on my computer? I'm going to still use the same amount of data either way.

It matters because Sprint advertises their unlimited data for their PHONES, not "anything you can connect to it". It's not meant to be a home internet replacement like some like to use it for, or XBOX/PS3 gaming..

Upvote 0
It matters because Sprint advertises their unlimited data for their PHONES, not "anything you can connect to it". It's not meant to be a home internet replacement like some like to use it for, or XBOX/PS3 gaming..

Honestly, I use my phone for all home internet purposes anyway. What difference would it make for the network if I used my hotspot instead? I'd still be using the same amount of data at the same crappy Sprint speeds.

Upvote 0
Honestly, I use my phone for all home internet purposes anyway. What difference would it make for the network if I used my hotspot instead? I'd still be using the same amount of data at the same crappy Sprint speeds.

You may not use that much data, but there are plenty of people who use 100+ GBs a month, that's when it gets to be a problem. Why do you think every other carrier moved to tiered plans?

Reactions: BenChase7
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones