• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Sprint Gets new Nexus.

Sprint confirms Galaxy Nexus release date: coming April 22nd for $200, preorders open now -- Engadget

Well its official now but here are my problems with it.

1) They are about 5 months late. Why is Sprint so behind on getting everything? Most phones seem to come later to Sprint and lets not even get into LTE.

2) Its being advertised as a "pure Google" device. After the Nexus S 4G debacle, does anyone REALLY believe this is a "pure" Google device? The whole point of owning a Nexus branded phone is to not have carrier bloatware and to get the newest version of Android as soon as its released. Two things the Nexus S 4G failed miserably at. This is NOT a pure Google phone.

3) Sure, its LTE capable, but where is LTE available on Sprint? Like nowhere. Its not Wimax capable which means you will be running this on 3G until LTE becomes available to your area? Yea, no thanks. That could be 2014.

If it bothers you that much, don't buy it. I think that's common sense.

Upvote 0
Sprint confirms Galaxy Nexus release date: coming April 22nd for $200, preorders open now -- Engadget

Well its official now but here are my problems with it.

1) They are about 5 months late. Why is Sprint so behind on getting everything? Most phones seem to come later to Sprint and lets not even get into LTE.

2) Its being advertised as a "pure Google" device. After the Nexus S 4G debacle, does anyone REALLY believe this is a "pure" Google device? The whole point of owning a Nexus branded phone is to not have carrier bloatware and to get the newest version of Android as soon as its released. Two things the Nexus S 4G failed miserably at. This is NOT a pure Google phone.

3) Sure, its LTE capable, but where is LTE available on Sprint? Like nowhere. Its not Wimax capable which means you will be running this on 3G until LTE becomes available to your area? Yea, no thanks. That could be 2014.

1. They were the first US carrier with the GSII variant.

2. It's pure google, there is no Sprint bloat on the device.

3. I'm in Houston and will be one of the first with Sprint LTE, sorry for your luck.

Reactions: BenChase7
Upvote 0
1. They were the first US carrier with the GSII variant.

2. It's pure google, there is no Sprint bloat on the device.

3. I'm in Houston and will be one of the first with Sprint LTE, sorry for your luck.

The Nexus S 4G is supposedly a pure Google device too. Why did it take 6 months to get the ICS update if pure Google phones are supposed to get them as soon as they are released?

Upvote 0
The Nexus S 4G is supposedly a pure Google device too. Why did it take 6 months to get the ICS update if pure Google phones are supposed to get them as soon as they are released?

No where has Google EVER said the Nexus phones get updated immediately when the next iteration is released. It's not magic, it's software, bugs have to be worked out, even on Vanilla builds of Android.

Upvote 0
No where has Google EVER said the Nexus phones get updated immediately when the next iteration is released. It's not magic, it's software, bugs have to be worked out, even on Vanilla builds of Android.

But it should not have taken so long. The OTA update to the Tmobile Nexus S happened months ago and there were no noticeable bugs for the average user.

Reactions: la sal
Upvote 0

Everyone knows that the nexus line is supposed to get,its no secret. The first Nexus . delayed. Why call it the google nexus then? As usual, sprint dropped the ball on it and Google was saying they may not even release another cdma nexus

Upvote 0
Everyone knows that the nexus line is supposed to get,its no secret. The first Nexus . delayed. Why call it the google nexus then? As usual, sprint dropped the ball on it and Google was saying they may not even release another cdma nexus

The only actual point of the Nexus line is offer customers a STOCK Android experience. The updates are provided from Google, not Sprint. The Nexus line does and did get the update. unforeseen issues can arise. If you can't get that through your head I don't know what else to say.

Upvote 0
The only actual point of the Nexus line is offer customers a STOCK Android experience. The updates are provided from Google, not Sprint. The Nexus line does and did get the update. unforeseen issues can arise. If you can't get that through your head I don't know what else to say.

Wrong. The updates will NOT come from Google, they no longer support CDMA Nexus devices. Updates will come from Sprint or Verizon...and this is why anyone thinking about buying a Galaxy Nexus on Sprint should think VERY carefully.

Google ends full support for CDMA devices, including Verizon’s Galaxy Nexus | Android Community

Google will still support the Galaxy Nexus LTE, Nexus S 4G and XOOM CDMA, at least as long as the hardware is compatible with updated versions of Android. But it won’t be with the same direct support that GSM developer devices enjoy. This probably means that updates to the Galaxy Nexus will come through Verizon… just like all the other Android phones out there. Presumably that gives Verizon or any other CDMA carrier the option to either delay or ignore the update. This isn’t an agreeable position for many Nexus S, Galaxy Nexus and XOOM owners, as it sullies the “pure Google experience” that’s expected (if not explicitly promised) from a developer device.

Reactions: la sal
Upvote 0
walked into 2 sprint stores yesterday...
store 1) "will you match wireflys price for the Galaxy Nexus?"....reply: "is that a new phone and what is wirefly"
I walked out
store 2) same question... reply: "it's on back order but if u are a sprint customer I can jump you to near the top of the line"
"but do you match prices?"......"no"

Wirefly it is, and BTW looks like free activation till 4-26 midnight. Nice

Free activation for NEW accts only....bummer

Upvote 0
walked into 2 sprint stores yesterday...
store 1) "will you match wireflys price for the Galaxy Nexus?"....reply: "is that a new phone and what is wirefly"
I walked out
store 2) same question... reply: "it's on back order but if u are a sprint customer I can jump you to near the top of the line"
"but do you match prices?"......"no"

Wirefly it is, and BTW looks like free activation till 4-26 midnight. Nice

Free activation for NEW accts only....bummer

How does wirefly work when it comes to returns or exchanges? I never get insurance, but my Evo had a hardware defect (covered under warranty) and I just exchanged it in store. Do returns need to be mande by mail to wirefly?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones