• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Sprints announcement thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Upvote 0
I've known about this for about a month now like I said I'd gladly put my money where my mouth is but feel free to challenge my "theory". This is not to say something else might not be announced but the 3D phone was suppose to be released early Feb and got pushed back and not shown at CES thanks to a hunch that Apple would ruin a CES unveiling, Blaine was originally hired for a CES performance not this event.

Upvote 0
If it's a 3D phone then I'll be highly disappointed. Seriously it's a gimmick. What good would a 3-4" display be for 3D? I wouldn't waste my money on this.

It's not just the 3D part that's supposed to be tempting, I have little to no information about the device itself as I only know about the Blaine event because I work in the entertainment industry and knew about Blaine's CES booking which never happened. But if it's the device I'm thinking (and no one else that I know of is making a 3D device in Q1 2011) it's the HTC Sabor 4.0"-4.3" HTC DUAL CORE Android device with 3 camera sensors. The unicorned HTC Evo 2 (don't quote me on the name they could name it the HTC Unicorn for all I know) but Blaine was booked to do a visual illusion performance to help Sprint market a new flagship 3D device and I HIGHLY doubt it's a tablet since not even Sharp has shown 3D screens that big that require no glasses and LOTS of Android blogs and tech sites all got invites.

Upvote 0
It's not just the 3D part that's supposed to be tempting, I have little to no information about the device itself as I only know about the Blaine event because I work in the entertainment industry and knew about Blaine's CES booking which never happened. But if it's the device I'm thinking (and no one else that I know of is making a 3D device in Q1 2011) it's the HTC Sabor 4.0"-4.3" HTC DUAL CORE Android device with 3 camera sensors. The unicorned HTC Evo 2 (don't quote me on the name they could name it the HTC Unicorn for all I know) but Blaine was booked to do a visual illusion performance to help Sprint market a new flagship 3D device and I HIGHLY doubt it's a tablet since not even Sharp has shown 3D screens that big that require no glasses and LOTS of Android blogs and tech sites all got invites.
Please explain to me what 3 camera sensors does? I'm not sure what the benefit of that is. Still I don't get what a 3D screen this small does for you. I'm not even interested in 3D on my tv let alone my phone.

Reactions: marctronixx
Upvote 0
Please explain to me what 3 camera sensors does? I'm not sure what the benefit of that is. Still I don't get what a 3D screen this small does for you. I'm not even interested in 3D on my tv let alone my phone.

Well, 3 sensors would probably mean it shoots 3D video 2 on the back and one front facing I don't know these are all rumors and Google can produce links. I'm more excited about getting a dual core Android set on Sprint than the 3D really and the fact that it will more than likely ship with HTC's new Sense UI out of the box.

Edit:
http://androidevolutions.com/tag/htc-sabor/

Theres a link

Reactions: Mr. Ed
Upvote 0
3d on a 4" screen? Who gives a flying f*ck? Seriously. One more thing to turn you into an anti social vegetable while tuning out the rest of the world. I just don't get the fascination ith it. For some big screen movies yes, but the craze I just don't get. It's not something revolutionary if only a handful of people think it's cool and will make use of it. They can't even market the evo right. I hope it's something more tangible and useful to he masses.

Reactions: marctronixx
Upvote 0

Hoping its a 4" to make it smaller/thinner then the Evo. Imo its too big and if this device is smaller then Evo and without a keyboard(idk why every phone Sprint releases has one)then I will jump on it on launch day.

3d on a 4" screen? Who gives a flying f*ck? Seriously. One more thing to turn you into an anti social vegetable while tuning out the rest of the world. I just don't get the fascination ith it. For some big screen movies yes, but the craze I just don't get. It's not something revolutionary if only a handful of people think it's cool and will make use of it. They can't even market the evo right. I hope it's something more tangible and useful to he masses.

/raise

Like PP said its more about it being a superphone and the 3D can supposedly be turned off. I would love to have it on my phone though and I will likely order one at full retail.

Upvote 0
No offense to you, but it just seems like something that will appeal to such a limited user base outsie of the initial cool/wow factor. For a company that still has a huge retention problem and continually proves it has no clue how to market to its or its products strengths, just don't see it as a game changer or them.

The initial cool/wow factor is the entire purpose of this phone campaign, once they have you locked into contract or thinking about something else other than leaving Sprint for Verizon's new iPhone their job is done. The idea here is to minimize as much damage as possible and hopefully gain a few new customers in the process. Now 3D on HDTVs is a joke right now, on a phone other than to brag and show it off every ONCE in a while it's completely useless as well.

But that doesn't take away that the phone will pack other heavy features that will be hard to contend with look past 3D, HTC's new super-amoled screen a 4"+ screen a DUAL CORE processor the fact that if it's a new HTC phone the new Sense UI is almost guaranteed to be on your phone and to add more wood in the fire they'll probably call it the EVO 2. So if you think people will buy this for the3D you're nuts but you need to look past the 3D and accept that the phone will probably be a super phone in it's own right and we're just judging a great phone based on one of it's minor selling points and ignoring everything else about it. Get over the 3D features and look at it as a whole.

Upvote 0
Just returned my piece of sh!t phone i bought in december called the Samsung Transform. Now I'm waiting for this date February 7th, thinking of all the different things it could be.
Iphone 5 (4G and Wimax)?
A HTC based phone with 3 Cameras (for 3D pictures) and a complete 3D experience?
Playstation Phone?
Palm Pre 2?
Blackberry Playbook (already been announced)
4G Galaxy Tab?
Sprint Buying TMobile (kind of kidding)
$70 Dollar Unlimited Everything Plan?!?
LTE?
2.3 (i.e. Gingerbread) for Android phones?\

Take your pick, I really want a IPhone or Playstation Phone...
Any would be pretty great except for the Tablets, I hate those things.
Whatever happens there should be more to come at the Convention in Belgium Feb. 14-16 I think it is.

Upvote 0
And "iPhone 5" will probably won't happen on Sprint. And I also doubt it will be called iPhone 5.

I just want an HTC phone with a Super AMOLED/Super AMOLED Plus/Super LCD display and/or a display resolution of 640x960, at least a 1 GHz Hummingbird processor or one of the second-gen Snapdragons, Android 2.3 or Android 2.2.1 and upgradeable to 2.3 in the future, dual cameras (at least 5 MP primary), and 4G of course. A physical keyboard would also be a plus.

Upvote 0
Sure they could, everyone was looking for a verizon iphone, the componets for Sprint phone would be almost identical.

Except for the whole Wimax part of it. Likely that could of drawn some attention.

This is a slightly possible because its nearly impossible so that would fit with the description.

A tablet would not make sense and tbh I wouldn't be surprised if it was something as weak as a 4G tab which no one should care about. Not to mention that the 4G playbook has already been announced and shown so its not exactly an industry first.

Upvote 0
The initial cool/wow factor is the entire purpose of this phone campaign, once they have you locked into contract or thinking about something else other than leaving Sprint for Verizon's new iPhone their job is done.

But that is a 100% failure. Taking away the yearly upgrades in april, would make offering any phone on the network pointless. I will not do the contracts with the 22 month upgrade. It would be stupid to do so. DO THE MATH.

Take about 10 bucks each month, 220 dollars over 22 is more then they will give you for a discount, and you get more money if you just buy the full phone with contract.

Upvote 0
But that is a 100% failure. Taking away the yearly upgrades in april, would make offering any phone on the network pointless. I will not do the contracts with the 22 month upgrade. It would be stupid to do so. DO THE MATH.

Hey River, you confuse me, but that is easy to do, so no worries; anyways, who is removing the yearly upgrades in April?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones