• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Star 228 send option 2

This option is used to update ur roaming capabilities. Also aligns your phone with any towers around the area that you are located at that time. It improves your signal so its also a good idea to do this when you are in a place that you visit alot or if you go out of town. I also think that if their is extra info or packets of info for that tower, you phone will receive it and improve your reception.

Upvote 0
When we get our phones, we have to do a *228 option 1 to activate, then *228 option 2 for roaming capabilities. It updates the PRL file. (Preferred Roaming List).

Actually, there's an easier way to do both at once. You can dial *22899 and you're set.
This isn't vital information for regular DX users, but vital for root users and regular users who have done a factory reset on their phones.

When you do a factory reset, you have to update your PRL. When, as a root user, you install a fresh rom, wiping data, cache and system, it's just as if you're starting from scratch. If you don't update in either situation, then you will have very poor call quality. Trust me, I was getting complaints from people on the other end of my calls. When I installed a fresh rom, updated from eclair to froyo or did a factory reset, I didn't know to update the actual phone! It sounded awful

So, whenever you get a replacement phone from VZW, you have to do the same thing. My daughter needed her Incredible replaced. She sounded terrible until I told her to do a *22899. Muuuuch better after.

So, yeah, keep updating your phones. You'll only benefit from doing it!

Happy Thanksgiving! :)

Upvote 0
Do we need to do a *22899? I did that once awhile ago and my reception seemed worse to be honest.

I normally just do a *228 option 2 after I flash a ROM and I'm good to go.

Brother,

*22899 is the same as *228 option 1 AND 2. Would your reception be worse because of that? No. Also, you should get in the habit of doing both options 1 and 2 when clearing system.

Finallly, if you reception is cruddy, there is a tweak in phone system tweak, that I did but forget. Let me know if you want me to get it for you.

Reactions: Trooper
Upvote 0
Brother,

*22899 is the same as *228 option 1 AND 2. Would your reception be worse because of that? No. Also, you should get in the habit of doing both options 1 and 2 when clearing system.

Finallly, if you reception is cruddy, there is a tweak in phone system tweak, that I did but forget. Let me know if you want me to get it for you.

Well I basically have to activate the phone when I flash a ROM, and I end up doing option 2 afterwards. Good to know I can get both done with one call. :)

As for the reception, you can shoot it my way if you find it. No rush!

Thanks brother!

Upvote 0
Some people have reported to have better quality on the default setting then from the
custom setting. Some have also reported that the custom setting makes them sound crystal clear. Use at your own discretion.

Step 1 – Dial ##7764726 (##PROGRAM) and press SEND
Step 2 – Enter 000000 (six zeros), for the SPC Password and press Verify
Step 3 – Press “04 Vocode”
Step 4 – Press EVRC-B then Apply
Step 5 – The phone should automatically reset a few seconds afterward. If not, power cycle the phone.
Done

This changes how the phone compresses and decompresses the call audio which improves the quality"

To undo just follow steps 1-3 again and instead of pressing EVRC-B select EVRC then apply

Reactions: GrandMasterB
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones