• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Switching from iPhone 3G to HTC Inspire - any cost difference? also random ?s

So I have had an iPhone 3G since it came out basically many moons ago. Jailbroke it a couple months ago and that was the worst idea ever since I went from the unjailbreakable OS 4.x software and had to edit computer files. Needless to say I can never unjailbreak my phone and go back to stock which sucks since I lost live traffic and the phone crashes often.

So without a long autobiography I am looking to jump ship to the HTC Inspire on ATT network. I am on my parent's plan which was grandfathered in when it was still Cingular and we get exceptionally cheap rates. I have the unlimited talk and text and I think a high data plan although I just use the phone as is no tethering or anything like that. Will I see an increase, decrease, or will my bill stay the same? I don't want to be duped by ATT staff into a different plan when I can work with my same plan. Also, does the HTC Sense website and features cost anything? I like the advertised bricking and locating of phones via internet. Do they charge to do this? Is it an a la carte service, monthly fee, or do you get it free for life or period of months with phone purchase?

Also new to the Droid world. Is app price similar? What apps should I absolutely look into besides the standard social networks and little games? Is there a service to buy songs like iTunes per song vs. monthly fee? I usually download music via other avenues but if I hear a song and want it well...you know.

Customization is raved about. Is there an app to make custom ringtones and custom sound bits for people to listen to as they call you? Or is it standard in settings? Is there a fee to make ringtones as there is with the iPhone, if so, how much?

Thanks in advance!!

For ringtones you can use ringdroid and edit your own mp3 files or you can use Zedge and download premade ringtones. For music there are a bunch of apps in the market to download mp3's. I use it if I hear a song I like and want it right then and there. Also what's cool is any mp3 you download will show up with the other mp3 files that you have on the phone.

Your plan will stay the same through the upgrade unless you decide to change it unless someone makes a mistake. I used a non existent talk plan on my parents account for years until I opened my own account.

Apps on iOS are usually more expensive and there's more free apps on Android but I would get an iPod Touch for games as iOS has a better game selection.

Reactions: rideelement247
Upvote 0
For ringtones you can use ringdroid and edit your own mp3 files or you can use Zedge and download premade ringtones. For music there are a bunch of apps in the market to download mp3's. I use it if I hear a song I like and want it right then and there. Also what's cool is any mp3 you download will show up with the other mp3 files that you have on the phone.

Your plan will stay the same through the upgrade unless you decide to change it unless someone makes a mistake. I used a non existent talk plan on my parents account for years until I opened my own account.

Apps on iOS are usually more expensive and there's more free apps on Android but I would get an iPod Touch for games as iOS has a better game selection.
When you download a ringtone from Zedge are you able to make it for text message notifications? Or can you not make custom text sounds?

Upvote 0
When you download a ringtone from Zedge are you able to make it for text message notifications? Or can you not make custom text sounds?

Yes, but you need to get astro file and then go to the zedge folder and move the sound or song to the notifications file in your media folder. If there is no notifications folder just create one. Also when your in your sounds for text check at the top for the get more button and make sure its not there first. But most of the sms tones from zedge can be set to text.

Upvote 0
So I have had an iPhone 3G since it came out basically many moons ago. Jailbroke it a couple months ago and that was the worst idea ever since I went from the unjailbreakable OS 4.x software and had to edit computer files. Needless to say I can never unjailbreak my phone and go back to stock which sucks since I lost live traffic and the phone crashes often.

So without a long autobiography I am looking to jump ship to the HTC Inspire on ATT network. I am on my parent's plan which was grandfathered in when it was still Cingular and we get exceptionally cheap rates. I have the unlimited talk and text and I think a high data plan although I just use the phone as is no tethering or anything like that. Will I see an increase, decrease, or will my bill stay the same? I don't want to be duped by ATT staff into a different plan when I can work with my same plan. Also, does the HTC Sense website and features cost anything? I like the advertised bricking and locating of phones via internet. Do they charge to do this? Is it an a la carte service, monthly fee, or do you get it free for life or period of months with phone purchase?

Also new to the Droid world. Is app price similar? What apps should I absolutely look into besides the standard social networks and little games? Is there a service to buy songs like iTunes per song vs. monthly fee? I usually download music via other avenues but if I hear a song and want it well...you know.

Customization is raved about. Is there an app to make custom ringtones and custom sound bits for people to listen to as they call you? Or is it standard in settings? Is there a fee to make ringtones as there is with the iPhone, if so, how much?

Thanks in advance!!
I know exactally what you mean by other means. Its really easy, just drag and drop like windows. Need to connect phone and turn off debugging and set to drive storage and open it up to find your music folder and well dragem over to it and done!

Also, check out this cool app called doubletwist airsync, you can sync your itunes playlists over wifi and then play the music from your phone on your ps3 or xbox. It costs but there is ways around that.

Upvote 0

Thanks in advance!!

I know most of your questions were already answered but just thought I'd throw in my 2 cents.

I was also grandfathered in (with unlimited data only) and have had zero problems with added fees or anything of the sort. You shouldn't have any problems at all.

HTCsense.com is a free service. I personally haven't checked it out yet, but I think it's an awesome addition.

My personal MUST HAVE apps are: Facebook, anMoney (pricey but worth it, best money management app in my opinion), Pandora, Pulse Reader (or NewsRob - both are RSS readers that can be synced with google reader, tho I prefer Pulse now cos it's prettier on the eye :D), Root Explorer (or any of file manager for that matter - Root Explorer is used for Rooted phones, but you can find many other free file manager apps out there), PicSayPro is an awesome app for editing pictures, Movies (same as iPhone).

As for Ringdroid, it's an awesome app. I haven't used it in a while cos I used to have a Nexus One and it was really hard to move the sliders to the specific part of the song cos of the smaller screen. I'm sure you won't have that problem with this screen tho haha. If you're interested, the way I create my ringtones is by editing them with a program called Audacity. It's free (just google it) and you can make them on your PC then just transfer the files over to your SD card. I make a "media" folder in the root folder of the SD, then make one for ringtones, notifications, etc and they should be available to choose as a tone :)

Hope this helps :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones