• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root System Apps Removal

In my System/App folder is all the apps currently installed by the carrier METROPCS.

Has anyone had any success removing them from this folder without ill effets...

Secondly,

If I were to remove say Browser.apk and Browswer.odex do you think it would cause a system fail??

This browser is Metros and would like to simply just remove them from being installed on a reboot...

Thanks.

Okay getting back to my original question I did an experiment.

I moved the VCard and Loop from MetroPCS apps by choosing the 'Move' option while in the system/app folder and placing them in a folder called "downloads".

I did not reboot my phone just back into settings and saw that on internal storage the app called Loop has an icon next to it much like the contact icon in SMS with a SD card icon over it.

Thus this tells me the phone knows where the app is but it does cause a force close when trying to launch it. This also freed up internal storage from the 27mb I had left to now 49mb free..

Going to move over the Korean Keyboard and Google Books to see if that frees up more internal memory.

Sadly, with just those apps installed (pre-installed) they take up 177 mb of internal memory.

Well off to experiment some more.

Upvote 0
I have free Titanium back up but cant seem to remove theses METRO simple apps.
how did you do it?

First make sure your rooted.

Launch Titanium Backup, Tap Backup/Restore, tap the app you wish to remove and tap "Uninstall" on the right hand side. This will reboot your phone if your on Stock, but it will get rid of the app 100% :D

Hope that helped :)

Sent from my Samsung Admire Running P.U.T.U 2.2

Reactions: 20GT
Upvote 0
Okay getting back to my original question I did an experiment.

I moved the VCard and Loop from MetroPCS apps by choosing the 'Move' option while in the system/app folder and placing them in a folder called "downloads".

I did not reboot my phone just back into settings and saw that on internal storage the app called Loop has an icon next to it much like the contact icon in SMS with a SD card icon over it.

Thus this tells me the phone knows where the app is but it does cause a force close when trying to launch it. This also freed up internal storage from the 27mb I had left to now 49mb free..

Going to move over the Korean Keyboard and Google Books to see if that frees up more internal memory.

Sadly, with just those apps installed (pre-installed) they take up 177 mb of internal memory.

Well off to experiment some more.

All you are doing Is moving your system apps to your downloads folder on your SD card. You may want delete the apps in the downloads folder and download Titanium Backup and permanently remove the rest.

Sent from my Samsung Admire Running P.U.T.U 2.2

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones