• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Task Killer question

shel312

Lurker
Jul 24, 2010
Hi-I am new here and new to the smartphone world. I have had my Eris for about 2 weeks. I use it to check email, facebook, to go online occasionally, and games. When I bought the phone, the Verizon salesman put ATK on my phone--said I needed it. I didn't question it, but I read so many opinions on the forum in regards to task killers--much of which I don't understand.

Basically--what does it do? From what he told me at Verizon, it closes the programs I am no longer using. If I do get rid of it (please tell my in simple language why I should or shouldn't) how do I close the programs?

Thanks in advance for being patient with me. As I said, I have entered an entirely new world with this phone!!

If you're on OSX, press "command," "option," "esc."
If you're in Windows, CTRL Alt Delete.

That is a task manager. The task killer on your phone is no different, and you can set it so it kills tasks automatically, or at the press of a widget "button."

No one has yet to provide a convincing argument for either side of the issue. It just turns into people quoting articles and it turns into a shitstorm after that.

I recommend Advanced Task Killer by ReChild. Try it and see if you like it. If you notice nothing different, delete it and forget it.

Upvote 0
Well that's two against one so far.

But really, it's up to you. I had one, then unistalled it just cuz the one that's already on the phone worked better for me. But then again, I've only tried one other one, so I don't have much else to compare to.

I think having something to stop non-needed stuff from running in the background is a cool feature either way.

Upvote 0
I'm another one against task killers. You can terminate running processes in Android by going into Settings --> Applications ---> Running Services. This is sufficient for stopping hung applications or freeing up memory.

I found that using a Task Killer made me somewhat neurotic about killing tasks. In the end, I found no difference in battery life or performance between using one and not, and I'm no longer constantly checking and killing.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones