• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Temp Root And Device Firmware

Curtis1973

Android Expert
Jul 1, 2012
Greenville,SC USA
The J3 is like many other 5.1.1 roms. Not many legitimate root methods available. Kingroot is no different. It however does offer a temp root method that must be reapplied after each reboot.

What it is good for:

1.Debloating Rom.

2. Customizing Stock Rom.

3. Does Not Trip Knox.

What it is not good for:

Using anything that requires root upon boot of device like Xposed,Init.d,etc.

For now it is the only real root method I have been able to find. It is a guess but I believe the devices kernel will need to be modified in order for proper root to be achieved.

Installing stock firnware in case you run in to issues while debloating and modding your apps and system is the only fall back the device has but works fine. All you have to do is install odin and use it to flash the device 5.1.1 firmware to return to stock. This will reset the device to officical from custom in case you need to use your warranty or wish to sell the device.

Install Kingroot,click to try root. It wont be successful but will offer root method at bottom of app. Press Try It. Now you have temp root. Do not reboot until you install any root ready file manager for debloating and also until you are done debloating. After reboot youll need to repeat the kingroot method again to make other changes.

Firmware For Sprint Variants Android 5.1.1: https://samsung-firmware.org/model/SM-J320P/region/SPR/

Firmware For U.S. Celluar Android 6.0.1 : http://downloadmirror.co/android/2zSD/USC-J320R4TYU1APE1-20160518114917.zip

(Not sure king root will work on the U.S. Cellular version as it is Android 6. But it may. Can give it a try.)

This firmware is for Sprint device variants like Boost and Virgin Mobile. Also is main firmware for Sprint. Use Odin to install the firmware if it is needed. The firmware will revert the device to full unedited stock. For guides on how to use Odin and flashing the firmware in detail use google. Its your pal.

Attachments

• KingrootV4.8.1.apk
    5.5 MB · Views: 3,311
Last edited:
Reactions: bcrichster
And for a little motivation...the device is sweet after debloating and some modding/theming ;)

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-03-05-08-54-53.png
    Screenshot_2016-03-05-08-54-53.png
    356.8 KB · Views: 271
  • Screenshot_2016-03-05-08-54-35.png
    Screenshot_2016-03-05-08-54-35.png
    186 KB · Views: 391
  • Screenshot_2016-03-05-08-54-24.png
    Screenshot_2016-03-05-08-54-24.png
    159.8 KB · Views: 340
  • Screenshot_2016-03-05-08-54-18.png
    Screenshot_2016-03-05-08-54-18.png
    202 KB · Views: 264
Last edited:
Reactions: bcrichster
Upvote 0
Starting to seem like most phones are starting to come out like that. The phone I'm Currently on the lg stylo, if you upgrade to marshmallow you can only get temp root also.

Yeah as for the J3 I am making some slow progress attempting to port cf auto root from another devices recovery.img,cache.img.ext4. The hang up is getting cache.img.ext4 unpacked and repacked successfully. Then I have to get both the modified recovery.img and the new modded cache.img.ext4 packed in the tar.md5 package to be flashed with odin. I have gotten bacis boot and recovery security features diabled to allow access root mode in adb. But is sort of useless unless the stock recovery is modded.

Upvote 0
Never used king root before. When it's just for temp root like this is there still anything left behind for us to cleanup or remove kinguser afterwards?
Not without modifying Super-SuMe to incorporate the latest SuperSu v2.7.0 or making a TWRP to flash the zip itself..
The zips has the automatic kernel mods to enable correctly

Upvote 0
I rooted the J320P once with Kingroot. No issues but then used SuperSU-Me & believe thats what fcked it all up. Rebooted my device && sent it into a permanent bootloop. Couldnt even get the damn thing into recovery mode. Before that came up a message about KNOX. Gave it the option to disable KNOX but only a "decline" button was available. Any .imgs or work-arounds that dreaded security software for this model yet? Im tempted to use Kingroot again w/o SuperSU-Me but skeptical about KNOX tripping

Upvote 0
Refer to the post for TWRP and root listed here on main all things root section. Using kingroot is out dated.

I rooted the J320P once with Kingroot. No issues but then used SuperSU-Me & believe thats what fcked it all up. Rebooted my device && sent it into a permanent bootloop. Couldnt even get the damn thing into recovery mode. Before that came up a message about KNOX. Gave it the option to disable KNOX but only a "decline" button was available. Any .imgs or work-arounds that dreaded security software for this model yet? Im tempted to use Kingroot again w/o SuperSU-Me but skeptical about KNOX tripping

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones