• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Tesco Hudl Tablet - Will not factory reset nor go into safe mode

Hello clever people.

I am very computer literate and an electronic service engineer but not very Android knowledgeable. I have spent hours researching this problem and trying every suggestion and have now admitted defeat. So I am turning to the experts and hope someone here has the patience to help me out. I have not posted elsewhere.

I have a Tesco Hudl tablet, (not the Hudl 2), running Android 4.2.2. It has been running slowly for some time but basically all was working fine until a few days ago.

It is not rooted and has only ever had software installed from Google Play.

Last week I installed 2 apps - A game called Push the Ball (which I don't suspect) and an app called Virgin Beam for playing movies on Virgin Trains. 4 days ago, I travelled to London and back and accessed the internet from both Manchester and London Euston's first class lounges and onboard the trains. I suspect I may have been hacked on one of these connections.

The first symptoms were repeated pop-up messages saying Google Play app or process was not responding or something similar. This quickly degenerated into endless messages for all sorts of apps and processes (including some I have not used in ages but presumably have some background task running). The tablet was still working, receiving emails and playing games etc but I was constantly interrupted with dismissing these messages.

I tried several times to uninstall the recent two apps. The tablet would either crash, needing the pin in the back to reset it, or say that the apps were uninstalled but they were still there after a restart.

Two days ago, a new problem arrived. Two warning triangles would appear saying that I needed to re-enter my gmail password. One I think was for email and the other for the Google account. It was however still receiving emails. Entering the password did not seem to help and was either rejected or it would just ask again. Fearing that my account had been compromised, I changed my Google password using my iMac. I have to re-enter the new password on the Hudl to access Google Play (when it doesn't crash) but can't get rid of the triangles. It is still receiving mail even before I re-enter the password it claims to need.

I am sure that I had a virus scanner installed (Avast I think) but there is no sign of it being there now. Maybe I deleted it a while ago when I had a tidy up trying to make it run a bit faster. I tried installing it again and also a backup app but had similar problems to the apps I tried to remove. Either they said they had installed but were not there or the Hudl crashed and they were not there after a forced reboot.

I have tried many times to restart into Safe Mode using the long hold on Power Off method. It never restarts in safe mode. I have not found any button combination to force safe mode from a cold start. The Hudl just has power, volume up and down and the pin-hole reset on the back.

I removed the additional SD card but that has made no difference. Last night I used DroidNAS to copy everything I could to my iMac. No problems doing that apart from regularly dismissing messages for various bits of software that the Hudl reckons are not working.

As there is nothing I care enough about losing, the obvious next thing was to do a factory reset. I have tried using both the option in Settings and the Power and Vol Up startup method. Both bring up the recovery menu which I navigate with the volume buttons and select with the power button. I have selected factory reset and clear cache LOADS of times in the last two days. Every time the Hudl reboots as though nothing has changed. All apps are there, email still comes in, the 2 warning triangles, incessant "this, that or the other has stopped" messages and I still can't get into Safe Mode.

So as a last resort, I tried using Android Device Manager on my iMac to send a remote erase device command. Now, the tablet will boot into the recovery menu from where I can try to reset to factory or just select reboot. Then it will restart as normal. When it restarts, everything is still there but after 20 seconds or so it will now shut itself down and restart into the recovery menu. Using the pin reset on the back just makes it restart to the recovery menu too.

My hunch is it has one of two problems:
a) I have either been infected with something very nasty, probably while on a public network on the train or station.
b) There is a hardware issue preventing writes to the solid-state storage. This could explain why no app installs or removals will stick and the factory reset and even the command to reboot in safe mode get forgotten when it reboots.

Sorry this was so lengthy. Can anyone help?

Martin

Sounds to me like it's got some serious malfunction, and frankly I think it's probably had it, that's it. Hudl was only a cheapo supermarket device anyway, and ultimately disposable, so quality and long term reliability probably not the best. And Tesco discontinued it a while back. So they won't be interested in offering any repairs or replacements for it. I don't think it was hacked with a virus from a train ride. More likely there's some quality problem due to cheapo substandard B or C grade components that caused the firmware to corrupt, as an electronics service engineer you should understand that. :)

Not even sure who manufactured the thing, possibly Wistron.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks for your reply. I suspect you are correct. It is looking like the storage has gone read only which would explain why a command to restart in Safe Mode or any installs or uninstalls don't stick. While I guess an infection could alter the way the storage works, it is looking more an more like a hardware malfunction in the EEPROM.

Upvote 0
I looked into the possibility of re-flashing it. It appears that there is no USB communication. I can't connect over USB to my computer nor can I access a memory stick with an OTG adaptor. There is no sign of a USB device present either in normal mode, debugging mode or flashing mode. I can connect using Droid NAS and transfer a file that way. The file is even visible on the Hudl but when restarted it has gone. The crazy thing is it is still downloading emails, Amazon and notifications just forgetting everything when power cycled. Any thoughts?

Upvote 0
I have exactly the same problem. I have tried deleting loads of things but when I reboot everything is back as it was. If I install something, it disappears on reboot. Factory reset does nothing even though it says everything will be deleted and not recoverable. But nothing changes, I've tried everything, deleting my accounts, deleting antivrus - turning off any backup ---- but everything returns to what it was before. Totally baffled.

Upvote 0
Mmmm. 86 views and no responses. Have I baffled you all? Please chip in if you have any ideas how I can reset this back to factory.
Thanks,
Martin
Hia Martin I have had this issue on not one not two but 5 blooming devices
I'm disabled ♿ so only sit at home playing games, and in two years the SAME thing keeps happening!! I have come to believe that like hoovers, microwaves, freezers ect Android have built in crash systems that do this to make you buy new. I have scoured the Web for years and this issue is massive and world wide, I can't understand why Android haven't addressed the issue as it gives them bad press, unless they are the ones doing it?? I might be parranoid but 5x the problem gives me plenty of food for thought to think this.
I'm sorry I can't help but just wanted to give you a reply as I think the 80+ views are ppl with same issue but no fix.
If you by some act of God do find a fix pls pls pls let me know.
seanfellows8@gmail.com. Is my email. Thanks Shaun.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones