• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

The Droid X is $199 and $70/mo without the $10/mo "premium data" fee...

I posted it because quite a few people are pissed about the fee and might want to know of the news before they're 30 day return policy expires.

I'd rather give people affected by the fee the knowledge of options available rather than hide it from them just so I could feel better about my purchase.

Dude why are posting this? You know the plans are not the same:thinking:

Upvote 0
People dont forget to add another $2.99 for the Visual Voice Mail(for Verizon). Sprint includes this on there plans.

Might be not much, but does adds up.

Verizon doesn't require that and there are many alternatives you can use.
So it's best to only compare required services/costs.

It's an apples to oranges comparison.

1. When Verizon does roll out 4G you might pay a premium then.
2. no unlimited mobile to mobile
3. Data cap? Tethering fees? Wifi hotspot?

Either way I'm not going to worry about this now as I am locked into sprint. My gf is looking to upgrade but stay with sprint so its a shame this doesn't come out for sprint. I guess we will see what samsung has to offer before she pulls the trigger on an EVO.

Agree, the two aren't completely equal. But I don't like when people try to use "mobile to mobile" as a comparison. For me I literally do not know anyone outside of Verizon Wireless. I know there are many around town, but those that I call use VZW. So that feature doesn't appeal to everyone. I also like that those I call won't be draining their minutes talking to me. When LTE drops and the prices/data allowances are announced officially then I'll decide on which carrier I wish to continue business with.

Upvote 0
That makes no sense. So the people that dont have 4g and wont for a very long time have to pay the same exact fee that people that had 4g from the phones launch? Why not have a option to pay the fee and get 4g if you want and if you dont want it then dont pay the fee and Sprint locks out your 4g untill you do want to pay for it?

True, I wish it was that way also. But since Sprint the first with 4G than they can do whatever, and soon att and verzion will follow also. I agree its not fair, and it should be optional, but for now it helps with expansion of their 4G network. Expect everyone else to follow right along too...

Upvote 0
Hrmmm I never thought I'd see the day where Sprint was nickel and diming its customers more than Verizon (the king of overpricing) on a similar high end phone but I guess today's the day. $70/mo vs $80/mo - $240 more over a 2 yr period...

Gizmodo, the Gadget Guide

4g wont be in my area for awhile (Inland Empire, CA) and I probably woupdnt use it anyways due to battery drain so is there any real reason to get the Evo over the DroidX?

If anything I hope this gets Sprint to drop the fee. Competition is great :)

if you really compare a similar Sprint plan to a similar Verizon plan, Sprint is cheaper, which is why i went with them in the first place.

Sprint:
450 anytime min (+free mobile to ANY mobile)
unlimited text
unlimited data
$69.99 + $10 premium data charge = $79.99

Verizon
450 anytime min
unlimited text
unlimited data
$59.99 + 29.99 = $89.98

lets not talk about what you do need. just compare plans that are the same and Sprint wins that.

and as far as specs go, it's a no brainer here as well, imo. Evo has a FF cam, not to mention 4G capable. if you're with Verizon, i'm not so sure i'd jump to this phone as an upgrade. you will be screwing yourself for when they release their next Android after they roll out 4G next year. bet that one will have a FF cam :p

personally, if i were with Verizon, i'd be keeping an eye on the Moto Droid2. i bet it will be cheaper than the Droid X, hence you taking less of a loss on upgrading now when you know you'll upgrade again to a 4G device, that is if you feel you have to upgrade now. just my $.02

i absolutely hate sliders, but the mytouch 3g slide (t-mo) and the Droid2 are slick. i'd buy either.

Upvote 0
if you really compare a similar Sprint plan to a similar Verizon plan, Sprint is cheaper, which is why i went with them in the first place.

Sprint:
unlimited text
unlimited data

Verizon
450 anytime min
unlimited text
capped data
$59.99 + 29.99 = $89.98

I'm not sure why people use the faulty argument of including the text messaging as part of the Verizon plan :thinking:

I am ONLY talking about getting the $70/mo plan for voice + data and using Google Voice to send FREE text messaging...

Google Voice is open for everyone and does this for FREE

If your gonna use an ancient service like text messaging as part of your argument (that is taken care of for FREE by Google Voice) you might as well pay for a pager while your at it :rolleyes:

The free mobile to mobile I could understand though. But I would much rather save $240 myself since I only use about 250 min a month.

Reactions: kevro_86
Upvote 0

Sprint:
unlimited text
unlimited data

Verizon
450 anytime min
unlimited text
capped data
$59.99 + 29.99 = $89.98

lets not talk about what you do need. just compare plans that are the same and Sprint wins that.

and as far as specs go, it's a no brainer here as well, imo. Evo has a FF cam, not to mention 4G capable. if you're with Verizon, i'm not so sure i'd jump to this phone as an upgrade. you will be screwing yourself for when they release their next Android after they roll out 4G next year. bet that one will have a FF cam :p

personally, if i were with Verizon, i'd be keeping an eye on the Moto Droid2. i bet it will be cheaper than the Droid X, hence you taking less of a loss on upgrading now when you know you'll upgrade again to a 4G device, that is if you feel you have to upgrade now. just my $.02

i absolutely hate sliders, but the mytouch 3g slide (t-mo) and the Droid2 are slick. i'd buy either.

I am pretty sure Verizon does not have capped data. The 5gig cap is only on data cards, as many memebrs on this forum have gone over 5gig in the past and nothing has happened.

Upvote 0
Agree, the two aren't completely equal. But I don't like when people try to use "mobile to mobile" as a comparison. For me I literally do not know anyone outside of Verizon Wireless.

Really? You don't know anyone with an iPhone??

To ALL:

I don't know why people try to argue that Sprint is MORE expensive than Verizon.

Let's compare the "unlimited" packages:
For Sprints "unlimited" package (that's unlimited voice, text, and data) its $99.99 + $10 EVO 4g added fee = $109.99

For Verizon's "unlimited" package (unlimited voice, text, and data) it is $89.99 voice & text + $29.99 data = $119.98.

Don't want Unlimited? Then here are the plans:

450 Minute Plans
Sprint - 450 minutes & unlimited text & unlimited data = $69.99 + $10 EVO fee = $79.99
Verizon - 450 minutes & unlimted text + unlimited data = $59.99 + $29.99 = $89.98
Verizon - 450 minutes & no text + unlimited data = $39.99 + $29.99 = 69.98

900 Minute Plans
Sprint - 900 minutes & unlimited text & unlimited data = $89.99 + $10 EVO Fee = $99.99
Verizon - 900 minutes & unlimted text + unlimited data = $79.99 + $29.99 = $109.98
Verizon - 900 minutes & no text + unlimited data = $59.99 + $29.99 = $89.98

So Sprint is cheaper than Verizon if you try to compare even remotely similar plans. But the two carriers are not that different then it comes to price. Basically it is about $10 less per month to go with Sprint than Verizon for comparable plans. You could save up to $10 per month if you don't get any texting with Verizon, but that is not really an option IMHO (do you really expect not to get any texts sent to your Verizon phone number?). Even adding 250 texts with Verizon is $5/mo, so that drops the potential savings down to $5.

Personally I don't care! I'll be getting a Droid X with Verizon.

Let's stop the whinning and stay on topic!

Upvote 0
The never ending Debate. Ill throw my 2 cents in.

I'm on Verizon and I will be getting the Moto X. If Sprint working in my home and my wifes office (she works in a secure building so no adding the booster) I would jump ship in a heartbeat. The Sprint plan would give us way more features for a lot less and with a 25% plan discount to boot........but, Sprint does not work in those areas for us.

The other big thing for me (my opinion so dont flame) is I dont like HTC. I've always been a Moto guy. I know they have there flaws but I pick Moto over the others.

Upvote 0

To ALL:

I don't know why people try to argue that Sprint is MORE expensive than Verizon.

Let's compare the "unlimited" packages:
For Sprints "unlimited" package (that's unlimited voice, text, and data) its $99.99 + $10 EVO 4g added fee = $109.99

For Verizon's "unlimited" package (unlimited voice, text, and data) it is $89.99 voice & text + $29.99 data = $119.98.

Don't want Unlimited? Then here are the plans:

450 Minute Plans
Sprint - 450 minutes & unlimited text & unlimited data = $69.99 + $10 EVO fee = $79.99
Verizon - 450 minutes & unlimted text + unlimited data = $59.99 + $29.99 = $89.98
Verizon - 450 minutes & no text + unlimited data = $39.99 + $29.99 = 69.98

900 Minute Plans
Sprint - 900 minutes & unlimited text & unlimited data = $89.99 + $10 EVO Fee = $99.99
Verizon - 900 minutes & unlimted text + unlimited data = $79.99 + $29.99 = $109.98
Verizon - 900 minutes & no text + unlimited data = $59.99 + $29.99 = $89.98

So Sprint is cheaper than Verizon if you try to compare even remotely similar plans. But the two carriers are not that different then it comes to price. Basically it is about $10 less per month to go with Sprint than Verizon for comparable plans. You could save up to $10 per month if you don't get any texting with Verizon, but that is not really an option IMHO (do you really expect not to get any texts sent to your Verizon phone number?). Even adding 250 texts with Verizon is $5/mo, so that drops the potential savings down to $5.

Personally I don't care! I'll be getting a Droid X with Verizon.

Thanks for laying out the prices like that, wish there was a site somewhere where you could configure exactly what you will be charged monthly (with all the local fees/taxes) before going into a contract. All the calculation sites I've seen don't really nail it down that extensively.

The no text/Google Voice Verizon option has me compelled though. I would think you could avoid texts to your Verizon number completely if you only gave out your Google number. I'm getting a new telephone number regardless so I could see this being a good money saver...

Upvote 0
Ok let's see pay 10 less for just 3G coverage or 10 more for 4G service and its expansion....

I know my answer

What 4g service there isn't 4g tower anywhere in sunny FL. So why pay for something I will not be using. If you are good you at least get something for you 10.00 buck. The rest of us are just being taxed for a service we don't get and seriously how fast do you need a web page to load?

I seriously considered the EVO but when I found out I had to pay for something I don't get I said bye bye. Now VW has a nice big Droid x with no stupid fee. Guess who gets my business?

Upvote 0
Im not sure what options you are picking for your plans with Verizon...but Sprint is still cheaper with the $10 to any comparable plan.

And I sure as hell wouldn't go to Verizon, where I have the same exact great Sprint coverage in my area. But to each their own.

They are not cheaper. Sure they claim everything is unlimited but we all know they really have caps and even though my VW isn't all "unlimited" I get everything I need and then some and never worry about the limit because I never come close to them. I looked at both and they are with in 3.00 if you remove the 10.00 EVO tax. Once I dump my txt plan I save another 10.00 and I get a discount for where I work so I save even more. When all is said and done I have a comparable plan for about 30.00 less.

So if you drop the BUZZ word "unlimited" and look at what you actually use you can find a considerably cheaper plan.

Upvote 0
I don't know why people try to argue that Sprint is MORE expensive than Verizon....

I actually do not. And I hardly call anyone, I either text or IM them since we all have data plans. I had Sprint for six days when the EVO dropped and their add on fees are much higher than Verizon's in this same zip code. It was actually double so my bill (Verizon corp. discount 21% and Sprint corp. discount 25%) was a hair under $5 difference. I cannot use the Sprint features when roaming which we would be at the school where my lady teaches (roaming so m2m doesn't count, data limited to only 300mb according to rep).

Upvote 0
Im not sure what options you are picking for your plans with Verizon...but Sprint is still cheaper with the $10 to any comparable plan.

And I sure as hell wouldnt go to Verizon, where I have the same exact great Sprint coverage in my area. But to each their own.

Sprint and verizon are actually the same price for plans and that i saw it somewhere. Nice avatar btw. Titans all the way lol

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones