• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

The little things...(2.2 Update addons/changes)

can you unlock the screen by pressing either the volume buttons or the optical button with widget locker? because that is the main reason i have lockbot because i cannot stand having to hit the actual unlock button on the top of the phone to unlock my piece.

Yes, widget locker does all of this...it has a TON of options, just have to customize it to your liking.

One of the best apps out there IMO :D

Upvote 0
So since I have had this a couple of days, this is what I got after I went through it.

Good:
Better WiFi
Faster and runs smoother
Live wallpapers run way better
New widgets (yay?)
Different settings
720p recording
Working animated gifs
Bigger t9 keyboard

Bad (oh boy there is a lot):
Flash doesn't work
Music skips a lot
Music if not in mp3 format has no artist
Too much software running
Task killer sees dolphin browser as tunny browser
Browser crashes when flash runs
At some times phone plows way down
Typing lag and lots of errors
Reworked keyboard
Battery sucks
Charging takes longer

Still finding things out so bare with me. Just let me dinc around with it some more (you like that? dinc!) And I'll put more up.

Upvote 0
So since I have had this a couple of days, this is what I got after I went through it.

Good:
Better WiFi
Faster and runs smoother
Live wallpapers run way better
New widgets (yay?)
Different settings
720p recording
Working animated gifs
Bigger t9 keyboard

Bad (oh boy there is a lot):
Flash doesn't work
Music skips a lot
Music if not in mp3 format has no artist
Too much software running
Task killer sees dolphin browser as tunny browser
Browser crashes when flash runs
At some times phone plows way down
Typing lag and lots of errors
Reworked keyboard
Battery sucks
Charging takes longer

Still finding things out so bare with me. Just let me dinc around with it some more (you like that? dinc!) And I'll put more up.

In the browser, make sure the "plugins" settings for Flash are set to either "On Demand" or "Always On" .... it's possible to have Flash disabled.

"Tunny Browser" is what drives the finger-swipe gestures in Dolphin HD. That might be why it's called that in a task-list...

My phone seemed a touch wonky after the update so I just bit the bullet and did a factory reset. Got rid of a lot of the crap I had put on the phone early on when it was new, too. I'm sure that helped some.

Upvote 0
well i thought we would get the "froyo" default lockscreen.. which is an angled slide bar with the option to set your phone to vibrate from it as well as the ability to have a lock screen wallpaper seperate from your homescreen wallpaper.
Ah, I didn't know that the default had changed.

I wouldn't be surprised if Kevin (the developer of WidgetLocker) works that in as an option before long. Like I said, he's really responsive, and I'm sure someone has brought the new FroYo unlock slider to his attention.

I remember when people were clammoring for weather animations which weren't working with WL.... He went from saying "I don't think that can be done but I'll look at it" to having an updated version with it working in, like, a week. SO worth the $2.

He actually uses this thread (go to last page for recent activity, of course) here on AF as a way to communicate with users.

Currently the options for "Slider & Layout" are:

• WidgetLocker
  • Standard Android
  • Sense UI
  • iPhone
  • No Slider

[edit]
I just checked - the "default Android" is still the 2.1 style.
[/edit]

Upvote 0
Fully charged my battery last night, off charger at 7:45AM this morning. Got one text message today and did nothing else with my phone except unlock it a half dozen times to see what was running and kill it. Normally by the time I leave work at 5:30PM I would still have half battery left with moderate usage. Today at 3:00PM with basically NO usage my battery has the little yellow single bar telling me it needs to be charged. I could care less about the flashlight and rotating the screen the other way, any way to go BACK to 2.1? As far as I'm concerned 2.2 is useless unless I like living with my phone ON my charger. :mad::mad::mad:

Upvote 0
Got my OS update last night on my Incredible and one thing I HATE is that they have cluttered the text messaging box with two new icons - one for sending and one that expands into several for attachments and other includsions. The problem is, it is already difficult to accurately place the cursor to fix typos (the ONE thing I like better about the iPhone, which ROCKS in this respect), but now I end up accidentally hitting "Send" when trying to edit a typo!!!

Anyone else notice this?

Upvote 0
Got my OS update last night on my Incredible and one thing I HATE is that they have cluttered the text messaging box with two new icons - one for sending and one that expands into several for attachments and other includsions. The problem is, it is already difficult to accurately place the cursor to fix typos (the ONE thing I like better about the iPhone, which ROCKS in this respect), but now I end up accidentally hitting "Send" when trying to edit a typo!!!

Anyone else notice this?
I gave up on the "stock" messaging app for similar reasons when I was in 2.1.... using Handcent SMS now and really like it.

Upvote 0
Fully charged my battery last night, off charger at 7:45AM this morning. Got one text message today and did nothing else with my phone except unlock it a half dozen times to see what was running and kill it. Normally by the time I leave work at 5:30PM I would still have half battery left with moderate usage. Today at 3:00PM with basically NO usage my battery has the little yellow single bar telling me it needs to be charged. I could care less about the flashlight and rotating the screen the other way, any way to go BACK to 2.1? As far as I'm concerned 2.2 is useless unless I like living with my phone ON my charger. :mad::mad::mad:

Aw, say it ain't so. I had enough issues with battery drainage on 2.1.

Upvote 0
A factory reset seems to be solving a lot of problems for many people with 2.2 issues... other than that I don't have any input on it sorry ... maybe someone else can help you out.
I have seen that suggested several times but what happens to expensive applications that I paid for? They will get wiped but not sure I'll be able to get them again without paying for them again :thinking:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones