• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root The Nexus Root Toolkit

Can't create backup file, says 'rebooting your device' for around 3 seconds then passes on too 'waiting for your device to boot back up' when it never actually reboots the device. It's like it doesn't even do anything, my device just sits in the state I left it in and doesn't reboot.

Not sure what the issue here is, but I'm starting to think it's driver related?

EDIT; Got it to work. I found the nexus 7 entry in the windows device manager and hit update selected drivers. I chose to update them locally from my computer and used the file path

Code:
C:\Wugs_NexusRootToolkit.v1.5.2\data\drivers

Worked fine after that.

Thank you guys, I'm now successfully rooted.

Upvote 0
Drivers are for your computer. The don't change anything on your tablet. :D

I understood that but I figured something driver related was keeping my computer from communicating with the tablet. I couldn't get the automated process within the toolkit to work, and I couldn't be bothered working through the steps so I located the correct drivers and installed them with the windows device manager. I'm sorry if my original post was confusing :)

Upvote 0
Thanks! This worked flawless for me. Best way to unlock/root I have ever used.

One side note. Is there a way to make Google Wallet work while the N7 is rooted? Hopefully there is a workaround? (or maybe put a warning that Wallet won't work if you root? NBD)

Edit: NVM. The warning is a fake. Wallet still works. Thanks again!
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1779644

Upvote 0
Installed Wug's toolkit and following the steps to make sure I have the drivers installed properly. Launch Device Mgr and uninstall the driver. Launch USBDevice and uninstall the one driver that says Nexus 7. (I've left other Google drivers and Samsung drivers since I assume they are related to my phone.) On to the next step and it says Option 1 is best for my setup (PDA drivers). I follow the visual tutorial and it says when prompted for June Fabrics Tech drivers, select Don't Install. I'm never prompted for that. After installing the USB driver it automatically launches the PDA tool. What am I missing? Do I need to uninstall *all* Google and Samsung drivers? What about when I connect my S3, any issues if I do that?

Upvote 0
Installed Wug's toolkit and following the steps to make sure I have the drivers installed properly. Launch Device Mgr and uninstall the driver. Launch USBDevice and uninstall the one driver that says Nexus 7. (I've left other Google drivers and Samsung drivers since I assume they are related to my phone.) On to the next step and it says Option 1 is best for my setup (PDA drivers). I follow the visual tutorial and it says when prompted for June Fabrics Tech drivers, select Don't Install. I'm never prompted for that. After installing the USB driver it automatically launches the PDA tool. What am I missing? Do I need to uninstall *all* Google and Samsung drivers? What about when I connect my S3, any issues if I do that?

I uninstalled all of the drivers he referenced by vendor code (I think there were two vendor codes) and then did the option 2 install. Option one didn't work for me.:rolleyes:

After that I was up and running.:)

Upvote 0
Its been a while since I used it, but all I did was install the PDAnet drivers. I didn't even bother with uninstalling anything else.
I'm big on following directions to the T. :D Since it said to do it, I was doing it. haha!
I uninstalled all of the drivers he referenced by vendor code (I think there were two vendor codes) and then did the option 2 install. Option one didn't work for me.:rolleyes:

After that I was up and running.:)
Yep, 2 vendor codes. I ignored the vendor codes and looked for N7 specific drivers. This left a few others that were a part of the vendor codes listed. I'll try uninstalling all associated with the vendor codes, and maybe trying #2 as well.

Upvote 0
The toolkit has a new update, 1.5.4.

LATEST RELEASE DETAILS - VERSION 1.5.4 (10-11-2012)

• Full official support for all the latest builds on the all the supported Nexus devices including the recently recently 4.1.2 builds.
  • Fixed the walk through nandroid backup to work properly when the user chose CWM in options instead of TWRP (default)
  • Fixed the small issue where one of the Nexus S builds was displaying the model type incorrectly.
  • Removed the

Upvote 0
I'm fairly new to the Nexus 7 section of the forum and I have a couple questions.

Can I root my Nexus 7 via the NRK program above?
Is there a guide for rooting my device with Android 4.1.2?

Thanks, and reply is appreciated.

Yes, that's what I used to root. You just get the drivers installed and click the button that says root. If you check out the xda thread there's plenty of instructions there

Reactions: Lightswarm
Upvote 0
Ok so I followed word by word, the steps for installing just the drivers for my n7 via NRK (Full Driver Configuration Guide).

I clicked on "Full Driver Test" and the device failed at first to be recognized, then I clicked on it to try again and succeeded. Now the issue here is at the very end, NRK is waiting for me to finish booting up my n7, but its been over 5 minutes already. I'm not sure how long it should take, but compared to the rest of the process, its taking relatively long to reboot my n7.

I'm essentially stuck at rebooting, and my n7 displays a laying android with blue circuitry eminating from it. What exactly should I do now?

*note: I only tried to install the drivers, no rooting. Just the driver test is really taking along time to make my device boot up. Any response is appreciated.

Thanks for your quick replies!

Upvote 0
My only complaint with Nexus Root Toolkit is the buttons need to be wider for those of us with high-resolution laptop screens (i.e. custom dpi set to medium - 125% under display)

The problem is most noticeable on the driver installation screens.

Capture.jpg

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones