• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Undoing Encryption Password

I thought I wanted to set a password for my phone. I thought I wanted to have to enter it every time I powered up. I was wrong. I hate it and I need to try to undo what I did. Here's what I did:

Went into Settings - More - Security - Encrypt Device

I did the first step which is setting a password. That's all I did. I never went to the next step which is the time consuming process of encrypting the phone.

Now I'm stuck with having to enter a password each time I start the phone and I want to know how I can undo what I've done. I've read that undoing encryption can wipe all your data. But I didn't encrypt anything. I'm just stuck with this *?!*@"~ password.

What can I do?

I thought I wanted to set a password for my phone. I thought I wanted to have to enter it every time I powered up. I was wrong. I hate it and I need to try to undo what I did. Here's what I did:

Went into Settings - More - Security - Encrypt Device

I did the first step which is setting a password. That's all I did. I never went to the next step which is the time consuming process of encrypting the phone.

Now I'm stuck with having to enter a password each time I start the phone and I want to know how I can undo what I've done. I've read that undoing encryption can wipe all your data. But I didn't encrypt anything. I'm just stuck with this *?!*@"~ password.

What can I do?
Just change screen lock to swipe. It will ask for pin one last time. If you're wrong and it is an encryption password, factory reset is the only way back. Its to protect encrypted data. If you could just remove the password and still read the data, then encryption wouldn't be very effective.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones