• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Unfortunately I can no longer support this as I don't have Nexus to test.

I just ran into the same problem. What I did was install the linked older version of Whatsapp onto BlueStacks to get a 3 digit code to input into my Nexus. This worked for me. I then uninstalled Whatsapp from my Nexus 7 and installed the newest version downloaded from whatsapp.com/android and secured it.

Didn't know you could linked older version of WhatsApp onto BlubStacks...great find!

Upvote 0
Thanks baddie0! That totally worked :)

Hi JerreVD and everyone else. I have read the whole thread and have spent 3 hours trying to get this to work. I bought the nexus 7 for my brother as I am moving to Australia and want to send photos, messages, videos etc back home to my bro and parents. I cannot for the life of me get this to work.

The problem I have is that bluestacks automatically seems to install the newest version of whatsapp which gives you a 6 digit code. The older version on the nexus wants a 3 digit code.

Can someone please please help me here before my head explodes and I throw the laptop and nexus into the fire lol.

How can I link the old version of whatsapp (3 digit code) to bluestacks?

Many many thanks guys!!

Upvote 0
I just ran into the same problem. What I did was install the linked older version of Whatsapp onto BlueStacks to get a 3 digit code to input into my Nexus. This worked for me. I then uninstalled Whatsapp from my Nexus 7 and installed the newest version downloaded from whatsapp.com/android and secured it.

As of today (12/13/2012), WhatsApp v2.8.4776 setup is no longer working for me on both BlueStacks (PC) and Nexus7 (after AppGuard). I setup on my nexus yesterday (12/12/2012) just fine but today when I tried to setup on my wife's Nexus7, both BlueStacks and Nexus7 told me the WhatsApp v2.8.4776 is too old and ask me to download from PlayStore.

So I download the latest version of WhatsApp v2.8.9108.apk, installed on BlueStacks and AppGuard-ed it. It failed after AppGuard (ok to open Whatsapp but when try to verify, it said "It looks like your client has been modified. Please download the latest version from Google Play". I stuck here.

Please let me know if you guys have any idea on how to resolve this. thank you!

Upvote 0
As of today (12/13/2012), WhatsApp v2.8.4776 setup is no longer working for me on both BlueStacks (PC) and Nexus7 (after AppGuard). I setup on my nexus yesterday (12/12/2012) just fine but today when I tried to setup on my wife's Nexus7, both BlueStacks and Nexus7 told me the WhatsApp v2.8.4776 is too old and ask me to download from PlayStore.

So I download the latest version of WhatsApp v2.8.9108.apk, installed on BlueStacks and AppGuard-ed it. It failed after AppGuard (ok to open Whatsapp but when try to verify, it said "It looks like your client has been modified. Please download the latest version from Google Play". I stuck here.

Please let me know if you guys have any idea on how to resolve this. thank you!

The version that I updated to in my last post started to give upgrade messages again so I fiddled about with it again and have since had it working perfectly. I hope what I've learnt might be useful to you.

Personally I think the key thing here is you downloaded the latest version from Google Play. I noticed when I was messing about with my nexus that the latest version it states on Whatsapp's website and Google Play are different. (As of today Website = 2.8.9448, Google Play = 2.8.9108). I also noticed the website version updates very frequently, almost daily I'd say.

At first I tried installing the same version you got from Google Play and if memory serves me right I received the same message too. My thinking is that the GP version has extra security measures built in. I uninstalled it and then used the method in the first post (starting from step 1) but this time using the apk downloaded from the website. Since then I've been using ver 2.8.8931 and have had no problems.

Now, currently I have no idea if the website version calls for a 3 or 6 digit code. I'd say if it asks for 6, then you should be able to use the 6 digit Bluestacks gives you. If not, try 'linking an older version' of Whatsapp to Bluestacks like baddie0 says to get that 3 digit code. Unfortunately I have no idea how to do this. Hopefully someone can answer hed0nism's request if the answer isn't available elsewhere.

In conclusion I think you're better off downloading the apk from Whatsapp's website. I know if I get update message again, I won't go to be Google Play. Hope you manage to get it working! :p

Upvote 0
Hi there, really happy with Whatsapp on the Nexus. Have been using it for a week and a half.

Usually it asks me to update whenever I open it, but today it was telling me this version won't be supported in 1 day. So... should I update or not?

My question: Has anyone updated the App (is it possible after using Appguard?) and does it still work afterwards?

thanks,

Leon

Upvote 0
do not worry to uninstall old version which is not supported any more. Then you install the new version, you use appguard, it will unistall and reinstall it again and secure the app. When the app is installed you are not asked for any digits, and it works perfectly. I was a little bit scare, that it will not run, but there is no problem you should face.

Upvote 0
Hi there, really happy with Whatsapp on the Nexus. Have been using it for a week and a half.

Usually it asks me to update whenever I open it, but today it was telling me this version won't be supported in 1 day. So... should I update or not?

My question: Has anyone updated the App (is it possible after using Appguard?) and does it still work afterwards?
Leon

To be more specific, here is my way to the Fixing of the Expired Whatapp:

1. the old whatsapp error out but it gave me a "download" button to get the new version. I clicked it, it saved out an apk file.
  2. It wouldn't let me install this new apk so I went uninstall old whatsapp from Nexus7 (I left Appguard alone).
  3. Then I opened the new apk file and installed the new whatsapp, when finished, I hit close instead of opening app.
  4. I used Appguard to secure the new app.
  5. New whatsapp opened fine but I have to input my phone number again to verify my account (No more 3-digit/6-digit crap).
  6. It tells me they found old message and gave option to restore or start new. I restored the message and everything working perfect again. FYI, new version is v2.8.8828

Upvote 0
I had the same issue; the option to enter the code did not appear until I submitted my country and phone number also through Whatsapp on my Nexus 7. Naturally due to the missing mobile network on the device I got an error. So I tapped on the button call me which yielded yet another error. Click away from that message and if you now click the three dots icon in the bottom right corner the enter code option should be available. Good luck!

How do I use whatsapp on my nexus 10 tablet? Can any one help?

Upvote 0
Hi Nuj Fuj,

Thank you so much for the tips. Unfortunately, I'm still stuck cracking my second Nexus. Pretty much stuck at the Nexus7 part. SMS verification failed - I can only hit "Call me" or edit number on Nexus7. And if I hit Call me, it will pops ""It looks like your client has been modified. Please download the latest version from our website". No option to put in 3 or 6-digit code.

My apk (for both nexus7 and pc) are both the same version, same file v2.8.9448. Downloaded from Whatsapp site... I'm tired of this. I have a feeling that once you messed up the first time, some kind of record remained on my nexus and made it not working. Hopefully no one get stuck like I do.

Upvote 0
You need to Download WhatsApp v2.8.7326 (h t t p://adf.ly/GKsJT), install it as per the instructions right at the top of the post on your Tablet, as well as in Bluestacks. Apply for the code as per the instructions and you will get a 3 digit code.

Use a temporary number not your actual mobile number, since you can only have it working properly on 1 device at a time using the same number.

Open Whatsapp on tablet, input the same number you used in Bluestacks and let it fail and select cancel and you will be able to input and activate using the 3 digit code.

Worked for me running Nexus 7 and 4.2.1

Shamlelessly obtained from

h t t p : // forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2061176

Upvote 0
Hello,
I have a samsung galaxy tab 2 7.0(wifi only). I followed the procedure but i get error "sorry your version of the app is too old. Please download the latest version from our website:whatsapp.com/android" and when i update to new version the error i get is "it looks like your client has been modified. please download the latest version from our website: whatsapp.com/android".:thinking:

And i don't get the option to enter a code i only get the option of "contact support".:(

Is there a way to use whatsapp on my tab..??

Upvote 0
Hello,
I have a samsung galaxy tab 2 7.0(wifi only). I followed the procedure but i get error "sorry your version of the app is too old. Please download the latest version from our website:whatsapp.com/android" and when i update to new version the error i get is "it looks like your client has been modified. please download the latest version from our website: whatsapp.com/android".:thinking:

And i don't get the option to enter a code i only get the option of "contact support".:(

Is there a way to use whatsapp on my tab..??

Check ScruffyDroids' Reply of the 23rd. I installed Whatsapp just 15 min. ago and it works! (But yesterday I've been at it for a couple of houres without succes)

Upvote 0
Just thought I'd share what I've found about installing WhatsApp on Nexus 7.

Much thanks to Astrix from nexustablets.net and StrangerWeather from xda-developers forums!!!

UPDATE, 12/02/12...Ok I've tried the lastest version (2.8.8588) of WhatsApp and I've notice it is now giving out 6 digits instead of 3 digit code. For now use this version, WhatsApp version 2.8.4776

***For those of you who already installed the lastest version of the Whatsapp, go ahead and unintall and install the v2.8.4776 above then redo step #2.***

Required apps:

A. Whatsapp apk (since it can't be download via Google Play store, download the apk from the link below.)

B. Appguard apk: SRT AppGuard (don't worry about the German, the app is in English. This also can be DL using your N7, but you'll have to click and hold the "Download der appguard.apk" and Save link as.)

1. Install WhatsApp, once installed, close the app without running it.

2. Install AppGuard
- Start up open/run appguard.
- Select "Secure a new app"
- Select "Whatsapp"
- Appguard will take you through 3-steps:
[*]scan and secure application
[*]Uninstall existing application
[*]Install secured application

Once the process is completed, within Appguard, you'll need to change Whatsapp Permissions by removing the setting for "Phone calls - read phone status and identity"

3. Download and install Bluestacks on your PC: BlueStacks App Player

4. Select "Messaging" and install WhatsApp on your PC.

5. Input your mobile number. You should get a text with the 3-digit verification code. Be patient, it can take few minutes.

6. Once you have your code, go back to your Nexus 7, run WhatsApp, press menu (3 dots on bottom right corner) then input the code.

And you're done!

Enjoy!
You forgot to add after the Step 6.. you need to put your number back on, and your country then click
call me, and it won't work after that you touch the 3 dots, and click
input code!
ta-da xD
also, remember to install the whatsapp with blue stack, right from the apk this dude gave u c;
ty so much

Upvote 0

that wont work anymore bluestacks says thats u have to download the newest version

(sorry for my bad english i came from holland):eek:

Upvote 0
To be more specific, here is my way to the Fixing of the Expired Whatapp:

1. the old whatsapp error out but it gave me a "download" button to get the new version. I clicked it, it saved out an apk file.
  2. It wouldn't let me install this new apk so I went uninstall old whatsapp from Nexus7 (I left Appguard alone).
  3. Then I opened the new apk file and installed the new whatsapp, when finished, I hit close instead of opening app.
  4. I used Appguard to secure the new app.
  5. New whatsapp opened fine but I have to input my phone number again to verify my account (No more 3-digit/6-digit crap).
  6. It tells me they found old message and gave option to restore or start new. I restored the message and everything working perfect again. FYI, new version is v2.8.8828

Ok, I managed to update it this way from v2.8.5626 to v2.8.8828... but it's still telling me that a new version is available.... not a big deal since it works though !
But anyone has tried to update it with the very last version (2.9.296 I guess) ?
Does it still work after the process above ? (I really don't want to screw it up now...)

Thanks !

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones