• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root USB port charging issue

This is ultimately what led to me finally retiring my prevail. It would only charge if I held the cord at a specific angle, and eventually the only way it would even charge was using the 2 amp charger that came with my nexus 7 (held at a specific angle)

This worked for a couple weeks before it finally crapped put on me and refused to take a charge at all. I'm pretty sure the charging port crapped out on me. Sounds like your prevail is heading down the same path mine did.

My advice, try a different cable. If that doesn't make a difference then its probably the charging port. If this is the case, you have 4 options.
1. Tough it out and see how long your crippled phone will prevail
2. Attempt to manually replace the charging port or find a repair shop that will do this for you
3. Check eBay for a 'new' prevail (you can find them fairly cheep)
4. Purchase a new phone

One note, if you are into modding your phone, IMHO, you should stay away from the hydro. The bootloader is locked and at this time development is at a standstill as a result of this.

Locked bootloader = no recovery = zero custom ROMs/no way to recover from a soft brick

Reactions: Twisted21
Upvote 0
Thanks everyone for the quick replies, I tried three chargers and 3 different cables all with the same results, so it sounds like the charging port has crapped out on me, I can get a replacement port for 3 bucks on eBay, but a Google search on how to replace the port, can't find a thing, is it a plugin or soldered in, there are a few Boost stores around here and I'll see what they can tell me, if not ,I'm looking for a new Prevail, with all the work and Mods done on this phone, I just love it.

Upvote 0
Just an update to this issue, got another Prevail, rooted with the latest ROM version 3.80, which I did on my girlfriends a few weeks ago, I had many problems with it, programs not downloading, lots of lag, she was not happy, so i did my new phone withe same process and had the same issues, I flashed 3.68 back onto my phone and it's perfect, I'm about to flash hers to 3.68 so I don't have to listen to all the issues, I'll do a post on the dummies page in case anyone is interested in what issues I ran across, thanks for all the help and a wonderful kickass phone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones