• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Verizon lied about eris!

Status
Not open for further replies.
dawson_crying.gif

Upvote 0
The thing is, VZW wasn't the only one mentioning 2.1. Of course they're trying to make the sale, they'll tell you your Eris will give you a blumpkin if it got you to buy the phone.

There were plenty of news sites that were "speculating" that the Eris would be upgraded to 2.1, but not much attention was paid to that notion because the Eris was usually mentioned at the bottom of the article about the Droid and Android as a whole coming to VZW.

I fall into the latter. I did my research, but I took the "speculation" as "truth" and just assumed that "ok, I'll pay $150 less than the Droid and get the Eris, and wait two months and get the 2.0 I was gonna get."

Well, 2.01 became 2.1, then 2.1 went from speculated in February to "Sometime before the end of Q1" to now, where we don't know a thing,.

Remember the news the other day about the Sprint phone getting 2.1? Turns out that actually hasn't happened yet. The snapshot of the internal document saying it would be released April 29th was legit, but they still didn't send anything out, as of this morning. So...we're all playing the waiting game.

Moral of the story, if you want the best thing, don't cheap out and by the bargain phone. The Eris is great, but it's a bargain/introductory phone. Some people couldn't help it and had to choose something affordable. I know I did, as mommy and daddy were buying it, so I decided Android, but not $199. If only I had end my contract then and just started a new one using Wirefly or Amazon, I could have gotten a Droid for $79.99 with a new 2 year contract.

Hindsight, 20/20. Just like Barbara Walters.

I, too, looked at the Moto, but even if I had the chance to go back in time and buy it for the same price as my Eris, I wouldn't. I hated the feel, look, and style of that phone. I'm sure it'd be nice to have the faster processor, but my Eris does 99.9% of what the Droid does, looks better, fits in my pocket with out pulling my jeans down, and has Sense (which I love). The Droid is a nice phone, don't get me wrong, but not nice enough for me to care to have it over my phone.

Upvote 0
I, too, looked at the Moto, but even if I had the chance to go back in time and buy it for the same price as my Eris, I wouldn't. I hated the feel, look, and style of that phone. I'm sure it'd be nice to have the faster processor, but my Eris does 99.9% of what the Droid does, looks better, fits in my pocket with out pulling my jeans down, and has Sense (which I love). The Droid is a nice phone, don't get me wrong, but not nice enough for me to care to have it over my phone.

I don't think that "99.9%" number is correct. The Droid has 2.1 running natively, it is rooted on all the firmware versions that have come out for it, it is running stock Android and couple that with having more RAM, it should be a world of a difference quicker. Not to mention, it can run live wallpapers, which appears to be the holy grail for phones now. If it can't run it, it sucks. Not to mention the Droid can be overclocked to well beyong 1.Ghz and still run relatively cool. Slightly warm, but who wants to go that far anyway?

The point is, the Droid can be modified beyond belief. I doubt those modifications only create a .1% variance between the Eris and Droid.

If we're talking what you use your Eris for compared to the Droid, then it's another thing. Then that's just relative and subjective.

I can overlook the shape of the Droid and would take the root and potential of the phone, as well as its potency over the Eris.

Upvote 0
The point is, the Droid can be modified beyond belief. I doubt those modifications only create a .1% variance between the Eris and Droid.

If we're talking what you use your Eris for compared to the Droid, then it's another thing. Then that's just relative and subjective.

Yes, it was relative and subjective, as was what you stated below. vvv

I can overlook the shape of the Droid and would take the root and potential of the phone, as well as its potency over the Eris.[/QUOTE]

They were both our respective opinions on the phones, and by nature, opinions are relative and subjective.

I do see what you are saying, if I was very into tech and knew my way around my phone, I'm sure the Droid would probably be a much better platform for me. However, I just want to browse the web, talk to people, text, look up directions every now and then (no I don't need a voice to tell me when and where to turn. In fact, every time I've ever driven a car with a GPS attached, I had to turn the voice off to keep from throwing the unit out the window) and to do various other things, none of which require anywhere near a 1.GHZ processor.

I can definitely see where you are coming from though, but I sincerely doubt that even 10% of those with a Moto Droid take advantage of the (we'll say the Eris does 90% for argument's sake) 10% that the Droid can do that the Eris cannot. Tech specs sell high end phones, not need.

Upvote 0
just playing devils advocate here

from what i've read on this forum from various people that seem very prejudiced against the eris is that it's an old phone (someone mentioned 2.5yrs) that has processors that won't be able to handle the more robust things down the line.

I got mine by happenstance, the ozone that was the free update phone failed so many times I no longer wanted one as a replacement and with some shmoozing I got into the eris. But if it's really as old as some say, then that means when verizon offered it along with the droid as new it was already over the hill.

One thing verizon lacks is an interim update price, like for a fee of $100 in the midst of your contract switch to the newest phone. Because wouldn't everyone rather have the eris replacement, the incredible? with it's sexy 8mpxl cam ?

So what about someone here who is capable getting the wheels moving on a class action lawsuit. Personally I think people sue over too much inane baloney, but the idea that one is being shopped around might make them offer an interim update price, or a free one time upgrade to the new phone.

The basis would be that they marketed a phone already a year & a half old as new and less then a year? after launch it's already EOL. Cite things like lack of customer support, stating in a media publication that an update was coming then not saying anything else blah blah blah.

I mean if someone has time to kill it's worth a shot right ?

Upvote 0
Well, given that most people on here want a faster phone, I'm sure the extra boost in RAM is something just about everyone on here can use. The key here is just two things, the processor and the RAM. If that's the 10% advantage the Droid has over the Eris, I think 80% of the Eris users on here would want that over their current phone specs. Do they need it? No. Technically, the phone is still operational the way it is now, but most people on here have to make sacrifices to get it to a level they can tolerate. Turning 3G and GPS off when not using it to save battery, turning off animations to prevent lag.

I think the extent of modifications is something that can be deemed a need/want thing, but other than that, I think most Eris owners would prefer and would benefit greatly from the hardware of the Droid. I know I would.

Upvote 0
Well, given that most people on here want a faster phone, I'm sure the extra boost in RAM is something just about everyone on here can use. The key here is just two things, the processor and the RAM. If that's the 10% advantage the Droid has over the Eris, I think 80% of the Eris users on here would want that over their current phone specs. Do they need it? No. Technically, the phone is still operational the way it is now, but most people on here have to make sacrifices to get it to a level they can tolerate. Turning 3G and GPS off when not using it to save battery, turning off animations to prevent lag.

I think the extent of modifications is something that can be deemed a need/want thing, but other than that, I think most Eris owners would prefer and would benefit greatly from the hardware of the Droid. I know I would.

So smacky what phone do you have exactly?
An eris? Nexus one? Droid?
Devour?

Upvote 0
This phone sucks, get over it. updated to leaked v3 and still have issues. The biggest problem is it works when you don't really need it to work. When you REALLY need it to perform, say a simple phone call, it locks up and you have to reboot the phone to perform that basic of a function. It's a phone right? I hope they do get the update working 100% but so far with Android I've been built up only to be let down in the end at every step. When Verizon gets the iPhone, so will I.

Upvote 0
I wish...for one day....we can delete all the new members that have joined the past two months who think they've been suffering for an eternity without 2.1...and not have to put up with them thinking they're know it alls. Everyone here is trying to be Rev Run here, offering advice on how to wait for it for the Eris.

And why is it the Eris has all the damn trolls? The moron posted once and that was it. We're at three pages now. Shut up already.

I know you said "for one day," but this statement is just plain stupid. I'd be willing to bet that when you joined, you had the same thoughts and posted many of the same things that the new members are doing today. Make a paid forum, get three of your closest eris buddies together and keep everyone out if you don't want to hear the ramblings on a PUBLIC forum.

There, first post out of the way and waiting for the "banned" hammer.

Upvote 0
This phone sucks, get over it. updated to leaked v3 and still have issues. The biggest problem is it works when you don't really need it to work. When you REALLY need it to perform, say a simple phone call, it locks up and you have to reboot the phone to perform that basic of a function. It's a phone right? I hope they do get the update working 100% but so far with Android I've been built up only to be let down in the end at every step. When Verizon gets the iPhone, so will I.

yes, the phone sucks. i wish we could go back to the good old days, when phones came with briefcases.

Upvote 0
So what about someone here who is capable getting the wheels moving on a class action lawsuit. Personally I think people sue over too much inane baloney, but the idea that one is being shopped around might make them offer an interim update price, or a free one time upgrade to the new phone.

The basis would be that they marketed a phone already a year & a half old as new and less then a year?after launch it's already EOL. Cite things like lack of customer support, stating in a media publication that an update was coming then not saying anything else blah blah blah.

Are you serious? You really feel that it is worthy of anyone's time to actually make a class action lawsuit over a phone not getting a firmware update? Making a lawsuit about a company marketing a phone that is new to their network as a new phone, even though it was released from another company at an earlier date?

Maybe I should make a class action lawsuit every time I've been promised something that hasn't come through.

Grow the hell up please.

Upvote 0
I think people who feel they have been "lied to" have some room to feel so. Let's not give a free pass to that possibly hasty Q1 statement and the unofficial rumblings that Verizon didn't apparently try to curtail its sales force from utilizing to push these phones. I would consider the gaffes misleading, but not even close to the kind of bait and switch some here seem to imply happened to them. I wouldn't know, though...maybe some salesmen were bigger P'soS than others. All in all, it was in bad form, and people have a right to be pissed about it. Let it be.

I'm pretty stoked about getting an Android phone...just not this one anymore. I don't think there's anything wrong with the Eris, mind you, but people should realize that when this came out in relation to the Motorola Droid, it is the entry-level piece. Kind of like buying a Taylor *14 series guitar...a 114 gets you into the Taylor experience, but never should you ever expect that 114 to trump a 314, or a 314 trumping a 714. The Eris runs on older and lesser hardware, has less physical features than its compatriots, and was always priced less than its superiors. Regardless of whether 2.1 ever sees the official light of day on the Eris, let Verizon do what it needs to with its other phones in order to appease those who spent more for a better Android phone. If one bought an Eris thinking it was better than a Droid or even an Incredible, then they were fools to do so.

Upvote 0
Where do you guys think all of these "Leaks" are coming from?

That's right VERIZON. Verizon Beta Testers to precise.

So if Verizon is still testing 2.1 on the Eris, and they just put out "Version 3", then use your common sense and it is clear that, although a bit delayed, that the official 2.1 Release for the Eris is coming. They see a reason to continue testing it before releasing it for a REASON.

I for one am glad to wait a bit more time for them to get it right.

Everything is Amazing, no one is happy

YouTube - Louis CK: Everything is amazing right now and nobody is happy

God damn I love Louis CK! Funniest guy alive! Louie premiers on FX June 1st!!

But on a side note, if 2.1 wasn't coming, then who the hell is spending their times building these leaks? Just settle down and wait. It will come. You think this is really up to Verizon? I'd put money on this being up to HTC and Google. Get a damn grip.

Upvote 0
God damn I love Louis CK! Funniest guy alive! Louie premiers on FX June 1st!!

But on a side note, if 2.1 wasn't coming, then who the hell is spending their times building these leaks? Just settle down and wait. It will come. You think this is really up to Verizon? I'd put money on this being up to HTC and Google. Get a damn grip.

i love this. verizon says its HTC and google. HTC says its verizon. google doesnt say anything. hilarious.

but yeah, itll show up eventually.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones