• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Verizon Not Allowing Retail Purchased Phones to Retain Unlimited?

TzuDohNihm

Apr 18, 2010
I upgraded my line on the 26th to keep my unlimited data with the Galaxy SIII. I am not interested in keeping it, preferring instead to sell it and apply the money towards an Incredible 4G.

I put the Galaxy SIII up on Ebay on the 29th and it was purchased via Buy It Now within two hours for $650 and the buyer promptly paid for it.

Fast forward to last night, July 2nd, and I receive an email from the buyer asking me to refund the money and cancel the transaction because:

After calling Verizon to arrange moving my unlimited data plan to the new phone when I receive it I was told that option is not available. Since I won't be able to continue my unlimited plan as you advertised I'd like to cancel the order and have you refund the purchase to my Paypal account. Thank you.
I have requested additional information from this individual as to their current standing with VZW and why a CSR might have told them they could not activate this phone and keep their unlimited data. I will post as much clarifying information as possible once the buyer responds to my email.

In the meantime has anyone else been hearing conflicting information post 28th? Does anyone *coughcoughAntimonyERcoughcough* have any thoughts as to what this person may have been told besides having spoken to an ignorant CSR?

Also, a little advice if anyone cares to offer it. I am inclined to feel that this buyer should have done their due diligence and made sure the purchase they were making would be able to be activated to their account and am inclined to not cancel the transaction.

As to why they were told it can't be done, might it matter that they did not purchase the phone directly from Verizon?
From everything I've read that shouldn't matter at all. Nowhere did it say that the phone HAD to be purchased at full retail through Verizon.
I was in a corporate store the other day (seeing about moving some lines to pre-pay) and got talking about the new plan w/the rep. He said "you can always buy from ebay" when we were discussing keeping unlimited data.
I think they (the reps) just really don't know what's going on yet. They should, but they probably don't. Let's face it, consistency among CSR's is not one of Verizon's strong suits.

Upvote 0
Did your eBay listing include a claim that the buyer would be able to activate this phone on their current unlimited plan? If so, you may be stuck if Verizon won't activate the phone for them.

As to why they were told it can't be done, might it matter that they did not purchase the phone directly from Verizon?

Here is the description from my listing(complete with typo I just noticed)

BRAND NEW Samsung Galaxy S III 32 GB White phone for use on Verizon (Model SCH-I535).

The phone will be brand new, never turned on with a clean ESN. I had to upgrade to keep my unlimited data but I do not want this phone so I am selling it and using the money to pay full retail for the phone I do want.

The phone will ship to me by July 11, 2012. The day I receive the phone, I will ship it to you with FREE SHIPPING AND FREE INSURANCE!
Please note this is the 32GB model, not the 16GB model.

By purchasing this phone outright without a contract, you will be able to keep whatever data plan you currently have with Verizon. This means you will not have to witch over to the Share Everything Plans.

That last paragraph is backed by VZW's own words throughout this entire mess.

Upvote 0
You rang? ;)

I would get clarification before cancelling for sure. Verizon has advertised loudly that putting a new (or used) phone on your line that you purchased via a method other than subsidized upgrade will allow you to keep your unlimited data.

The way your buyer quote reads, its as if he is attempting to move the unlimited data to another line or something, instead of just replacing the phone on that line...

Upvote 0
You rang? ;)

I would get clarification before cancelling for sure. Verizon has advertised loudly that putting a new (or used) phone on your line that you purchased via a method other than subsidized upgrade will allow you to keep your unlimited data.

The way your buyer quote reads, its as if he is attempting to move the unlimited data to another line or something, instead of just replacing the phone on that line...

I was thinking the same thing. I asked about current phones and lines hoping to help clarify for the buyer that they don't move the data plan but move the phone numbers around if they have multiple lines.

I'm pretty sure the whole thing will boil down to an ignorant CSR.

Upvote 0
Just a thought, but did the eBay buyer have unlimited data on a 3g phone or a 4g phone? I know that the unlimited data code for a 3g is different from a 4g, so he might have had to already be on unlimited data 4g to add another 4g phone to that same line and keep unlimited. I went into VZW on 6/27 and bought a subsidized 4g Droid 4 for my son, upgrading him from unlimited data on a 3g to the 4g. I kept both the unlimited data and the $20 Talk Text Data promo discount. Anyway, I just didn't know if he might be having the problem because he was switching from 3g to 4g after 6/28.

Upvote 0
Just a thought, but did the eBay buyer have unlimited data on a 3g phone or a 4g phone? I know that the unlimited data code for a 3g is different from a 4g, so he might have had to already be on unlimited data 4g to add another 4g phone to that same line and keep unlimited. I went into VZW on 6/27 and bought a subsidized 4g Droid 4 for my son, upgrading him from unlimited data on a 3g to the 4g. I kept both the unlimited data and the $20 Talk Text Data promo discount. Anyway, I just didn't know if he might be having the problem because he was switching from 3g to 4g after 6/28.

This was my biggest concern. Although I would think if he is in the middle of a contract most would be 4G, wouldn't you think? I pre-ordered a DINC and my upgrade was due 12/28/11 and my contract actually ended in April.

If this is the case then wouldn't he be liable for not having done his homework prior to buying the phone and this technically isn't my problem but his?

*EDIT* And if this is the case I bet that VZW is going to be hearing this scenario quite a bit and running into trouble.

Upvote 0
Here is the response to my request for additional information. Anyone notice a problem with it?

Below is the text from a live chat with Verizon re. using a pre-purchased phone to continue my unlimited data plan. I'm using a SG2 w the Nationwide 450 plan available for upgrade in Sept.

nqueshia: We currently no longer have that plan.

You: You don't have nationwide talk 450 anymore?

Jonqueshia: So it would be unavailable to use with that phone.

Jonqueshia: I do apologize, but unfortunately no we don't have that plan anymore.

You: So the only way I could use a GS3 would be to renew my contract, correct?

Jonqueshia: That is correct.

You: OK, thank you.

Jonqueshia: Is there anything else I may assist you with today?

You: No thank you.

Upvote 0
The question is is there anything right with it? It flows as though it's been trimmed and edited or even just made up. He doesn't clarify that he already has a phone on unlimited and would like to keep that plan.

Have the buyer refer to paragraph 7 of this page:

Share Everything

Have the buyer start a new chat session with a CSR and have him ask this question:

"Hi, I am a current Verizon customer. I have a smartphone with unlimited data. I would like to upgrade my phone and keep my current unlimited data plan *as is* without changing it or extending my contract. I understand that if I purchase a Samsung Galaxy S3 through retail or other third party without using my subsidized upgrade that I may activate the new phone on my account without making any plan changes or extending my contract."

And have them send you the unedited transcript.

Upvote 0
Here's my concern:

'If you want to keep unlimited data, you have the option to pay full retail price for a new phone.'

To me that would be a get out clause forcing you to have to purchase a phone from them to qualify - thus making the option of buying a phone from a third party no longer viable.

Yes, but their executives have been quoted numerous times stating that what they mean by this is not subsidized by verizon. It doesn't say full MSRP and proof that that's what you paid.

Verizon has had a long standing policy that if you swap out one phone with another and you didn't buy it through a contract extension, it doesn't change your existing plan.

They have 20 year old plans that people are still on that have never been changed.

Reactions: AntimonyER
Upvote 0
Except that the FCC prevents them from requiring that you purchase the device through them. You are free to purchase the phone from any third party retailer you like.

Also, there are many other verizon support forum posts by verizion representatives clarifying the retail vs subsidized issue.

I myself have two S3s on order and plan to sell them on ebay or craigslist.

Upvote 0
I think that the FCC rules may only dictate what can be attached to the network and used. I'm thinking that this still gives VZW leeway to decide on the contract terms and conditions for said device - especially since in this case the unlimited data plan is long since gone (bar us grandfathered users).

Don't get me wrong here - I'm not saying I'm right or that VZW operates in a fair and editable level. Just playing Devils advocate is all based on what Big Red state on their website.

I doubt Verizon would honor anything simply because it appears on this or any other forum. They're going to push hard to get us off the unlimited plans so don't expect them to play fair here.

Upvote 0
If Verizon is trying to do it with this, then they will try and make you switch plans if you ever break your phone(not covered under Manufactures warranty) and have to swap it out for one of your old smart phone or one you bought off of ebay.

Quite possibly. Personally, as of right now, unless I get it in writing from a Sales Rep or any other official I'd personally be somewhat hesitant to buy a phone off eBay or wherever and expect them to hook it up on my unlimited plan.

Now, if we start to see posts here of users successfully achieving this then we may be getting somewhere but I for one don't want to be the Guinea pig for this experiment!

Right now we're hearing that this may be an issue, so all this is pure speculation and conjecture on my part based on the evidence I have thus far seen. YMMV.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones