• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Verizon pre-order questions

Exactly. You really can't lose. If it works, then I saved $380. If it doesn't and they try to cancel the unlimited and force me into tiered then I'll cancel the order all together and pay full price like I intended on doing the whole time. I don't see any reason somebody who preordered wouldn't try this. The scariest thing was having to cancel my preorder FIRST before attempting this. I was gonna be mad if I jumped out of line and found out the deal was dead.

I tried canceling the order after I did the upgrade, but I have to call first thing tomorrow morning to cancel; sales line was already closed.

Upvote 0
It wouldn't let me do the new deal unless I cancelled my other preorder first. It said that bc there was a pending order I couldn't go any further....

Maybe it was because my first pre-order was on a new line.

FYI, I was talking to a CSR on chat today about canceling it, and they told me that the upgrade/unlimited thing was a glitch in the system and that I would lose unlimited.

They did confirm to me, though, that if I lose my unlimited I can simply return it and revert back to unlimited, and then buy it outright, which I was planning to do anyway.

Just don't be surprised if it doesn't work. Remember, this is Verizon we're talking about. They have no problem screwing us over.

Reactions: KOLIO
Upvote 0
You know, with all these other carriers announcing release on October 2nd or 4th, there is little doubt in my mind that we will get our Verizon Note 3 s long before the 10th :)

seriously doubt it. Remember, while those of us waiting for this phone think its the greatest thing since sliced bread. This is not a customer magnet product for VZW. Basically, they really dont care if Sprint and T Mobile have it a week before them. This phone is not moving the needle for VZW, while it may be a bigger deal for Sprint and T Mobile.

Upvote 0
seriously doubt it. Remember, while those of us waiting for this phone think its the greatest thing since sliced bread. This is not a customer magnet product for VZW. Basically, they really dont care if Sprint and T Mobile have it a week before them. This phone is not moving the needle for VZW, while it may be a bigger deal for Sprint and T Mobile.

Agreed. Only thing they care about is their stupid Kevlar Droids.

Upvote 0
I can confirm that the unlimited upgrade option is still working. I just went through the whole process. My confirmation email says I still have unlimited data.

I hopefully saved $400. If it doesn't work when I get it, I'll just return it to the local Verizon store and buy it outright, as I planned all along.

which link to try the upgrade trick did you use? the verizon iconic link? or the main vzw page? Did you need to cancel your preorder first?

Upvote 0
It wouldn't let me do the new deal unless I cancelled my other preorder first. It said that bc there was a pending order I couldn't go any further....

So it worked for you? what steps and discount codes did you use? where/how did you cancel your preorder? which site did you enter to then perform the upgrade again.

I did my preorder through the vzw iconic website, and that did not allow me any options except month-to-month. Then again, I didnt cancel my existing preorder yet.

Upvote 0
I didn't cancel my preorder first, and I just clicked on "upgrade" on my line at vzw.com like normal.

site wasn't working for me. will try again. Tried another browser and it still says I cant do it.
forces me to the iconic site and that says I cant do anything because I have a preorder in place.

and did you select "w/ 2yr contract" or $0 down with edge?

I presume you plan on canceling the preorder? its weird that it allows an upgrade whilst a preorder was already there isnt it?

did you try either of the discount codes?

Upvote 0
My first pre order was on a new line that I was planning to drop when it arrived. So that's probably why it didn't care when I upgraded, because the pre order was for a new phone number.

I didn't see anywhere to use the coupon code. I don't think it works on pre orders.

But truth be told, I might cancel the glitch order tomorrow. I have a sinking feeling that Verizon is using this as an excuse to have your plan changed and kick you off unlimited data.

Just a few days ago there was a report about the CEO saying how much they hate unlimited data and will never offer it again, and now this?

Something smells. I think I might just stick to the original plan of full retail, no contract, and peace of mind.

Reactions: The_Chief
Upvote 0
Almost sounds like PR trick. For the whole day it was a topic of many discussions. Now I'm reading that some who got "lucky" and called back later got confirmation it will be reverted to min bandwidth data plan. Whatever it was, system glitches usually get fixed within an hour as soon as they realize all the on-line order traffic with people rushing to Verizon stores to pick up their phones (G2, etc.).

I know that some had online chats with vzw that says the order was legit. When I chatted about the offer for subsidized phone costs but with unlimited. She knew what I was talking about, her comment was that those people will be called and told to change the data plan.

Enough tonspook me.. But the again.. I couldnt find where to cancel my preorder. I wanted to try the discount code but don't remember if there was an option to do that

Upvote 0
Hey guys, I was part of the crazy Galaxy Nexus thread too:D I am currently debating what to do to get the Note 3, first should I pre-order or just pick it up in store on release date, I will be leaving to go out of town on the 11th so it seems a little risky to pre-order. Also I just can't fork out full price to keep my unlimited data and am thinking about the 6gb edge plan (which should be enough data for me) I keep reading about the Verizon30 code, can it be used when doing the edge plan so that the monthly rate drops, also does it have to be done online or can it be used in the store?

One other question about the Verizon30 code, could my husband use this to buy a phone at full price? He uses a LOT of data and needs to hold on to his unlimited.

Glad to see some familiar faces here!

Upvote 0
Hey RCC, good to see you. I can see why you might be reluctant to order something that could be delayed and delivered after you leave on your trip, especially if nobody might be home to sign for it. Also I'd like to have at least a day with a new phone to make sure it works (testing calls, GPS, etc) before going off traveling with it.

If they try to remove my Unlimited upon activation, I'll settle for the $30 6GB but not 2GB.

Upvote 0
Sometimes it sucks to be right so often :rolleyes:

:p

I hate it for all those folks who jumped on this, and now they've lost their places in the pre-order queue and unlimited data. They can cancel the subsidized order, but that puts them way behind...

Yep, not to mention the $35 restocking fee if they open it and try activating.

Reactions: The_Chief
Upvote 0
I'm not a contract law expert by any means, but since the customers agreed to one contact, and verizon is changing it, they have to send written notice to each customer and the customer can then agree to the new terms or void the contract, right?

That's the way it's supposed to work in theory, yes.

But Verizon has many super lawyers that will find a loophole if they want to.

Another factor in my decision was simply not wanting to be on another contract with the blood suckers.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones