• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Very Confused...??? (Battery/Awake Time/4G combo post) a little long sorry :(

wubbie075

Android Enthusiast
May 31, 2010
A little history: Had the phone since launch. Did most of the battery "tricks" when they came out: GSM fix, stop GTalk auto login, tried the on-off-on charge thing, but never ever got more than a minute of red LED before it turned green again, turned auto-sync off, etc. I usually have what I consider pretty good battery life. I've almost never run out of power during the day, and the few times I did it was because of pretty heavy (for me) usage. When I try to see how long I can go without charging I've usually gotten through 28-30 hours before I had to plug in. (please spare me the "your battery suxxx!! I've gone 7 months since my last charge and I'm at 98%" posts)

So last night I charged to full battery, unplugged cause I had to charge my BT headphones too, then went to bed. 7+ hours later I wake up and my battery is around 10%. Usually when I unplug I lose less than 10% through the night.

So here is the obvious culprit: I've recently gotten stable 4G in my home and I forgot to turn it off when I went to bed. Easy game.

But....................

I went to look at a few settings to confirm that it wasn't something else and I see something really odd.

Up Time was 120 hours
Awake Time was 117 hours???

Now, if I am understanding this properly, this means my phone was booted up 5 days ago and of those 5 days my phone was only asleep for 3 hours?? Is this possible? (I am no techie so I very well could be misunderstanding it)

I have not been having battery problems for all 5 days, only last night, but these numbers seem to indicate I should barely have been able to get through half a day without the battery dying for this entire period. I looked at my "running services" and there were a ton of things that had been running for the entire 120 hours. I have checked this in the past when reading battery threads, but since I have been satisfied with my battery life in general, it's not something I really check regularly, so I have no clue if this is a recent development or not.

The battery usage showed around 42-43% for both Phone Idle and Cell Standby since I unplugged last night.

I also noticed that I had turned off auto-syncing, but still had background data "always on". But again, this is something that would have been the case for the entire last 5 days (and more, really), so it should not be the cause of last night's drop.

Can someone who actually understands this stuff please make sense of all this for me?

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones