Virgin Mobile and Froyo

Last Updated:

1. madhatter1689

madhatter1689 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I was told that on their own Twitter site it was announced we would be getting Froyo in early September. No sign of it yet and this is now well into the middle of the month. Is it a case that their updates are a little like their trains - LATE!!

Advertisement
  2. anoniemouse

anoniemouse Well-Known Member

I think all the service providers are the same, late providing updates & more often than not including their own crap in the rom too.

3. dj.GETAFIX

dj.GETAFIX Well-Known Member

i bet we will be waiting for ages for the ota update.....
    had the phone about 3 weeks now and im still waiting for the sd card that
    never came with the phone, so i dont have much faith in virgin mobile :mad:
    took 5 calls for them to give in and admit i should have got it pre installed...
    virgin just dont seem to have the best after sales policy to customers...
    funny that after they ram there tounge so far up yer ass to get you to sighn up.... wouldent be suprised if froyo comes in december as a crimbo present
    from them :(

4. SB13X

SB13X Well-Known Member

Get it updated manually and debranded while your at it. Not free if you need to buy a spare MicroSD card to create a goldcard with but still a couple of quid for one is worth it to get the update sorted. Plenty of guides around to get it done on here.

5. nofear

nofear Well-Known Member

I have gone off them loads since I first joined. SOmeone already posted and I was in a simliar position. I could have pulled their pants down, spanked them and asked for a hand job they were that desperate to sell me a phone.

Now all I have is netowrk problems and the phone is being my worst enemy and no one wants to help.

6. dmunky666

dmunky666 Member

Im with Virgin Mobile who have just sent me a HTC Desire because the nokia 5800 I had was faulty on so many occasions.

I have to agree there Customer Service is a disgrace. The manager I spoke with was really good and helpful just wish they were all like this!!

She explained that the Desire was out of stock and would send me "As New" one. I agreed to this and recieved it at work the following day and my god haha the phone came in a battered box like it had been kicked about, the charger looked like it had just been chucked in not wrapped or tied up, didnt come with a SD Card and a 2 page quick start guide. I called the manager back up and even said she felt like banging her head against the wall because they cant get anything right haha

Sorry for all the above being my first post, but love the desire it wipes the floor with any iphone or BB. So all new to the Andriod so just wondering what this Froyo is and is it to do with the Andriod and what will it do when Virgin decide to release it? Ive Looked an my current version is 2.1-update1 and my software number is 1.23.351.1 should this be a better version as ive checked for a new version and it says no updates

7. davejalu

davejalu Member

I called Virgin Mobile tonight, asking for a date for the Froyo update for my HTC Desire. They simply said I need to call HTC on tel 0845 8900 079

They would'nt offer any further confirmation other than it is up to HTC to confirm when the update will be available through the Virgin network.

8. madhatter1689

and if you contact HTC they will say it is up to Virgin!!, Pushed, Pillar, Post me thinks

9. dmunky666

dmunky666 Member

I had this problem when I had the nokia 5800. Nokia released update which corrected a few issues and Virgin asked me to contact Nokia and they told me to contact Virgin...Virgin are clueless, I hate ringing them getting through to some South African with a 3 second delay in voice and then sometimes getting through to the Phillipines, which is just as bad speaking to someone in India!!

HTC have released the software its just Virgin who have to test it and then give it the ok...You would get more sense speaking to a dog than VM

10. simmy

simmy Member

Getting totaly pissed off with Virgin WTF is going on FROYO ME NOW YA FECKERS !!!!!!!

11. simonbelfast

simonbelfast Member

i am just off the phone with them and the girl is clueless! she virgin dont do phone updates and that it is available form the htc website. i tried to explain that this is not the case but she insisted that it is. its a firmware update on the htc website - these people are idiots!

12. alan hanson

alan hanson Well-Known Member

to be fair she has probably been told as much or more likely less than you have found out. YOu knwo most of your info from the web she deals with othe handsets and updates most likely arent her specific area.

Dont blame 1 person for the companies mistakes she didnt decide to bugger the upate up and to be honest i dont understand why so many peeps are ringing them only to be told what they already know!

13. simonbelfast

simonbelfast Member

not blaming her she is just symptomatic of virgin's lack of knowledge. she did say she just checked the htc website.

14. dmunky666

dmunky666 Member

The HTC will show the update as being available...but there very dopey at knowing that this is needed to checked and ok'd by Virgin.

They are not given in the knowledge of anything technical...Reminds me of fonejacker with the guy reading of a rolling script, saying it comes with free ring dings

[​IMG]

I would ring Virgin up, but im sick of speaking to them, I have spent close to 5 hours on the phone to them in the last month getting a replacement phone...and it paid off getting sent a HTC. What will we see different in the new update?

15. riki1kenobi

riki1kenobi Well-Known Member

Wasnt there some EU directive being touted that prevented carriers from branding/locking the phones they sold? I remember reading about it but I havent heard anything for ages. A quick search came up with nowt :(

16. simonbelfast

simonbelfast Member

just tweeted them and reply came to say just ironing out a few creases should be ready soon.

17. dmunky666

dmunky666 Member

What is there twitter page? Few creases, bet there are none that need doing accept for them to put there flash logo when you boot up haha

18. simonbelfast

simonbelfast Member

yeh virgin media on twitter.

19. dmunky666

dmunky666 Member

Anyone had much update on this?

20. simonbelfast

simonbelfast Member

nothing still waiting.

21. davejalu

davejalu Member

I did call Virgin back after HTC said they have released the update for Virgin , but its up to them to release it over their network. The person I got through to was actually very knowledgable about the handset, so much so, that they could'nt wait for Virgin to release it and advised to look at XDA Developers to apply my own update!

The guy I was speaking to at Virgin said it is being tested at the moment by Virgin (seems a very familiar reply) and would be coming out soon (which in reality, could be any time!).

I was very surprised that someone at Virgin would advise to go to XDA Developers so you could get Froyo. I asked whether I would need to debrand or unlock my phone to get Froyo this way and they said no. I simply can't believe this and would welcome any advice how you could apply Froyo without debrnading or unlocking your phone?

Any advice very welcome.

22. dmunky666

dmunky666 Member

I think I might do this and try the Froyo out. Im sending my HTC phone back to them when they get more in stock hoping that I get the new 2.2 on the new phone.

Can someone tell me what the XDA is? And maybe a step by step on how to do this?

Cheers

23. davejalu

davejalu Member

The web site that the Virgin mobile person told me about was xda-developers but as far as advice on exactly what to try I couldn't offer any advice on this. I'm a newbie when it comes to any 'rooting' or debranding , not done it or know what to do.

Good luck, if anyone has any advice, always welcome.

24. madhatter1689

25. davejalu

davejalu Member

Will take a look, many thanks.