• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Want the full 2.1 look on 2.01 - you're in luck!

swiping to move between pictures isn't in the 2.0.1 Gallery. Therefore, it is added functionality.

Read it again bro. Tilting the photos using the accelerometer provides no obvious functionality. It's just there to show-off the 3D elements of 2.1. Swiping is a part of 2.1 Gallery, but again, overall, it is NOT a better gallery presentation. I prefer and like how HTC implemented their gallery for Sense UI. Was hoping that 2.1 would do something like that instead of some goofy, tilting garbage.

Upvote 0
Read it again bro. Tilting the photos using the accelerometer provides no obvious functionality. It's just there to show-off the 3D elements of 2.1. Swiping is a part of 2.1 Gallery, but again, overall, it is NOT a better gallery presentation. I prefer and like how HTC implemented their gallery for Sense UI. Was hoping that 2.1 would do something like that instead of some goofy, tilting garbage.

read what? I read your statement where you stated that the 2.1 Gallery brings no additional functionality over the 2.0.1 Gallery. It does. The swiping to move between pictures is functionality that is in the 2.1 Gallery and not in the 2.0.1 Gallery. Therefore, it's additional and useful functionality.

If the "tilting" and the "pretty UI" stuff is all you noticed, then you didn't use the 2.1 Gallery very much.

And what I have highlighted is your opinion. I love the 2.1 Gallery. Much easier to view pictures. Easier to navigate pictures.

Upvote 0
NO ROOT REQUIRED

you can get multiple home screens with the default 2.01, Launcher+ beta, free in the market

you can install 2.1 Gallery from an apk, no root, using Astro (also in the market)

You can install the 2.1 launcher from an apk, no root, using astro.

Anyone need links or files let me know. But so far, I havn't rooted my phone and have been able to try all of the functions listed.

that said,

I uninstalled the 2.1 launcher, just prefer GDE.
I installed, then uninstalled the 2.1 gallery. I liked it, but my images would not detail appropriately. Meaning, I would see the thumbs, everything worked great, loved it. But when I tapped on a thumb, the pic would display, but would be pixelated and never sharpen.
Launcher+ is sweet, works fine, no lag. but because I prefer the look and feel of GDE (which comes with multiple screens) I uninstalled it.

hope this helps. if not, I am terribly, TERRIBLY sorry.

Upvote 0
i KNOWWWW I can make it my main home screen...Like i said...I exhausted all options. I know you can make it the default home screen and blah blah blah but the point is that no matter what there is always some lag when using a home replacement. Launcher+ was the best but i would PREFER to use the native home launcher with 5 screens. I appreciate you guys trying to help though :).

Upvote 0
Sorry if this was covered. I just read this entire thread from page one and am confused on one thing. I see the talk about getting the 5 screens with 2.0.1 . I am interested in it but i am not rooted. Is it an .apk and if so can someone pm a link to it. I dont really care about the gallery. Im really just interested in the five screens cause my 3 are full. Any help i would appreciate it. Thanks

i see some people say you can without root and then some you have to root.

Upvote 0
Sorry if this was covered. I just read this entire thread from page one and am confused on one thing. I see the talk about getting the 5 screens with 2.0.1 . I am interested in it but i am not rooted. Is it an .apk and if so can someone pm a link to it. I dont really care about the gallery. Im really just interested in the five screens cause my 3 are full. Any help i would appreciate it. Thanks

i see some people say you can without root and then some you have to root.

If all you want are the screens then you can hit up the market for an app called Launcher+. If you want what's in this thread then you have to be rooted.

Upvote 0
I have the GDE homescreen app installed on my motorola droid and the Hero theme which i like cause it has the phone button, contacts button, and menu button on the bottom of the screen. I also love all the features that GDE has but im still running 2.0.1 and the only thing missing is the 2.1 launcher. is there any way to install .apk 2.1 launcher while using GDE and still have the hero theme but with the 2.1 launcher instead of the old menu screen?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones