• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Want the full 2.1 look on 2.01 - you're in luck!

The only thing I miss with the new launcher with its nice 5 screens is the widget that worked like a small drawer for my favorite shortcuts to reside in. Kept them all tidy and out of my way but easily accessible without clutter and no ugly folder on my desktop. Just a tap and the slider widget opened for me to choose my shortcut. No accidental launching when I picked up my phone. It is part of Open Home and AHome. Pretty slick and about the only thing I like about that home replacement, sad to say.

Upvote 0
I do believe it has updated since the original posting. It is over at alldroid. They have also posted what appears to be a stock 2.0.1 with five screens as well. I have not tried this out since I am not having any issues with the 2.1 launcher.

That's what I'm using right now, the tweaked 2.01 launcher w/five screens. Completely solid, doesn't drag the phone down or cause any issues. Really happy with it. I may try the 2.1 again after the dev who is working on it releases an update, mainly to get the navigation dots at the bottom of the home screen - I really liked those. Don't like the new app drawer very much, however...

The 2.1 launcher still hasn't been updated, still 1.1a release.

Upvote 0
What is the difference between the "launcher" and the HOME interface?
I don't think there is a difference. I've seen references to launcher being open. I don't see how Google would let Cyanogen distribute the launcher (or home or whatever) if it was closed. All they seemed to care about were the Google services apps like maps, gmail, and market. You can't just say everything Google developed is closed because they developed the whole OS. There are apps, like phone and messaging (and I think browser), that are obviously open.

I'm just saying... the argument makes no sense. We need a definitive source for what is and isn't open.

Upvote 0
I don't think there is a difference. I've seen references to launcher being open. I don't see how Google would let Cyanogen distribute the launcher (or home or whatever) if it was closed. All they seemed to care about were the Google services apps like maps, gmail, and market. You can't just say everything Google developed is closed because they developed the whole OS. There are apps, like phone and messaging (and I think browser), that are obviously open.

I'm just saying... the argument makes no sense. We need a definitive source for what is and isn't open.

I didn't say that everything Google developed was closed. I said all the apps that Google developed are closed....unless Google posts the app's code online. They have posted the Chromium code that is the source for it's Chrome browser online, therefore, it is open-source. Android's OS code is online, therefore, it is open-source.

If the native app's code is not distributed online by Google, then it's not open-source.

Here are the open-sourced native apps:

Alarm Clock
Browser
Calculator
Camera
Contacts
Email
Messaging
Launcher
Music
Phone
VoiceDialer

These can be found here under "platform/packages/apps/"

Upvote 0
I do believe it has updated since the original posting. It is over at alldroid. They have also posted what appears to be a stock 2.0.1 with five screens as well. I have not tried this out since I am not having any issues with the 2.1 launcher.

Just loaded the stock 2.0.1 with five screens - LOVE IT! Thank you for posting the reference!

Upvote 0
So I downloaded both the 2.1 Gallery and Launcher2 apk. And after playing with it, I promptly went back to the stock 2.0.1. I actually like the 2.0.1 Gallery compared to the new "3D-enabled" Gallery. Who cares if it tilts with the accelerometer? It provides no additional functionality. Sorting by date is nice, but it really isn't that much better overall.

The Launcher... I kind of like the new "App Tray" but how much time do I actually spend in the app tray? Again... overall, not that much better. I think I will still use Home++ as a replacement for 2.1's home. In fact, if Home++ included the 3D app tray, why even use the 2.1 stocker? That's just my opinion.

Don't get me wrong, I'm looking forward to the 2.1 update, but I'm a bit disappointed at some of these native apps haven't really improved.

Upvote 0
im running it now .5 screens and the new app drawer.im running 2.0.1.im also rooted to run 2.1 if i want to.it is 2 buggy for me.just download the launcher2 apk file on your sd card.open with astro then hit install.when you start your phone up it will ask for launcher.just hit launcher and you will have it.

Upvote 0
I wanted stock 2.0.1 with 5 homescreens. not the 2.1 launcher...is there an apk for stock 2.0.1 5 homescreen launcher????

I don't think so, but I could be wrong. I am rooted, so I backed up the stock launcher and replaced it with the 5 homescreen launcher (found on alldroid). The good news (for me at least) is that it doesn't seem to use any additional memory, which was the problem I had with the 2.1 launcher which seemed to really slow down my droid...

Upvote 0
So I downloaded both the 2.1 Gallery and Launcher2 apk. And after playing with it, I promptly went back to the stock 2.0.1. I actually like the 2.0.1 Gallery compared to the new "3D-enabled" Gallery. Who cares if it tilts with the accelerometer? It provides no additional functionality. Sorting by date is nice, but it really isn't that much better overall.

swiping to move between pictures isn't in the 2.0.1 Gallery. Therefore, it is added functionality.

Upvote 0
root is not required.just download the apk flie on your sd card.then open with astro.then install.you get the 5 screens with the app drawer.i think the gallery has to be insta\lled through rooting of the phone.i could be wrong on the gallery.hope this helps.

no, the 2.1 Gallery can be installed on 2.0.1 WITHOUT rooting.

Upvote 0
The only thing I was talking about that requires rooting (I think) is the 2.0.1 launcher with 5 home screens. The 2.1 Gallery (which I am using - love it) and the 2.1 launcher (tried it for several days - used too much memory) do NOT require root to install.

Again, I "think" that the 2.0.1 launcher with the 5 home screens requires root. That said, it works really well and does not seem to consume any additional memory.

Upvote 0
Thanks percomp i understood you from the start...bahhh i really wanna do the root to add the homescreens to stock 2.0.1...Will rooting require me reinstalling 2.0.1 and will i lose all my settings/apps etc? I know I will rpobably get flamed for this...sorry

rooting is EASY - the only real danger is what can be done after you root. I personally have not had any issues at all since I rooted, and the changes I have made are minimal... If you want to go that route, there are several threads that describe the process step by step, and there are some forum members out there that have been extremely generous with information. I happen to know my way around the linux shell, so that certainly makes it easier, but rooting is not hard.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones