• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Well, I did it!

Bob Maxey

Android Expert
Sep 24, 2010
I am installing Ubuntu as we e-speak! For real! I thought long and hard about it; I lived with Ubuntu for one week and decided today to make it my default OS. Never thought I would give in to the Linux world.

For the foreseeable future or until I decide I no longer want to learn and I give up because it is always easier to give up, I'll give it a go. Ubuntu will fill my HDD and there is no going back. Unless it is to return to Windows 95 and a full install of DOS!

OK, so I had a chance to fiddle with Win 8 and I did not like it. Windows 7 is a great OS, but I want something new. I selected Ubuntu because I have the CD and I did try it briefly in the past. Perhaps I'll troll the forums and learn how much Ubuntu sucks compared to Kubuntu or one of the hundreds or so other forks and knives and distros or whatever you "experts" call the different flavors.

I suspect there are legions of Crux and Deft and Puppy and Fuduntu and Pear lovers out there that might not like Ubuntu for any number of reasons; much like some Android users hate Apple. Besides, we all know that Deft and Puppy are designed for women and children.

Microsoft? I gave you a chance... I really did but I just cannot abide Windows Metro, so I'll try the costly "free" Ubuntu and give you a chance to wow me. It will be hard, Mr. Ubuntu. Your software is "complicated" and nothing is familiar. Not your fault, I suppose. In many ways, you are a very expensive OS, so do not screw with me!

At this point, I will try to get Office up and running. I need something to Wine about today. Wow, my first Linux-ish joke. Next thing you know, I'll become a real Linux user. Just add 80 pounds, give up girls, collect Star Wars crap in the original packaging, get fitted for a Starfleet uniform come convention time and move into my mom's basement.

Perhaps wrap my eyeglass frames with tape and wear T-Shirt with penguins in Tuxedos. I already have such an image on my desktop, so the transform has begun.

Or perhaps I'll try another Linux distro because I discovered there are hundreds of them out there. Perhaps I'll go broke trying to find the next thing better than Ubuntu. I do not know enough to know if Ubuntu stinks or is good. Apparently, with hundreds of Distros, nobody in the developer community can seem to get it right, with this constant reinvention of the OS.

So, I had to reinstall Windows 7. No matter what I did, there was no WiFi. No help, no solutions on the web, just no WiFi. Windows reported no Wireless Hardware was installed. I could not install drivers for the networking crap because my Hardware did not exist. So said Winders.

Win7 just could not find my hardware, and I Googled the hell out of the question and no resolution in sight. I have deadlines so I cannot afford to screw with Windows.

Ubuntu did find my hardware. At the coffee shop yesterday, Ubuntu could see perhaps two dozen wireless devices, routers, magic boxes and other stuff nobody on earth understands or can begin to explain. I did not know there were so many routers in downtown SLC. Many are unsecured, which seems rather odd.

Windows 7 could not see I was sitting next to. But this post/rant is not about Windows or how much it rules or sucks. I still love Windows.

If any of you think Ubuntu or any Linux distro is easy to use and it is easier than Winders, you are nuts.:rolleyes: I hear it all the time; Ubuntu is easier than Windows. I seriously doubt it. :p. If anything, it takes a good deal of time to learn what Windows makes easy as pie.

In Windows, you DL an install program, double click it and after a time, there is an icon on your desktop. Not so with Linux. Where the hell did it go? Is it in /root/stuck/Ubuntu/Hell/WTF or perhaps it is in bin/usr/clueless/newbee/fiddlerontheroof?

What the heck are all of those folders and what goes there or here or in that one? And when I DL a Linux program and I double click it and what do I do next? Where did the icon go after installation? ?/?/?/?/root/sudo this, Linux, with your DOS command line. WTF? A command line? We do not want that, we want a GUI.

Stop trying to be a wanna-be Microsoft; we do not want to learn 'xcopy diry1 diry2 /p;' we want to right-click and select "copy." We want to drag files to the trash. Come on Linux, it is no longer 1990, where real computers users were measured by how well they knew how to use DOS commands. Today, we measure people by how many likes and friends they have on Facebook and Twitter.:D:D:D

No, God only knows where things go in this crazy Linux world.:D I think my software downloads are lost forever because Linux is not user friendly and I cannot find the stuff I downloaded from your software center application.

And why oh why do I not have access to lost+found or permission to view the contents of "root" Ubuntu says I do not have access and I want access, dagnabbit. The Root folder opens and there is nothing there. Should something be there? What are you hiding from me, UB?

Do I need to visit the Androidforums.com and find the Ubuntu thread and then select the "Ubuntu-All Things Root" thread just to get root access to Root before I can see root? What are you, Android or something?

I am (I think) the all-powerful administrator and I demand you yield to me or It is off to DistroWatch and I'll replace you with Puppy or KRUD or Icepack. Just another example of Linux wanting to control things and do it their way.

BTW, WTF is Lost+Found? What should be there? why is my folder empty? should it be empty or is the NSA viewing my files as we speak?

And I quote: "With that in mind, it should be no surprise that Mark Shuttleworth, founder of Canonical and Ubuntu, has been laying down the law on what's going into Ubuntu 10.04. As Shuttleworth said in a discussion over some major changes in Ubuntu's graphical design, "This is not a democracy. Good feedback, good data, are welcome. But, we are not voting on design decisions." As my compadre Brian Proffitt pointed out in ITworld, "Shuttleworth is in the right here. Ubuntu and a vast majority of free and open source software projects, including the Linux kernel, have never been democracies. They are meritocracies, and any member of a community that thinks otherwise is kidding themselves."

Apparently, they want to control us just like Apple. :mad::rolleyes::p:D Dang you Ubuntu!

I know, Linux is a "real OS" with a learning curve. I have accepted that. I knew this from previous tryouts and I know this going in full tilt and partially blind. I know there will be heaps of madness and book learnin' and stuff before I know enough to complain about the OS. My experiences do remind me of my cursory experiences with Unix, the Real Man's OS! We ran it on HP test equipment.

So, for better or worse, I'll be a "Linux guy." For now. Wish me luck.

Hahah, awesome. Congrats Bob!

It is definitely a strange new world when you first jump ship. I'm still trying to learn where everything goes. Programs are a bit confusing, especially when you download a file from the web and install from source.

For most of what you'll want though, you can get it with apt-get.

Code:
sudo apt-get install SuperProgram5000
There is also the Ubuntu Software Store (or whatever they're calling it now). It is a front end for apt-get...

Enjoy. :D

Upvote 0
Awesome post.

I've tried a few times with Office and Wine but without fruit.

I know one Linux guru here at work (We have many developers) who has managed to get office (including outlook - which is a real achievement as its apparently not possible) working in Wine. You've set yourself a challenge there.

Me, I use Vmware player with a win7 install and run it in "Unity Mode" which works pretty well. Similar idea to XP mode. You can run applications seamlessly from Linux using a small popup windows menu

Upvote 0
Hahah, awesome. Congrats Bob!

It is definitely a strange new world when you first jump ship. I'm still trying to learn where everything goes. Programs are a bit confusing, especially when you download a file from the web and install from source.

For most of what you'll want though, you can get it with apt-get.

Code:
sudo apt-get install SuperProgram5000
There is also the Ubuntu Software Store (or whatever they're calling it now). It is a front end for apt-get...

Enjoy. :D

UPDATE: I switched to Mint. It looks more like Windows. Ubuntu looks like one of my niece's Playskool toys.

Besides, I prefer "yum install Opera" Yum is easy for me to remember. And the name says it all, Yum!

You are right. WTF does one do with that odd file? I tried to install Opera and I finally discovered this command:

FU://sudo apt-get-hope-pray-install::; bash terminal rename c://colon dev/etc/root/apt-prey.

And that was just to rename the file.

Next week is Opera install week so I'll let you know how it goes.

I do miss the simple Windows way: Download the file, click the file and install the program. No silly root access needed, just install, run and spend weeks eliminating the virus. So much easier.

Seriously, I think it will take some time to learn. I do recall a few things from past experiences and I am keeping notes.

Upvote 0
Just installed Ubuntu myself, along side of 7 and 8 though.

I need it to unbrick someones tablet. Other than that I think I will stick with my Windows though :)

wouldn't want to offend anyone that doesn't fall into this category
Next thing you know, I'll become a real Linux user. Just add 80 pounds, give up girls, collect Star Wars crap in the original packaging, get fitted for a Starfleet uniform come convention time and move into my mom's basement.

Perhaps wrap my eyeglass frames with tape and wear T-Shirt with penguins in Tuxedos. I already have such an image on my desktop, so the transform has begun.
It may be to much geekiness for normal people to behold, LOL!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones