• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What Are the Must Have Apps For a New iPhone Convert?

There are a lot and without much preference stated the list could be hard to narrow down. A lot of the best mobile apps in general that you've used on iOS also exist on Android (Pandora, Mint, Amazon, etc.) so I'll skip those and get right to the Android only stuff.

• Astro - Top notch file manager.
  • AudioManager - Widget that lets you control all system wide volume levels independently or with profiles.
  • Listen - Podcatcher, first-party.
  • Plume - My favorite Twitter client.
  • PowerAMP - The best music player on Android. Has an equalizer, built-in song ID3 editing, and folder selection so ringtones and notifications aren't mistaken for music.
  • Reader - RSS reader for Google Reader, first-party.
  • Ringdroid - Create custom ringtones and notifications easily from any audio file on your phone.
  • SwiftKey - Incredible keyboard replacement that does word prediction.
  • Tasker - Phone automation. Mid to advanced users only.
  • Vignette - Camera and photo editing app. Tons of options for still photography and even more for editing.

Upvote 0
[*]PowerAMP - The best music player on Android. Has an equalizer, built-in song ID3 editing, and folder selection so ringtones and notifications aren't mistaken for music.
[/LIST]

Just downloaded PowerAMP. I have a question. I have to drag and drop my music because I am on a Mac so I can't really add artwork like I want to for each album. I downloaded a grap album artwork app and it works for the stock music player but now when I am playing my songs in PowerAMP the new artwork is not coming up. Any suggestions?

Upvote 0
I'm not familiar with Android / iPhone exclusivity but some of my favorites are:

Lookout Mobile Security - (Creates emergency backup of contents, locates lost device and anti-virus all in one)
News Republic - a MUST for iPhone or Android. Awesome news app that lets you search for you desired topics and save them to your home page. Also can pick the sources so you can weed out the biased stuff.
YouVersion Bible - If it's your bag it's awesome.
Opera Mobile - i like it better than the stock browser.
DropBox - If you don't know what this is already, it's super convenient to have it on your phone. Network storage that syncs data between computers and devices. 2GB free saves you in a pinch.
Google Voice - Free local #, Free Visual VM, Free Texting, what's not to like?
TuneIn Radio - Saved me last year when I needed to hear my team play on the other side of the country. Just pulled in the local radio from 1900 miles away. Awesome!
Vlingo - Voice to text for everything, emailing, texting, search. Great for driving!
USAA Deposit Mobile - if you bank with USAA you can make deposits by taking pictures of the checks. Amazingly convenient.

The beauty of Android isn't in the Apps. though. They're nice, but the real beauty in Android is the Widgets and customizability.

Welcome to Android!

Upvote 0
Just downloaded PowerAMP. I have a question. I have to drag and drop my music because I am on a Mac so I can't really add artwork like I want to for each album. I downloaded a grap album artwork app and it works for the stock music player but now when I am playing my songs in PowerAMP the new artwork is not coming up. Any suggestions?

I noticed you have an HTC device. I still prefer the default music player. I downloaded the PowerAMP and played with the equalizer. Music still sounded better on the default music player.

Upvote 0
I noticed you have an HTC device. I still prefer the default music player. I downloaded the PowerAMP and played with the equalizer. Music still sounded better on the default music player.

Not everybody can hear the same you can. Different individuals' capacity to hear and appreciate audio quality varies widely. Most people are deaf in varying degrees.
(E.g. including myself: can't hear over 9,000Hz; test your own hearing; you'll be surprised how limited it is).

@Empyre213:
apps I recommend you have have a serious look at:

Antivirus – FREE
App2SD – FREE
Backup Everything – FREE
Camera360 – FREE
Dolphin Browser HD – FREE
Don't touch my Droid – FREE
DropBox (http://db.tt/qXsCrvx) – FREE
ES File Explorer – FREE
GPS Essentials – FREE
Hide Photo – FREE
MapDroyd – FREE
Mini Info – FREE
Mobyler – FREE
Mr. Number Call Block – FREE
My Fake Location – FREE
OpenSignal – FREE
SendPosition – FREE
Skyfire – FREE
Speed test – FREE
SpeedHUD – FREE
Spyshot – FREE
System Panel – FREE
Teamviewer – FREE – remote PC/Mac operation
WiFi Analyzer – FREE
WiFi File Explorer – FREE
WikiDroid – FREE
Y5 - Battery Saver – FREE

Upvote 0
What Are the Must Have Apps For a New iPhone Convert?
Must have is always highly subjective even among a group such as "iPhone converts" as they're not all identical. Define what types of apps you think are must haves and people can provide meaningful suggestions. Otherwise there are countless, top and must have app threads that you can refer to if you really want blind recommendations like that.

I have to drag and drop my music because I am on a Mac so I can't really add artwork like I want to for each album.
There are sync apps for Mac. I don't have names off the top of my head but options are discussed quite a bit.

I don't see what drag and drop versus sync has to do with album art. You can ensure that your music files have album art even if you don't sync. They're not mutually exclusive.

The beauty of Android isn't in the Apps. though. They're nice, but the real beauty in Android is the Widgets and customizability.
I wouldn't downplay the apps so much. The stock apps certainly aren't all that and the apps do make a big difference IMO. If I couldn't download and run apps I wouldn't be using Android. YMMV, of course.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones