• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What exactly is this slient bug?

One of the "popular" variations of "The Silent Bug" is when you place a phone call, the call appears to have completed but you nor the receiving party can hear anything. The phone must then be power-cycled before another call can successfully be placed. In my case the variation was I couldn't hear anything, but the recieving party could hear "This mother #$%^&# phone!"....then power cycle, and call back like nothing happened. Frustrating, especially if the call is (was) important.

Upvote 0
One of the "popular" variations of "The Silent Bug" is when you place a phone call, the call appears to have completed but you nor the receiving party can hear anything. The phone must then be power-cycled before another call can successfully be placed. In my case the variation was I couldn't hear anything, but the recieving party could hear "This mother #$%^&# phone!"....then power cycle, and call back like nothing happened. Frustrating, especially if the call is (was) important.

I noticed that the silent bug always happens at important calls.
No kidding.
Maybe when answering an important call one answers it too quickly?
Peter

Upvote 0
I think I may have a variation of the silent bug. sometimes when I receive a call, the phone rings at a normal volume for just a moment, then the ring becomes very very quiet. it is also accompanied by a vibration. this happens even though the ringer is turned all the way up.

This kinda sounds like you have the "Quiet Ring on Pickup" option checked. It's in the Sound & Display options menu. If it is, then it's supposed to become quitet if you move the phone when it rings.

Just a thought...

Reactions: deezer
Upvote 0
I think I may have a variation of the silent bug. sometimes when I receive a call, the phone rings at a normal volume for just a moment, then the ring becomes very very quiet. it is also accompanied by a vibration. this happens even though the ringer is turned all the way up.
That's not a bug. Its a "feature". I hate it as well, but fortunately, you can turn it off. Go to settings > Sound and Display, and look for something along the lines of "Quiet ring on pickup" and disable it. Then it will ring at full volume until you answer it.

If you had the silent bug, your phone would still ring, but you wouldn't hear anything when you answer the call.

Reactions: jhewit22 and deezer
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones