• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What features do you want on the Evo 2?

- 4.3" Mirasol or Pixel Qi 720p display
- Better camera quality
- Tegra 2 (250) SoC
- 1GB RAM
- 8GB Internal memory
- SDXC card slot
- Slightly more robust kickstand
- NFC
- CDMA, GSM, WiMax (not interested in LTE yet since the LTE networks won't kick into high gear worldwide for another 3-4 years)
- Built-in inductive charging system (think powermat and Palm Pre touchstone)
- Gorilla glass
- Lithium Air battery

I think that about wraps up my wish list.

Upvote 0
- 4.3" Mirasol or Pixel Qi 720p display
- Better camera quality
- Tegra 2 (250) SoC
- 1GB RAM
- 8GB Internal memory
- SDXC card slot
- Slightly more robust kickstand
- NFC
- CDMA, GSM, WiMax (not interested in LTE yet since the LTE networks won't kick into high gear worldwide for another 3-4 years)
- Built-in inductive charging system (think powermat and Palm Pre touchstone)
- Gorilla glass
- Lithium Air battery

I think that about wraps up my wish list.

Better camera quality? You aren't going to get much better than the Evo has now unless there is a drastic change in sensor technology. A megapixel increase at this point will begin to be counterproductive, the more lenses you cram on a chip the smaller the pixels have to be resulting in less quality and more noise in the picture.

As far as the rest, sounds good to me, but I would still like to see a slide out keyboard as long as they can do it and keep the current thickness.

Also, a small increase in size would be welcome, just enough to get a 5" screen. I could go bigger than that, but hey, I am a sasquatch!

Upvote 0
Better camera quality? You aren't going to get much better than the Evo has now unless there is a drastic change in sensor technology. A megapixel increase at this point will begin to be counterproductive, the more lenses you cram on a chip the smaller the pixels have to be resulting in less quality and more noise in the picture.

You are referring to "quantity"...he was referring to quality. You are correct, this phone has plenty of "quantity". While the iPhone has less "quantity" but better quality. And it is all in the sensor(and maybe optics) as has been discussed on this forum ad nauseum.

Upvote 0

As far as the rest, sounds good to me, but I would still like to see a slide out keyboard as long as they can do it and keep the current thickness.

Also, a small increase in size would be welcome, just enough to get a 5" screen. I could go bigger than that, but hey, I am a sasquatch!
They could easily improve the camera quality on the Evo. You don't have to have more megapixels to have better quality.

For example, using Carl Zeiss optics would probably result in a huge improvement in image quality. Using a better compression would probably result in much better quality videos.

And it goes without saying that putting the camera in a scratch prone pedestal decreases the quality. If your lens is all scratched up, even if you don't see a huge scratch in your pictures, it is absolutely hurting the quality.

Things I'd like to see in the next version...

1: Slide out keyboard. The one from the Touch Pro 2 would be perfect. Tilting too, so we don't need a kickstand anymore.
2: HDMI port that outputs whatever is on the screen.
3: More powerful battery.
4: Better 4G implementation. Don't recommend we only turn it on as needed if it takes several minutes to turn it on.
4: Recessed camera lens.
5: Better processor.
6: More RAM.
7: Better storage; faster, more, etc.
8: Same size (or even bigger) screen that doesn't separate or have light leakage. Possibly have 3D even, like the Nintendo 3DS (no glasses required).
9: The phone features from the Touch Pro 2. For those that don't know....
9a: When you lay the phone face down while on a call the speakerphone automatically turns on.
9b: An awesome conference calling setup built into the phone app (much better than the stock way of conference calling, merging calls, etc).
9c: Multiple, loud, clear, noise cancelling speakers and mics for the full duplex speaker phone (and work good for music too).
10: If they really wanted to have a top notch device, they could also include an office suite. And I don't mean a viewer, I mean something that will let me create and edit a word doc, excel spreadsheet, etc. And something that will view and edit the word docs made on word mobile from the old windows mobile. None of the viewers I have found can read these files.
11: Easy to root. No e-fuse crap. Let us hack it up if we want.

Upvote 0
You are referring to "quantity"...he was referring to quality. You are correct, this phone has plenty of "quantity". While the iPhone has less "quantity" but better quality. And it is all in the sensor(and maybe optics) as has been discussed on this forum ad nauseum.

They could easily improve the camera quality on the Evo. You don't have to have more megapixels to have better quality.

For example, using Carl Zeiss optics would probably result in a huge improvement in image quality. Using a better compression would probably result in much better quality videos.

And it goes without saying that putting the camera in a scratch prone pedestal decreases the quality. If your lens is all scratched up, even if you don't see a huge scratch in your pictures, it is absolutely hurting the quality.

1: Slide out keyboard. The one from the Touch Pro 2 would be perfect. Tilting too, so we don't need a kickstand anymore.
4: Better 4G implementation. Don't recommend we only turn it on as needed if it takes several minutes to turn it on.
8: Same size (or even bigger) screen that doesn't separate or have light leakage. Possibly have 3D even, like the Nintendo 3DS (no glasses required).
9a: When you lay the phone face down while on a call the speakerphone automatically turns on.
9b: An awesome conference calling setup built into the phone app (much better than the stock way of conference calling, merging calls, etc).
9c: Multiple, loud, clear, noise cancelling speakers and mics for the full duplex speaker phone (and work good for music too).
10: If they really wanted to have a top notch device, they could also include an office suite. And I don't mean a viewer, I mean something that will let me create and edit a word doc, excel spreadsheet, etc. And something that will view and edit the word docs made on word mobile from the old windows mobile. None of the viewers I have found can read these files.

My apologies, I just reverted to what the general public refers to as an increase in quality, I hear it often; "They need to increase the megapixels to make this camera better". I should know better than to assume on this forum.

I think the sensor is just fine, you can get some amazing pictures with the Evo. Better optics would be a more substantial upgrade, maybe even a limited zoom lens.

Upvote 0

I think all of these are within reach except the 3D thing. This would either require a ton of work by HTC to change android or a ton of work by Google to do the same (change android and make it compatible for 3D screens). I suppose it COULD work for games and such, but I just don;t see this happening at all, any time soon. Ease of rooting can be accomplished but we all know it won't happen, on purpose anyway. The reason it isn't easier to root now is simply because they make it that way on purpose. If they give you an easy way to remove Sprint's crapware, Sprint will not be too pleased.

Upvote 0
I think all of these are within reach except the 3D thing. This would either require a ton of work by HTC to change android or a ton of work by Google to do the same (change android and make it compatible for 3D screens). I suppose it COULD work for games and such, but I just don;t see this happening at all, any time soon. Ease of rooting can be accomplished but we all know it won't happen, on purpose anyway. The reason it isn't easier to root now is simply because they make it that way on purpose. If they give you an easy way to remove Sprint's crapware, Sprint will not be too pleased.
HTC is rumored to be announcing a new Android phone with a 4 inch 3D screen (no glasses required) at MWC this year...

Does it go into speakerphone mode if you are lying on your side in bed talking on the phone?
No. It worked great.

Upvote 0

This, I agree with the poster you were responding too but I want a bigger screen on the Evo 2, period. If its just 4.5", I'll go for it but I really hope they don't keep it the same size.

Upvote 0

Well in this thread:
http://androidforums.com/sprint/256118-any-idea-what-could-about.html

The hot rumor seems to be that Sprint's February 7th announcement is going to be a new HTC Android phone with 3D display and 3D cameras.

I am really wanting to see some of those docking stations and desktop OS mode that the Atrix showed off at CES too.

Upvote 0
Here's a link to a link with the first 3D post, but scroll down for the source and context of the 3D camera. I think that guy might've made that rumor up. ;) :)

http://androidforums.com/android-ne...ebruary-7th-what-ll-they-ann.html#post2132215

Blaine was actually suppose to perform at CES until Sprint held back on a hunch Apple would ruin the show, good thinking because that's exactly what happened. That's mainly the reason why Sprint's CES presentation was so lacking.

Upvote 0
Well if it is true, the big thing to me is the 3D cameras. It will be nice to make 3D home videos. The screen being 3D just means I have an accurate viewfinder.

I'm sure it would also have to output 3D video if you connect it to a 3D tv.

I'd still rather have the docks, remote, and webtop mode from that Atrix though. Hopefully we get all of that stuff too.

In my opinion it wasn't Apple who stole the show at CES, it was Motorola with that Atrix.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones