• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What made you choose Eris over Droid?

Call me old school, but the fact that there are actual tactile send and end buttons was really appealing, among other things. Still not sold on the touchscreen only thing, minus the slide out micro keyboard. I have seen numerous posts in the droid forums about problems doing mundane things like the inability to end calls. I love my eris.

Upvote 0
my wife was bought the droid for work. i had *cough* t-mobile we cancelled my contract with out the etf and i got the eris for free. now its buy one droid get one free, then it was buy a droid get eris for free. i'm happy with it. the droid kinda is a piece of poop. i do like it but for OS reasons the phone seems to be almost breaking from the physical keyboard sliding out.

Upvote 0
For several years I have been a "die hard" motorola buyer. I have always been happy with the quality of the moto products. I was leaning very much towards the droid, but....
The Eris is a better size for my needs, the price was right, and the Sense UI was just "easier" to me.
While I have only just started with my Eris, I have been thrilled! Battery life worries me a little, but, I have been reading some of the tips on the forum for optimizing battery life, so I think it will all be good.

Upvote 0
When I first heard about Android, I got excited about the prospect of an open platform on Verizon. However, I never owned a smart phone or a touch phone because I hated how big phones had become.

When I finally saw the Droid, I was so disappointed. It's so fookin' ugly! I told everyone how sad I was and most disagreed with me. After playing with a friend's Droid, I realized I loved the software, so I went to check out the store and found the Eris to be exactly the size and design I wanted. I knew the software wasn't the same, but I honestly thought the 2.0 update would be out within a few weeks. Had I known back in November that I would still be waiting on the eve of march. I probably would have settled for the Droid or just waited and remained happy with my Nokia Twist.

I hate it when people refer to the Eris as a budget android phone. The cheaper price had nothing to do with my decision to get it over the Droid, okay!? The Tattoo is a budget android phone.

Upvote 0
I went into the Verizon store with every intention of buying the Droid the week of it's release. As soon as I picked it up it just felt like a brick that would not fit in my pocket well and snag as I pulled it out. Then I kicked out the keyboard and had flashbacks of the two Moto Razr's I purchased just to have the hinge mechanism fail in under three months and the Q that crashed daily(WinMO or not it sucked). After a month of anticipation was destroyed I looked over and saw the Eris. Just ten minutes later I was purchasing three of them and I have to say it was the best impulse buy I have ever made. That is until the buy one get one promo started.:D

Upvote 0
The droid was way too huge and ugly. The interface wasn't fun, and I am a huge fan of widgets, so sense was a must. The Eris is light, has a great shape, and was a massive upgrade from my BB storm, which for some reason didn't seem all that different from the Droid (Obviously I see the difference, but as far as size and UI are concerned... yuck). Anyway, this is the only phone that I have ever used that I would actually say either compares to or surpasses the iPhone (Believe me... I am a huge Apple fanboy, and even though I have never owned an iPhone, before the Eris I knew it was miles ahead of any smartphone). Anyway... this is quite a ramblepost, so I'll end it by saying that the Eris is elegant, fast (for the most part) and has the most intuitive interface I have ever seen. Thanks HTC :D.

Upvote 0
I've never owned a smart phone until now, and hate AT&T and their crappy service, as well as the Apple brand price premium. When I went to the store to check out new smartphones and make a decision, I went expecting to buy a Droid. Once I got there and held them in my hands though, the Eris won me over. Before any reviews had come out, I simply felt the Motorola Droid keyboard felt chintzy and cheap, and the phone was a brick. I carry my phone in my pocket all the time, and the Droid would have been too damn big.

The Eris won because of size and the touch screen only design. I don't need a touch screen and a keyboard both. Just one or the other. If the Droid hadn't come with that crapy slide out keyboard, I'd probably be typing this from it instead of my Eris.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones