• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Who's switching to the S3?

I think you'll find it to be split. IMO, half of the people here will get the SGS3 because it's what the Nexus should have been, hardware-wise, and the other half will skip a Samsung altogether on their next phone because the radios suck so bad.

^^^The above is only a guess based on posts that I've read and can swing in either direction in any given moment.

Reactions: Blue218
Upvote 0
Have had a GN since release day last December, and after 5 different replacement phones including a new one out of the box, I have decided the Galaxy Nexus radios suck. It is simply not ready for prime time as a 4G phone. In fact, I think of it as a 3G phone in terms of speed and its ability to acquire and keep a 4G signal, even if sitting next to a 4G tower.

My question is.... any word on the VZW S III radios yet? For me, it would be a waste of money to even consider it if the radio situation has not been improved. I am hoping they have been improved significantly.

Upvote 0
I agree on the radio on the Nexus...they suck really bad...horrible at best. I like the specs on the S3, but if the radio has not been improved then I'm completely writing Samsung off. If Motorola had a phone with a screen as big as he Nexus, then I would not even be having this discussion.

The Nexus is my first Samsung phone and I have not been impressed. Low ringer speaker volume, horrible battery, and crappy radio reception. This thing is still a phone first and if you can't use he phone it's kind of pointless no matter how much you can customize it.

Upvote 0
I agree on the radio on the Nexus...they suck really bad...horrible at best. I like the specs on the S3, but if the radio has not been improved then I'm completely writing Samsung off. If Motorola had a phone with a screen as big as he Nexus, then I would not even be having this discussion.

The Nexus is my first Samsung phone and I have not been impressed. Low ringer speaker volume, horrible battery, and crappy radio reception. This thing is still a phone first and if you can't use he phone it's kind of pointless no matter how much you can customize it.

I disagree. Thanks to text, email and IM. I don't use the phone that much and this is my home phone as well.

It has its problems but once jelly beam comes, I'll decide if the problems are too big for me.

Upvote 0
Wow, all these complaints about Gnex makes me wonder why i even bought this phone. Oh yeah that's right, cause it was something anew. Anyways i may stay withit cause it's new for me. Plus, i bought accessories for it. Too much dinero spent. I'll leave the reviews to the people that have the money to buy the sg3. And yes i am noticing that my 4g is, WAIT!!!! WE GOT 4G????

Upvote 0
I'm trying to get my daughter to get the SIII instead of the apple phone. That way I could see how that phone would compare to my Gnex and the Razr my wife has. I personally am happy with my Gnex. My wife has the Razr and just got ICS today and with 4G just getting to my area (today is the 1st I've noticed it) her phone nor mine can keep a 4G signal in the house. So for what it's worth I don't feel that the radios in the Razr are that much better than the Gnex. My dbm (3G) reading in the house is 93 (could be lower or higher as it is a rounded #) and hers is 82.

Upvote 0
I disagree. Thanks to text, email and IM. I don't use the phone that much and this is my home phone as well.

It has its problems but once jelly beam comes, I'll decide if the problems are too big for me.

I'm going to throw JB on mine when it gets stable enough (no more boot loops and bricks from the GSM port) and see how if performs. I really don't see JB helping battery life or phone reception much...but I will wait and see.

Switching. Battery life is the main issue with me, otherwise I'd probably stay with the Nexus. But it can't even get close to my old rooted Thunderbolt(non-4g area), and that is sad.

Wow! If your Thunderbolt got better battery life than the Nexus that's sad :D My sister had a Thunderbolt and it got horrible battery life and then even worse on 4G.

I really wished Motorola had a phone out with a 4.7 or 4.8 inch screen. Motorola seems to have the radio's in their phones near perfect. But I can't go backwards to say a Razr Maxx...screen is to small for me. :)

The most important thing on my smartphone is the phone. I got to have the phone working and reception to receive and make calls. I miss so many calls on my Nexus that go straight to voice mail and never ring. It drops a lot of calls as well. All the other gadgets on there are nice, but number one, got to have phone working.

Upvote 0
Wow! If your Thunderbolt got better battery life than the Nexus that's sad :D My sister had a Thunderbolt and it got horrible battery life and then even worse on 4G.
Tbolt was bad, but I stuck a Rezound battery in it. Then the thing can handle some serious undervolting, which my gnex cannot. Combine the two and it blows my gnex away. Standby time, gnex is an absolute beast. Screen-on time, gnex is pretty horrible.

Upvote 0
Have had a GN since release day last December, and after 5 different replacement phones including a new one out of the box, I have decided the Galaxy Nexus radios suck. It is simply not ready for prime time as a 4G phone. In fact, I think of it as a 3G phone in terms of speed and its ability to acquire and keep a 4G signal, even if sitting next to a 4G tower.

My question is.... any word on the VZW S III radios yet? For me, it would be a waste of money to even consider it if the radio situation has not been improved. I am hoping they have been improved significantly.

The irony here is that I get better 4G signal in some areas than I do 3G.

I must have a trollolo GN.

Upvote 0
I feel like I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place here on multiple fronts.

I am not happy with the Galaxy Nexus. I've been fair, and given it plenty of time to evaluate objectively. Hasn't just been terrible radios either. Random reboots, mysterious power drain on idle, etc etc. Great concept with terrible execution and just unacceptable delivery.

So what does that leave me? I only got the thing in December. The G-Nex is the first and only Samsung phone I've had and to put it mildly it has put a big ding in my confidence in their hardware. Furthermore I've never paid full retail for a phone (I like to use my upgrades) and I'd hate to already have to drop $650 full retail on a Razr Maxx or whatever.. at least with Motorola I was pretty happy with the original Droid X, though the durability on the original Razr dumbphone was atrocious.

Then there's Windows Phone 8 on the horizon. I definitely intend on getting the Surface as my go-to for a tablet and "light" creative endeavors. At that point I'll have Windows at work, at home on my high performance laptop, and on the Surface for travel. At that point is it worth going all in and having Windows for my phone as well, so I have the same platform on all my devices?

Upvote 0
Just curious, who's leaving the GNex for the S3?

No, why would I?

The GN is the best phone I've ever owned.

The SIII to me just looks cheap and I couldn't go back to a physical home button, the one on the SII was awful and spoiled the user experience.

JB on the way too, it seems a no brainer to stick to the GN.

Upvote 0
I'm in the Nexus, but ordered the Galaxy SIII. I hear that it had a Qualcomm radio similar to what Motorola uses, so im going for improved reception.

In the bar I frequent, I get no reception but the guys with Motto phones are zipping around on the web and making calls. Im the laughing point of the bar when I have to get outside and stand in the parking lot to make a call or text my wife. My phone is the center of many jokes. :mad:

Upvote 0
I'm in the Nexus, but ordered the Galaxy SIII. I hear that it had a Qualcomm radio similar to what Motorola uses, so im going for improved reception.

In the bar I frequent, I get no reception but the guys with Motto phones are zipping around on the web and making calls. Im the laughing point of the bar when I have to get outside and stand in the parking lot to make a call or text my wife. My phone is the center of many jokes. :mad:

Your phone hasn't been the center of a joke until its been beaten out by a tmobile phone :(

Upvote 0
I'm seriously thinking about it for an upgrade for me and my wife......but I do not trust samsung and verizon. I actually emailed samsung asking if the S3 reception would be better than my GNX and also if the one way mute was solved they replied with a form letter:

Thank you for your inquiry. We do apologize for the inconvenience that these might have caused you. We understand that your phone has a poor reception.

Reception problems can be linked to a number of factors. It may be a building that tends to block the signal due to the nature of its structure. It may also be that the strength of the signal may be particularly weak in that specific area.

Geographic conditions, internal software and tower placement play a significant role in how well the phone grabs and maintains a signal. If you feel there are more than just the above factors at work then please call Samsung Customer Support at 1-888-987-4357 for troubleshooting to help determine if the handset should be sent in for repair/service.

You might also contact your Service Provider to verify that you are within their service area.

Verizon's Customer support 1-800-922-0204.

Thank you for your continued interest in Samsung products.

Sincerely,

Mark
Technical Support

Upvote 0
the s3 looks sexy, but i will be sticking with the nexus, especially now that the apple injunction could make it a limited edition!:D

i like not having physical buttons and my phone has been near flawless

i don't know if it's where i live or i got one of the few phones made right, but the complaints i've had have been minor and fixable

Upvote 0
No, why would I?

The GN is the best phone I've ever owned.

The SIII to me just looks cheap and I couldn't go back to a physical home button, the one on the SII was awful and spoiled the user experience.

JB on the way too, it seems a no brainer to stick to the GN.

I'm right there with you. And I have great 4G reception, even throughout Walmart. If there was something significantly better, I might try it. Otherwise I'm quite happy.

Upvote 0
I'm seriously thinking about it for an upgrade for me and my wife......but I do not trust samsung and verizon. I actually emailed samsung asking if the S3 reception would be better than my GNX and also if the one way mute was solved they replied with a form letter:

Thank you for your inquiry. We do apologize for the inconvenience that these might have caused you. We understand that your phone has a poor reception.

Reception problems can be linked to a number of factors. It may be a building that tends to block the signal due to the nature of its structure. It may also be that the strength of the signal may be particularly weak in that specific area.

Geographic conditions, internal software and tower placement play a significant role in how well the phone grabs and maintains a signal. If you feel there are more than just the above factors at work then please call Samsung Customer Support at 1-888-987-4357 for troubleshooting to help determine if the handset should be sent in for repair/service.

You might also contact your Service Provider to verify that you are within their service area.

Verizon's Customer support 1-800-922-0204.

Thank you for your continued interest in Samsung products.

Sincerely,

Mark
Technical Support

They always make it something other than what it truly is. I can use my GNex in the same exact locations that I did my Droid X and 75% of the time I get no signal bars and dropped calls constantly with my GNex and never did with my Droid X. I guess VZW dug up their tower (yes, we have one single tower that serves our whole county) and moved it behind some buildings or something so I would get worse signal on my GNex than I did on my Droid X.

Simply put, Samsung is kind of like Apple, they will never admit there was/is a problem with their hardware. Why did so many people post about the bad reception when they got the GNex. Remember how the forums were full of those posts? Because the GNex reception/radio sucks!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones