• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Wi-Fi Booster for Android tablet

Motorhomer

Jun 12, 2011
Lancashire, England
I'm currently using a Samsung Galaxy S2 and I also use a Samsung Netbook as I find it much easier using a proper keyboard for such functions as accessing bank accounts.

My netbook is playing up and I'm considering a decent-sized Android tablet. Using my netbook I have a wi-fi booster, which is pretty essential for me. I'ts one of those aerial thingys that plugs into a USB port.

Is there such a booster available for Android Tablets and do tablets have a socket to plug in an external device?

Thanks.

PS Can I use apps that I've bought for my SII on a tablet, or are they only licensed for one device?

I'm currently using a Samsung Galaxy S2 and I also use a Samsung Netbook as I find it much easier using a proper keyboard for such functions as accessing bank accounts.

My netbook is playing up and I'm considering a decent-sized Android tablet. Using my netbook I have a wi-fi booster, which is pretty essential for me. I'ts one of those aerial thingys that plugs into a USB port.

Is there such a booster available for Android Tablets and do tablets have a socket to plug in an external device?

Thanks.

PS Can I use apps that I've bought for my SII on a tablet, or are they only licensed for one device?

I don't thing there is a booster for Android. If you can get your hands on an old router, you can hack a custom OS on it that will turn it into a repeater. I did it in my house to get coverage in my back yard and it only took about an hour. As far as your apps, they are tied to your gmail account, so if they are compatible with the tablet they will be available for you to install.

Reactions: Motorhomer
Upvote 0
Thank you for the above. My problem isn't at home but when touring Europe in my motorhome. Campsites often have wi-fi but it can be weak or, in some cases, only in the vicinity of the reception office.

Using my booster I invariably get a good reception on my netbook and I can also park close to a MacDonald's and pick up their free wi-fi as well.

I do find it odd that no one has made an aerial-type booster for Android tablets as they would really extend the wi-fi range.

And before anyone tells me; yes, I know I can tether my SII but the costs of data download in foreign countries is very high, hence my preference for wi-fi.

If I do buy a tablet eventually It's nice to know that some apps that I've bought may work on it.

Thanks for that.

Upvote 0
I guess you could still use a hacked router as a repeater, you just may need to configure the connection setting for each WIFI connection. Probably not a big deal for campgrounds (and they usually have bad coverage on this side of the pond too:() as it only takes a few seconds to do. Maybe not productive for the McDonald's route though.

As to how it works, essentially, if it could pick up the signal (no matter how weak) it would rebroadcast it in the area of the router. What you would have to configure as you move from access point to access point would be the SSID and encryption key (if used). This would provide stronger signal for all of your Wi-Fi devices and possible eliminate the need for individual signal boosters for each device.

Upvote 0
I guess you could still use a hacked router as a repeater, you just may need to configure the connection setting for each WIFI connection. Probably not a big deal for campgrounds (and they usually have bad coverage on this side of the pond too:() as it only takes a few seconds to do. Maybe not productive for the McDonald's route though.

As to how it works, essentially, if it could pick up the signal (no matter how weak) it would rebroadcast it in the area of the router. What you would have to configure as you move from access point to access point would be the SSID and encryption key (if used). This would provide stronger signal for all of your Wi-Fi devices and possible eliminate the need for individual signal boosters for each device.

Thanks but it's far too complicated! I'll stick with a Windows netbook, for which there are many boosters available at quite low prices. I know it works and I'm just sorry that this gap hasn't been plugged for Android tablets. Seems to me to be obvious that tablet users will suffer the same problem of poor wi-fi strength.

Perhaps one day they'll enable this facility? All it needs is the right software and a USB socket, or does it?

Upvote 0
What you would have to configure as you move from access point to access point would be the SSID and encryption key (if used).
g.php

Upvote 0
Why wouldn't a plug-and-play USB signal booster work on an adroid tablet? I was looking for a bluetooth keyboard for my android tab, but didnt want to fork over the cash for one. I soon found that a PC keyboard worked fine. All I had to do was plug the USB dongle into the USB port on my tablet. I am not very keen on the subject, but would like to know some more iinfor on the matter so I can boost my wi-fi reception. Thanks!

Upvote 0
to bad you couldn't just use a USB WiFi dongle instead or together, I just got one of these in the mail today.

And soon discovered there is about 20 people close by with WiFi setup, not 2 ;) comes with a 3ft extension cord to get it up high instead of just plugged right into USB port on PC.

TP-LINK TL-WN722N Wireless Adapter High Gain
Newegg.com - TP-LINK TL-WN722N Wireless Adapter High Gain IEEE 802.11b/g/n USB 2.0 Up to 150Mbps Wireless Data Rates Support 64/128 bit WEP, WPA-PSK/WPA2-PSK, Wireless MAC Filtering
99622313-260x260-0-0_TP+Link+TP+LINK+TL+WN722N+150M+Wireless+Lite+N+Hig.jpg

Upvote 0
USB hardware requires support in the Android kernel. It's not there for wireless adapters right now but it may well come in time.

Btw, just so there's no doubt:

I [...] soon discovered there is about 20 people close by with WiFi setup, not 2 ;)

Unauthorised access to private networks, even if unsecured, is illegal in many jurisdictions. There's a big (and legally-established) difference between "public" and "unsecured private" wireless networks. Android Forums does not condone or encourage such action.

Upvote 0
I was talking about how well it picks up signals, not my fault everyone with Uverse has a secured WiFi set up running. Uverse uses the term 2wire in all their connections.

We have free public WiFi access from the senior center, and VFW now that I got decent signal.

you should know all this, as you've posted in my sat dish thread.
http://androidforums.com/computers/...at-dish-focus-n-pick-up-free-wifi-better.html

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones