• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Wi-Fi flakiness

Okay I am having a major problem with my Wifi. I can successfully connect to a Wifi network, but whenever I am connected, all my data stops working. In other words, no data passes through when I am connected to a Wifi network. As soon as I turn Wifi off and use my Verizon data services, everything works again.

I haven't changed any settings, the phone has been this way since I bought it and I have tried restarting several times now (including battery pull, even though only BBs really need that).

What can I do?

Upvote 0
I haven't been able to get wifi to work. I can start to log on then it make my router lock up and i have to unplug it to get it working again. my 3 computers loose all internet connection.
Keep us posted on what you find out.

+1 Having similar problem with my home network. Used to work flawless until I added my Droid's MAC to it. Now I have to unplug and restart modem and router daily. :thinking:

Upvote 0
Okay I am having a major problem with my Wifi. I can successfully connect to a Wifi network, but whenever I am connected, all my data stops working. In other words, no data passes through when I am connected to a Wifi network. As soon as I turn Wifi off and use my Verizon data services, everything works again.

I haven't changed any settings, the phone has been this way since I bought it and I have tried restarting several times now (including battery pull, even though only BBs really need that).

What can I do?

I was having the same exact problem using WPA2+AES with a 64 character randomly generated password. I changed the password to a shorter (able to be remembered) password, and it now seems to work fine.

Upvote 0
I was having the same exact problem using WPA2+AES with a 64 character randomly generated password. I changed the password to a shorter (able to be remembered) password, and it now seems to work fine.

This is how mine is setup as well with no issues. Using a D-Link DIR-655 router. Get fast speeds all around the house. Only issue is it not seeing the router after turning off and back on. Doesn't remember the connection. Have to go back in and reconnect it. Otherwise works great.

Upvote 0
Is anyone using wi-fi without issues?

One thing that cemented my decision to go to the DROID was with our launch kit. I broke past the startup screen (device was not activated yet), found the store's demo mifi, and got speeds faster than the in-store internet connection! I don't plan to use it much unless I need to check something while on a call, so not a deal breaker for me. I'
I'm just glad to know that when I need it, it will blow the doors off anything else I have found so far!

Upvote 0
I'm having issues too with a strong wifi router near me, but my droid wants to connect to another that is near the parking lot. I think when I pull up in the morning, it grabs that one, and stays with it even though there is a strong one right here.

I've also noticed that wifi is not alway "available" even when I know that there are several APs nearby. Weirdness.

Upvote 0
Mine works sometimes at home (non-secure wirless linksys... will grab the model no. when I get the chance) but not at all when I am at work (secure network).
At work I can put in the password and it will connect but nothing connects. I like to listen to pandora on wifi since the signal is great throughout the shop and this is a major blow for me :(
Still can't bring myself to go to another shitty (my opinion) verizon phone though. lol

Upvote 0

Ok so I was mistaken. It was not the long password causing issues. The problem was with AES encryption. I changed my router to use TKIP instead and now it works flawlessly. I know not everyone can do this (work, school) but for those who can, this is the workaround for now.

Upvote 0
After numerous issues with wifi, I just came across this post did the switch to TKIP and instantly had wifi success again. Hopefully TKIP is the long term fix.

Ok so I was mistaken. It was not the long password causing issues. The problem was with AES encryption. I changed my router to use TKIP instead and now it works flawlessly. I know not everyone can do this (work, school) but for those who can, this is the workaround for now.

Upvote 0
I don't think my router allows for a switch to TKIP. Am I wrong? Do all routers have this option and I'm simply missing it?
Not sure if every router has this option or not. Check here to see if your router is supported by DD-WRT. If it is, then try flashing it.

DD-WRT is an open source router firmware that runs on lots of different routers and gives you many more options than the stock firmware. It's basically Linux for your router. You can do pretty anything with it.

If DD-WRT doesn't work for you, then you can also try one of these other 3rd party firmwares. I haven't used any of them other than DD-WRT myself, but I can tell you that OpenWRT and Tomato are the most popular behind DD-WRT.

List of wireless router firmware projects - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Upvote 0
I don't think my router allows for a switch to TKIP. Am I wrong? Do all routers have this option and I'm simply missing it?

It would be in the area for what type of security you want the router to use.

Most other wireless devices seem to work fine after the switch although one ubuntu netbook needed to have the network set up again. Otherwise, other computers are working fine.

Upvote 0
IMG_3304.jpg

Upvote 0
Anyone find a resolution for this? I'm now on an Eris and it has just started happening. I got one, then a little bit later another. It's happened 3x in the past 15 minutes. :(

I have a netbook and iPod touch that worked fine on my WRT54G running DDWRT. They stumble on TKIP w/ a fairly simple password as well.

Upvote 0
I've been having similar issues. A number of times I have had to reboot my D-Link DIR-625, each time the droid problem goes away. What happens is that the droid refuses to connect to my WPA2 personal local wifi network. There is also a local open network that it won't connect to either during this time. It seems like the droid gets confused once this problem occurs. The WiFi status says 'unsuccessful' which almost seems as if the wifi driver on the droid is getting all mixed up. Trying to reboot the phone or even a battery pull didn't help. It must be getting something mixed up with the D-Link. Perhaps it is AES vs TKIP, unfortunately, my D-Link doesn't let me choose these (I'm sure it can offer TKIP but it probably offers AES first and the droid *thinks* it can speak AES but apparently not)

It certainly seems like this is a software issue since this thread also mentions folks having issues on other handsets other than the droid. Hopefully it will get sorted out. It would be nice if the droid wireless settings could let you force TKIP vs AES.

-Fred

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones