• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Wifi & Hotspotting

I don't know a ton about WiFi and Hotspotting etc., but I know enough where I setup my home router and enabled my phone to connect to it using the wifi signal whenever I am home, so I understand that much.

I'm aware that you can buy the addon from boost to make your phone a hotspot and all that, and I don't know if what I'm about to ask is possible or not, but my question is:

Just like I use Team Viewer to connect to my pc from anywhere, is it possible to make my phone connect to my Home router's wifi signal from anywhere?

I don't know a ton about WiFi and Hotspotting etc., but I know enough where I setup my home router and enabled my phone to connect to it using the wifi signal whenever I am home, so I understand that much.

I'm aware that you can buy the addon from boost to make your phone a hotspot and all that, and I don't know if what I'm about to ask is possible or not, but my question is:

Just like I use Team Viewer to connect to my pc from anywhere, is it possible to make my phone connect to my Home router's wifi signal from anywhere?

Sure. Just take your router anywhere, then connect.

:D

Kidding aside, is this what you have in mind?:

Linksys SMART Wi-Fi - Router Management - Linksys Smart Wi-fi App - Android - formerly Cisco Connect Cloud

Upvote 0
No, that app seems to do almost what team viewer already does, I dont want to connect just to check things and admin everyone, I want to know just what I asked, is it possible to: make my phone connect to my Home router's wifi signal from anywhere so that I will be connected to that wifi signal all the time, in other words, it would make my home routers wifi signal "portable", kind of...
sorry, not sure how much clearer i can ask the question, but I have no idea if that is something that is possible at all, or if it can be done, does that sort of Technology even exist, etc.,... I would think it is possible, if so how? if not then, .. ok. lol

Reactions: Frisco
Upvote 0
What you are asking is not that clear !!

You can't have YOUR routers WiFi signal EVERYWHERE, since your router only transmits the signal about 100 - 150 feet !! Now you can use TEamViewer or any other remote control program to connect to your router from everywhere, but it depends on what connection you are using if it is slow or fast..... What I mean is, if you can use an open WiFi, like McDonalds provide, or use your businesses WiFi access, things should be pretty fast, however, if you need to use your phones data connection via 3G ( or 4G ), you might experience a slowdown.

Also, you need to have your home computer ALWAYS use the same IP ( static IP, not DHCP ) and you need to have this static IP from your PC forwarded in your router ( IP forwarding )..... Once you have done all this, you can go to a website like www.whatismyip.com and get your actual IP..... This IP you would use in TeamViewer or any other remote control program to "connect" to your Home PC..... If your home PC is correctly setup, you should then get a "user name / password" prompt to connect !!!

What Boost is offering as a WiFi Hotspot, you can do already.... it's called "tethering", basically using your phones data connection to connect a laptop or a tablet and use your phone as a modem......

Hope this helps !

Reactions: Frisco
Upvote 0
OK I'm confused... But it does seem to me that they are asking to be able to use their WiFi router's signal from everywhere. Not realizing that the router and phone have a limited range and simply can not be modified etc., in order to reach each other from anywhere. In fact your lucky if you can connect when in your neighbors house.

But they came here. they asked, and now they know... And after all, isn't that what "we" are all here for?

Upvote 0
I think the tethering add on is only for certain devices

Negative. The Prevail, even though it actually doesn't come with a built in hot-spot, can be modified to broadcast as a hot-spot. Most other smartphones can also be modified to act as a hot-spot. ;)

I use WiFi tether. There are several threads in this section on the subject so I'm not going to elaborate. Just search and thou shalt find. :D

Upvote 0
Ahhhh, looks like your asking if you can create an SSH tunnel to your router so you can actually access your router and use your secure connection wherever you're at.

There's an app on Play called SSH Tunnel that should allow you to do what you want. It's a rather complicated process though which involves using Puttygen to get the keys. You also need to have a decent knowledge of how to set up a router. There are tutorials on the internet that will explain how to do this.

I've got a buddy who does this on his Marquee. If the Marquee will allow it, no reason the Prevail won't.

I was actually referring specifically to the paid "feature." I know about the apps

You would be surprised what some phones have hidden. The Prevail doesn't have this feature but the Marquee and the HTC One SV does. Since the Sprint version offered the hot-spot feature, the Boost version has it also. You just have to go into the hidden settings to activate it.

As for the Prevail, the only way to use it as a hot-spot are with 3rd party apps from Play. Sad but true. At least the option is there for people who want to use it.:)

Reactions: andrewking
Upvote 0
Ahhhh, looks like your asking if you can create an SSH tunnel to your router so you can actually access your router and use your secure connection wherever you're at.

There's an app on Play called SSH Tunnel that should allow you to do what you want. It's a rather complicated process though which involves using Puttygen to get the keys. You also need to have a decent knowledge of how to set up a router. There are tutorials on the internet that will explain how to do this.

I've got a buddy who does this on his Marquee. If the Marquee will allow it, no reason the Prevail won't.

Sounds pretty cool! What if you have no service on your phone then how would you connect to it? I think when he is home he has bad service or none and when on wifi things work great. I think he wants to connect to it somehow when away in bad areas, I might be wrong though on what he means.

Upvote 0
Sounds pretty cool! What if you have no service on your phone then how would you connect to it? I think when he is home he has bad service or none and when on wifi things work great. I think he wants to connect to it somehow when away in bad areas, I might be wrong though on what he means.

What I'm talking about involves connecting to your router through a public wifi such as McDonald's, Starbucks, etc. That way you are assured a secure connection through an ssh tunnel. Pretty complicated.

Maybe not what he's talking about but I thought I'd throw that out there. :thumbup:

Upvote 0
What I'm talking about involves connecting to your router through a public wifi such as McDonald's, Starbucks, etc. That way you are assured a secure connection through an ssh tunnel. Pretty complicated.

Maybe not what he's talking about but I thought I'd throw that out there. :thumbup:

That does sound cool. Would be more secure for sure!:D

Upvote 0
Yup. I've got a buddy of mine that uses it. I tried with my Marquee but for some reason I just couldn't get it to connect.

I haven't tried it with my HTC One SV yet though. To busy testing this new JellyBean that I just flashed. :D. Bye bye ICS!

I never really use any public wifi, service here is pretty good just about everywhere. Good luck with the new phone, sounds great.:D

Reactions: wetbiker7
Upvote 0
Since the Sprint version offered the hot-spot feature, the Boost version has it also. You just have to go into the hidden settings to activate it.,,,,,,,, How??? i have a rooted
SPH-M820-BST 2.3.6 S:M820.07 x.FF19 CTmod 3.80/2.6.35.14-PREVL-KK-2.5 i like the sd-ext cuz int. is so small but would like to know bout hot spot or tethering and if a better rom or kernel for this phone is out there...... who can i talk to bout SSM feature

Upvote 0
Since the Sprint version offered the hot-spot feature, the Boost version has it also. You just have to go into the hidden settings to activate it.,,,,,,,, How??? i have a rooted
SPH-M820-BST 2.3.6 S:M820.07 x.FF19 CTmod 3.80/2.6.35.14-PREVL-KK-2.5 i like the sd-ext cuz int. is so small but would like to know bout hot spot or tethering and if a better rom or kernel for this phone is out there...... who can i talk to bout SSM feature

i have a rooted
Try posting your questions as a new thread instead of having them in a thread that is not the topic of your questions.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones