• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help WiFi issue after ICS upgrade

Hello to all,

This is my first post on this forum, and it is also my first smartphone, so I apologize if I show a lack of knowledge about the subject. I recently upgraded my phone to ICS via Samsung Kies. Judging from the amount of problems that people seem to be having, I am relatively glad I am not suffering from the same issues.

I am able to connect my phone to my router without any issues. However, if I leave the phone on sleep for a period of 30 or more minutes, the phone will seemingly loose connection to the internet. It still says that it is connected to WiFi, but the green up arrow by the WiFi symbol stays green, and the red down arrow does not light up. To solve this problem, I have to turn off WiFi and turn it back on.

This problem is intermittent, and it doesn't always happen. I do have my phone to always stay connected to WiFi when it is asleep. My network is secured with WPA - PSK. It only appears to happen at my home network; as it works fine at my unsecured Optimum WiFi hotspot.

Any help for a newbie would be much appreciated!!

Mike

after the ics upgrade i have some problems with networking coming out of sleep. i see it on both wifi and 4g and it is intermittent. it looks like it is connected but my browser and apps cannot connect to the internet. toggling wifi when i cant connect on wifi will cure it and when 4g doesn't recieve airplane mode toggle or soft reset cures it. i think it might be due to not coming gracefully out of juicedefender though.

Reactions: Mikesuper26
Upvote 0
That's odd, my only suggestions would be to do a factory reset on your phone. Might want to switch from DHCP to Static IP it's in your settings on the phone.
Thanks for the reply, I did change it to Static IP but it had no effect. My only concern with factory reset is I would loose a lot of my personalization settings on my phone.

after the ics upgrade i have some problems with networking coming out of sleep. i see it on both wifi and 4g and it is intermittent. it looks like it is connected but my browser and apps cannot connect to the internet. toggling wifi when i cant connect on wifi will cure it and when 4g doesn't recieve airplane mode toggle or soft reset cures it. i think it might be due to not coming gracefully out of juicedefender though.
Our issues seem to be very similar, except I have not yet had any problems on 4G, only WiFi. Excuse my lack of knowledge, but what is juicedefender?

Upvote 0
JuiceDefender is a battery saving app for the phone. It is free and actually works pretty good (i am not sure this is the cause of my problems though). I only lose about 10-15% battery on an idle phone overnight (8hrs) with juicedefender.

I think part of what it does is shuts down the radios to save battery life. When i unlock the phone after some idle period (JD shuts down the radios to save battery), the radios should come back to life and give me some connectivity. This is where my problem lies. It says it is connected but isn't. I should connect to my wifi or 4g depending where i am at however sometimes i get no connectivity.

i just now deleted juicedefender off the phone to see if that has anything to do with it.

I think there are some new power saving options in ICS. I can see settings/powersaving i have two options are are not checked (system power saving and custom power saving). i still have them unchecked after deleting juicedefender.

I'll try to pay attention to see how the phone reacts when coming out of a locked state.

Upvote 0
Let me know - I don't have Juice Defender so that wouldn't be the cause of my problem. What is very odd is that it seems to only happen on my home network after coming out of sleep. I connect to at least one or two different networks a day and I do not have this problem. I can try a factory reset but I have a strong feeling it has something to do with the network.

Reactions: ad2435
Upvote 0
Mikesuper26 - I have the same issue (I think). After upgrade to ICS, I get intermittent internet browser connectivity (any browser by the way) but Apps still connect ok and wifi shows connected all the time.

Very frustrating. Fine and dandy on my home wifi but a problem on the work router. I've checked security settings and all seems fine.

I flashed a copy of Gingerbread and all was well in the world then did some research and was told you need to factory reset (and clear cache partition), install ICS via Kies, factory reset again(!) and all should be well. And guess what.....

It wasn't. :( I have no power saving apps installed and we seem to have a different issue to the one everyone's talking about. I really don't think it's wifi related as it seems to affect web traffic (like I said, my apps work fine - Facebook, BBC News, etc) when the browser says "web page not available".

I'll keep on trying and report back here if I find anything but we might have to wait till Jellybean release. Roll on September (or more like November after the network operators have messed with it). :)

Good luck and let me know if you hear anything.

Reactions: Mikesuper26
Upvote 0
Mike,
Did you ever find a solution to this issue?

I have the exact same issue as well. Phone was fine pre-ICS. No router changes. Only seem to have intermittent connection issues at home and wifi appears connected but it isn't. I've tested it when it is in a bad state and I can't even ping the router so I believe the wifi radio is stuck in an off state. Running Tomato 1.28 on my Linksys WRT54GL. Have reset the phone to factory settings and still have issues. Currently on FI27 update.

Hoping you solved it! I am stumped!

Upvote 0
I was having Wi-Fi issues after the ICS update as described above. The phone would connect to Wi-Fi but after being idle for a while it would still appear to be connected but the Wi-Fi would not work. Because the phone thinks it is connected to Wi-Fi it stops doing data transfers over 3G as well. I resolved my Wi-Fi issues by accident when I installed the "Spare Phone" app. It is an app that allows you to make free calls over Wi-Fi with your Google voice number. The app includes a "CPU Sleep" option. If I keep that option turned off my Wi-Fi stays connected.

Upvote 0
I was having Wi-Fi issues after the ICS update as described above. The phone would connect to Wi-Fi but after being idle for a while it would still appear to be connected but the Wi-Fi would not work. Because the phone thinks it is connected to Wi-Fi it stops doing data transfers over 3G as well. I resolved my Wi-Fi issues by accident when I installed the "Spare Phone" app. It is an app that allows you to make free calls over Wi-Fi with your Google voice number. The app includes a "CPU Sleep" option. If I keep that option turned off my Wi-Fi stays connected.

Thanks for the advice. I'm currently trying out the app and it does seem to help but I have still experienced the wifi issue even with the app on. Does Spare Phone seem to drain your battery more quickly?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones