• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

WiFi issues

amarie82

Android Expert
Sep 16, 2013
okc
After the upgrade to lollipop, I know longer am able to turn my WiFi on! First it wasn't keeping a connection and my phone was a little laggy so I reset it! Now it won't even turn on! Anyone else having these issues? Before I go try and warranty it wanted to see if there is a fix?

Before returning it try wiping the cache partition. If that doesn't help, I would try a factory reset.

Here are the instructions for a factory reset from recovery:

1. If your phone is on, turn it off.
  2. Press and hold the Volume Down and Volume Up buttons, and then press and hold the Power button at the same time until the phone turns on. You'll see the word "Start" with an arrow around it.
  3. Press the Volume Down button twice to highlight "Recovery mode."
  4. Press the Power button to start Recovery mode. You'll see an image of an Android robot with a red exclamation mark and the words "No command."
  5. While holding the Power button, tap the Volume Up button once.
  6. Use the volume buttons to scroll to "wipe data/factory reset" and press the Power button to select it.
  7. Scroll down to "Yes - erase all user data" and press the Power button to select it.

To wipe the cache, follow the same steps but choose the wipe cache option instead of the factory reset option. Wiping cache will not cause you to lose any data, but a factory reset will. Make sure you back up any important pictures, texts, etc. before performing a factory reset.

Reactions: amarie82
Upvote 0
Before returning it try wiping the cache partition. If that doesn't help, I would try a factory reset.

Here are the instructions for a factory reset from recovery:

1. If your phone is on, turn it off.
  2. Press and hold the Volume Down and Volume Up buttons, and then press and hold the Power button at the same time until the phone turns on. You'll see the word "Start" with an arrow around it.
  3. Press the Volume Down button twice to highlight "Recovery mode."
  4. Press the Power button to start Recovery mode. You'll see an image of an Android robot with a red exclamation mark and the words "No command."
  5. While holding the Power button, tap the Volume Up button once.
  6. Use the volume buttons to scroll to "wipe data/factory reset" and press the Power button to select it.
  7. Scroll down to "Yes - erase all user data" and press the Power button to select it.

To wipe the cache, follow the same steps but choose the wipe cache option instead of the factory reset option. Wiping cache will not cause you to lose any data, but a factory reset will. Make sure you back up any important pictures, texts, etc. before performing a factory reset.

I have reset it 3 times already! I had a continuous bootloop and kept resetting come to find out it was a stuck power button! :eek: lol smh still not a go! On XDA some others are having the same WiFi issues its not working on certain WiFi channels as well as it not staying connected! I will try the wipe cache with the hardware keys later tonight after work!

Reactions: Brian706
Upvote 0
I'm pretty sure a cache wipe happens during a factory reset. If a reset didn't help, then I don't think wiping just the cache partition will make a difference.

Since the update broke Wi-Fi, it makes me think that it can be fixed by another update. I wonder if they'll push out another update with some bug fixes soon??

Upvote 0
FWIW, my wife's N5 has no WiFi problems, or any other problems, since the 5.0 update. Her N5 is bone stock and she did a standard OTA update. Haven done a thing to it since and WiFi is blazing fast and the phone is totally stable.

Point of this is that it's likely not a problem with Lollipop, more likely something like a iffy 3rd party app such as a WiFi toggle widget, router settings, etc. Could even be a hardware problem.

Upvote 0
FWIW, my wife's N5 has no WiFi problems, or any other problems, since the 5.0 update. Her N5 is bone stock and she did a standard OTA update. Haven done a thing to it since and WiFi is blazing fast and the phone is totally stable.

Point of this is that it's likely not a problem with Lollipop, more likely something like a iffy 3rd party app such as a WiFi toggle widget, router settings, etc. Could even be a hardware problem.

With the reset I would think fixed any app issues! It was working perfectly before I updated to lollipop! Issues ever since I updated! Possibly hardware but I doubt it! I'm pointing towards a sw issue! It may not effect all! There is a couple posts on XDA about it so I'm not the only one! Just waiting to see if there is gonna be a fix by a setting or sw update before I get it replaced!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones