Wifi tethering question

Last Updated:

1. mickskillz

mickskillz Active Member This Topic's Starter

I have rooted my DI, and i downloaded the newest wifi tethering app 2.0.5. I can connect to my droid with my wireless pc, but it always say no internet connection. It shows i'm connected but without internet access. Any help, i've never done this before. Thanks

Advertisement
  2. DiegoMejia

DiegoMejia Well-Known Member

1. Download File http://goo.gl/8jaD
    2. Extract .bin File from zip
    3. Create android.tether folder on root of sdcard
    4. place .bin in newly created android.tether folder
    5. launch wifitether and try again

3. mickskillz

I just tried this, and still getting same results... I am having a hard time getting back into recovery... i had to use a different sd card and can't replicate the process..

4. mickskillz

disregard..i got it to work.... i had to change to dhcp on my pc instead of the static ip i had setup

crimton likes this.
  5. Matchbox

Matchbox Active Member

I, unfortunately, have been having the same problem. When I first rooted it worked fine, but after I restarted the phone once it does exactly what you're describing. I have the fw_bcm file in my android.tether folder on my sdcard as well. Anyone have any ideas as to what I should do?

6. Yaksha

Yaksha Well-Known Member

I haven't rooted my phone yet, but I was wondering if you could set a WPA key for the wifi.

7. Matchbox

Matchbox Active Member

Yes, you can.

8. jfoey22

jfoey22 Well-Known Member

I think the connection issue has to do with the SD card that you had in the device when you rooted. I have to put the rooted SD card back in the phone in order for my PC to connect.

I have a question about WIFI tethering. The type of connection it creates is Peer to Peer, vs. like a normal WiFi network. My PS3 doesn't see my DINC when I am tethering but my PC does. Anyway to change the connection type from Peer to Peer to Wifi Router?

9. paimon.soror

paimon.soror Well-Known Member

Another thing you guys want to make sure is that you are using DHCP as opposed to static IP's.

Also some devices do not support AdHoc, like the PS3, so this is another reason why it wouldn't work.

10. jfoey22

jfoey22 Well-Known Member

Will there be other tethering options other than Ad-Hoc? My previous phone, the Touch Pro 2, when unlocked had a WiFi tether that wasn't Ad-Hoc.

Is the WiFi tethering program that is installed when you Root the only option available right now?

11. jasonb1985

jasonb1985 Well-Known Member

the Inc also won't connect to an Archos tablet because it's Adhoc. i know a lot of people want to tether to an Ipad. does it actually work with an Ipad?

12. kenyu73

kenyu73 Well-Known Member

I've read posts where they tested tethering with 3 iPads successfully.

13. banshee2008

banshee2008 Active Member

I've also found that the WiFi tethering is flaky on my device even when connecting to devices (like PCs) that do support Ad Hoc. It will work fine for a while, then all of a sudden the download and upload counters both go back to 0.0kB and devices can no longer connect until I stop and re-start tethering. Anyone else seeing this type of behavior?

14. banshee2008

banshee2008 Active Member

OK, I think I've conquered the "flakiness" issue with Wireless Tethering. I disabled "fring" and uninstalled "locale." Presumably one or both of these were competing for the WiFi radio. Works like a champ now.

Anyone else having connectivity issues...you might want to look at what applications are running and try disabling any that you think might be interfering.

15. Rhuston502

Rhuston502 Well-Known Member

I'm not too familiar with this, but if I am in a wifi access point, and I have both my Dinc and my laptop, why would I want to tether using my phone? Why wouldn't I just connect my laptop to the wifi access point?

What are the advantages to using the phone to connect?

16. Taylored

Taylored Well-Known Member

The advantage is for when there is not a wifi access point available. Or if you are like me an refuse to pay for internet or television at home.

17. lgldrgdlr

lgldrgdlr Well-Known Member

The point of tethering is to be able to connect when you're NOT in a wifi hotspot. Access is through the 3g on the phone.

18. JustinD2473

JustinD2473 Well-Known Member

I've tethered my iPad with my incredible multiple times.

19. durangojim

durangojim Well-Known Member

Used it this weekend on a 500 mile road trip. It was excellent tethering the ipad and using the netflix app while driving. Quality was surprisingly good despite being in more rurual areas.

20. crimton

crimton Well-Known Member

i bet thats why i can't get it to work.

21. crimton

does this really matter about having the origianl sd card in? i already formatted it and put my 8gb back in. having trouble getting laptop to connect.

22. Shotgunx1x

Shotgunx1x Well-Known Member

Make sure you have allow DHCP connections. To do this in Windows 7:

Click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, click Run, type NAPCLCFG.MSC, and then click OK.

Click Enforcement Clients.

Right-click DHCP Enforcement Client, and then click Enable or Disable.

I also find that the tether only really to work when I have the network set to open.

23. crimton

this is why it wasn't working, i didn't even have the android.tether folder on this sd card, so i copied it on here and connection right away.

24. omgitswes

omgitswes Well-Known Member

Since OP got his problem resolved I will ask this in here rather than starting a new thread.
    This may be dumb, but I've never used Wifi tether before.

I'm going on a road trip this weekend and will be passing through some pretty rural areas and I'm sure I wont be able to get get 3G connection to browse the internet. So if I turn on Wifi Tether can i connect my phone to that connection? It'll be too crowded in the car to whip out my laptop.

Also has anyone tried connecting an ipod touch yet?

25. mozetti

mozetti Well-Known Member

I don't think you're understanding what wifi-tethering actually does. It turns your phone into a wifi access point/hotspot. It lets other devices with wifi antennas (like laptops, PCs, netbooks, iPads, etc) use your phone's connection to the Verizon Wireless internet connection -- I haven't used it yet, but I assume they get an IP from your phone/wifi-tether.

If your phone doesn't have a connection to the internet (via the cellular netwrok -- 3G/1x) then there is no point in running wifi-tether. And your phone can't "use" wifi-tether because your phone is the device that is providing the access to other devices to get to the internet.