Wifi - will not turn on automatically

Last Updated:

1. dinosaur1

dinosaur1 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

After my Droid finds my home's wifi network I enter the password & everything is good. When I leave and come back home why won't the wifi kick in automatically? Am I missing something?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Advertisement
  2. IxI Dan IxI

IxI Dan IxI Well-Known Member

that sucks. App conflict?

3. dinosaur1

App conflict?

4. takeshi

takeshi Well-Known Member

You might want to clarify your subject. I assume you mean that it won't connect automatically. Unless you have an app that switches WiFi on and off, WiFi won't switch off and on automatically (but I'm guessing that's not what you mean after reading your post).

5. dinosaur1

I figured it out, wifi now switches on and off automatically which is built in the Droid.

6. kratos

kratos Back on my throne!!! VIP Member

Please tell us how you got that to happen. As far as I know, WIFI does not turn on and off automatically. You have to manually turn it on and off either in settings or using an app or widget.

Kratos

7. allanlaw

allanlaw Well-Known Member

I think if you leave it turned on, it will automatically pick up a local wifi and then switch back to 3G if there is no available wifi (I'm ignoring passwords etc).

8. kratos

That is interesting. I always lose my 3G when I turn on WIFI. Even if there is no WIFI network available.

Kratos

9. allanlaw

allanlaw Well-Known Member

Stock Droid? My observation is that the 3G icon does not go off until the wifi icon shows actual connection.

10. kratos

I will have to look at that a little closer. I usually turn of WIFI when I lose my 3G connection. This has always disabled 3G and "reset" my 3G connection (gotten rid of the 1x and brought back 3G).

I will look at it a little closer to determine if it is connecting to any nearby WIFI access points when I do that.

Kratos

11. riffdex

riffdex Well-Known Member

What I think he means is, the Droid will connect to WiFi networks automatically when in range. He had thought that, if he had WiFi turned off, and then went to his house (where he has a WiFi connection), the Droid would turn on WiFi. But really, he would need WiFi turned on always for this to happen. The Droid cannot automatically turn on/off WiFi when a connection is available/missing. Again, this is what I think he was trying to say, I could be wrong.