Will The GPS Issue Be Repaired?

Last Updated:

1. TozyJay

TozyJay Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Any idea if this is GPS issue is a hardware or software issue? I tried to ignore it but the Fascinate's flawed GPS is really starting to annoy me. It insists that I live at an airport a good distance from my house! :D

This, in conjunction with the fact that the Verizon rep misinformed me about the internal hard drive space is kinda making me feel miffed about the phone.

Don't get me wrong, I love the device over all but I want to have at least some feeling that the major issues are going to be resolved before I lose the opportunity to return it.

Advertisement
  2. buur

buur Member

Mine has been saying "Your current location is temporarily unavailable" for the last 2 days. It is maddening. I thought I could live with this since I rarely used the maps on my old iphone, but knowing this doesn't work at all is driving me crazy.

3. EliC

EliC Well-Known Member

Only time will tell, but I still suspect a hardware problem in the silicone.

4. Gevis

Gevis Well-Known Member

Usually happens if you only have GPS on. If you don't already, put google location services on and it will guestimate before it locks.

Anyways, it is on their known issue list that leaked. I'm guessing it will be repaired by 2.2 if it's a software issue. Maybe exchange the phone and see if the knew one works any better?

Tell them it's defective.

5. xceebeex

xceebeex Well-Known Member

The biggest issue that I have with the GPS on mine is that it can take a while for it to lock on to the satellites, but once it does, it is dead-on accurate down to 1 meter most of the time.

I would guess that it is a software issue versus a hardware issue because I think there are temporary fixes out there for a couple of the other Galaxy S phones that was just some new code, so I would think the Fascinate will get something similar in the not too distant future.

6. zacking133

zacking133 Member

I live in a small town in Arkansas and my gps works perfectly. I really think it must be alot of the fascinates are having problems. I would just try to get a new one, and if you have any luck yours will also work. Actually earlier I was playing with my gps and it was accurate to a couple feet. Good luck:D

7. saps

saps Well-Known Member

8. Blue218

Blue218 Well-Known Member

My GPS seems to work fine on Google Maps and Navigation.

9. druaszomg

druaszomg New Member

i just posted this elsewhere but try this

Hi All

My fascinate was very erratic with gps, sometimes it would lock in 2 minutes and other times it was stuck at searching for satellites for 30 minutes
    when it finally locked on it was dead on accurate but it was taking forever

I downloaded this app from the market called GPS Status. Once installed goto settings within the app, there is a splash screen with some info and the standalone gps must be turned on
    ok once your in settings goto GPS and Sensors-> Manage A-GPS State -> reset

I tried the navigation after that and it was nearly instant

i have not tried the download option

My phone is rooted and debinged but i don't think that should be relevant

Thanks much

SmittyNM likes this.
  10. SmittyNM

SmittyNM New Member

While I haven't fully tested it yet, it seems to work like a charm so far.

Thanks for the work around!

11. ckochinsky125

ckochinsky125 Banned

12. jdk2

jdk2 Well-Known Member

And others are saying the update is the same one that's available at XDA and fixes for the GPS were ineffective at best.

13. chasemyaccord

chasemyaccord Well-Known Member

I think it's a software issue as well. Hopefully resolved soon. I was using my GPS yesterday and it was telling me I was on a road that was on the other side of the freeway I was parallel with. At least it was accurate to within two blocks :p

14. rogue_slc_vzw_rep

rogue_slc_vzw_rep Well-Known Member

Navigation is almost I instant when used from the navigation app. There is a delay from connecting Google maps to navigation while in the map app. I get a quick lock on maps but pulling navigation is the issue unless I pull up the nav app..

15. chasemyaccord

chasemyaccord Well-Known Member

Is that while your GPS is turned on? Mine locks pretty quickly too since I haven't turned off GPS in a few days. Yours is still instant after you turn it off and back on?