• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Windows 10, Yay or Nay?

So I have an NC10 netbook running Window 7 and Xubuntu dual booted.
If I run the Windows 10 update and it nukes the boot loader so only Windows 10 works how do I undo the damage? Will running the Xubuntu installer again fix the issue?

Cheers all.

Are you using legacy BIOS or UEFI to boot?

I was told that Updating the Windows 7 partition should not effect the grub bootloader settings, but I found that Grub didn't like Windows 10 during the installation. I just had to use boot into linux (Mint 17.2 Cinnamon) and run update-grub and all was happy again. YMMV.

Reactions: bcrichster
Upvote 0
Ooops!..Win 10 didn't like that USB device. Seeing what works with what.
IMG20151107233923.jpg

EDIT:

Apple USB Ethernet Adapter worked with Ubuntu straight away, nothing to install at all. :thumbsupdroid:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I was informed by my PC buddy who has dualboot with both Win 10 & Ubuntu 15, that you have to install Linux FIRST before the new Windows 10 to avoid HDD dominance..
My personal question is this: has anyone else had ridiculous "update check" time frames? Linux is like 60 seconds and I sat with windows running a check for over an hr & half.. It's a fresh install so I KNOW there's updates available

Upvote 0
my laptop with windows 8.. bootup from hibernate took maybe a minute. or less

now.. it takes over 3 minutes... with windows 10

My new Ramos tablet, which I mentioned previously in this thread, only takes about 55 seconds to boot Win 10, and was about the same for 8.1, which is what it came with.

Even this old thing, the Fujitsu UH900 UMPC only takes a minute to boot Win 7, and only 30 seconds to boot Linux Mint. Both these devices use SSD rather than mechanical hard-drives though, which many regular laptops still do. And the new Macbook Air is SSD as well, and boots OS X and loads applications much faster than the old white one.
IMG20151109002506.jpg

Originally bought in HK in 2010, not suitable for Win 10 because of the Intel GMA500 Poulsbo graphics. Can see the bubbles around the resistive touch-screen, where it's starting to decompose. But it's still usable for the occasional Android phone rooting and hacking jobs. :)

Upvote 0
I was informed by my PC buddy who has dualboot with both Win 10 & Ubuntu 15, that you have to install Linux FIRST before the new Windows 10 to avoid HDD dominance..
My personal question is this: has anyone else had ridiculous "update check" time frames? Linux is like 60 seconds and I sat with windows running a check for over an hr & half.. It's a fresh install so I KNOW there's updates available
Anyone have any idea how to speed up the update checks? Not many of us can wait at a library or McD's for many hrs just looking for updates

Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0
Anyone have any idea how to speed up the update checks? Not many of us can wait at a library or McD's for many hrs just looking for updates

Something I was going to mention in my post about trying to use an "Apple USB Ethe放开%&……*霸..." :rolleyes: device with Win 10. That took about 15 minutes to finally decide that it couldn't find a driver. I originally thought it was just because I'm in China, and it's just slow to the MS servers.

There probably is a Windows driver for it buried in Apple's BootCamp, for running Windows on a Mac.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I can't get my NC10 netbook to get the update. It's fully patched Windows 7 home premium, the little update icon tells me I'm registered for the update and to wait. Well its been days now and nothing. I've deleted the contents on the softwaredistribution\download folder and run windows update but nothing has arrived. Any ideas peeps?

Upvote 0
I can't get my NC10 netbook to get the update. It's fully patched Windows 7 home premium, the little update icon tells me I'm registered for the update and to wait. Well its been days now and nothing. I've deleted the contents on the softwaredistribution\download folder and run windows update but nothing has arrived. Any ideas peeps?

Probably not capable, a netbook from 2008, single-core Atom N270, 1GB RAM, 1024x600 screen. It would have originally come with XP Home or Win 7 Starter edition, or possibly Linux. It's probably the graphics making it unsuitable, and there's nothing you can do about that. Like on my Fujitsu UH900 UMPC it stated that the Intel GMA500 graphics was unsuitable for Win 10, no drivers. Don't think I'd really want to run Win 10 with an Atom N270 at 1.6GHz and only 1GB RAM, it could be painfully slow.

They don't even make netbooks and UMPCs now, you want lightweight, it's ultrabooks and tablets these days.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Probably not capable, a netbook from 2008, single-core Atom N270, 1GB RAM, 1024x600 screen. It would have originally come with XP Home or Win 7 Starter edition, or possibly Linux. It's probably the graphics making it unsuitable, and there's nothing you can do about that. Like on my Fujitsu UH900 UMPC it stated that the Intel GMA500 graphics was unsuitable for Win 10, no drivers. Don't think I'd really want to run Win 10 with an Atom N270 at 1.6GHz and only 1GB RAM, it could be painfully slow.

They don't even make netbooks and UMPCs now, you want lightweight, it's ultrabooks and tablets these days.
I upgraded it to 2Gb RAM and it runs Windows 7 fine, I'm under the impression that 10 is supposed to be lighter on resources so I thought it would work. Anyway I thought it ran a report first and at least said its not possible.

Edit: It seems that it is possible but has issues, I don't think I'll bother.

http://www.sammynetbook.com/forum/threads/34765-Windows-10-Install-on-an-NC10

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If the windows 10 upgrade nag says you are eligible and compatible (it hasn't done a complete system check yet) you can force the issue by using the media creation tool to actually get the upgrade to run. If you have enough resources to download and run the upgrade it will first check compatibility with installed apps and drivers and if your device can run 10, it will begin the process. Be warned though, that many times you'll get to the end of the upgrade and when you reboot something won't be quite right and it will reboot back to 7. The error message is a typically unhelpful MS number that could be one of hundred different things with no specifics.

It would be great if the message was "The upgrade failed because driver 'abc123.xyx' for your USB widget adapter is not compatible" or "The upgrade failed because your BIOS is out of date", but what you will most likely see is "Update 10000023 failed because of error 230000001."

Then you try and lookup the error and you get a general troubleshooting list. Google the error and you'll find 100 solutions, all of which have nothing to do with you.

All I can say is good luck and I hope it works for you.

Upvote 0

If i read that link correctly, the complaints were having to re-install a video driver, not liking Edge (Which I agree with), trying to run legacy apps and dubious utilities (ccleaner? really? These bogus optimizers have been unnecessary since Windows98) and not quite understanding the underlying security included with Win10 (MSE and defender have been combined, so yeah, the win7 versions would be redundant and glitchy if forced to run.)

I think the only issue in this instance is with that particular user. ;)

Upvote 0
I upgraded it to 2Gb RAM and it runs Windows 7 fine, I'm under the impression that 10 is supposed to be lighter on resources so I thought it would work. Anyway I thought it ran a report first and at least said its not possible.

There's only Intel drivers upto Win 7 for that.
http://ark.intel.com/products/36549/Intel-82945GSE-Graphics-and-Memory-Controller#@downloads

BTW it's a good machine for Ubuntu or Linux Mint though, even latest versions fully supported. :thumbsupdroid:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If i read that link correctly, the complaints were having to re-install a video driver, not liking Edge (Which I agree with), trying to run legacy apps and dubious utilities (ccleaner? really? These bogus optimizers have been unnecessary since Windows98) and not quite understanding the underlying security included with Win10 (MSE and defender have been combined, so yeah, the win7 versions would be redundant and glitchy if forced to run.)

I think the only issue in this instance is with that particular user. ;)

Windows 10 still has the same old Registry though, a legacy from 3.1, and I'm sure can still get too bloated and cause slow-down, especially when adding and removing applications. And I don't think MS have really addressed any way of taking care of itself and cleaning it. Of course things like Android don't have a Registry, i.e. a single bloated and often fragile blob, filled with obfuscated stuff.

Upvote 0
I remember universal adoration for that new registry thing back then, because it removed the need for .ini files. I also remember talk of getting rid of the registry with Windows 9, before it turned out to be 10. And now with a new whizbang Windows 10 that can't even work as well as an almost decade-old 7, even it still has ini. files and the same untrained registry.

The past is keeping them from moving forward...

Upvote 0
Having set up 10 as a dualboot beside 7 for the umpteenth time, I continually marvel had how smoothly the upgrade installation process works. Although the magic does take some time, darn near everything that worked in 7 works the same way in 10, although my AV and firewall needed some coddling.

I do this 'wrong,' by backing up 10, reloading 7, restoring 10 to an adjacent partition, then telling EasyBCD what just happened. Conversely, if I do a clean install of 10 and try to replicate 7 by installing the same stuff, it trips over apps, drivers, authentications, you name it.

But every time I boot to 10, trying to embrace the future, I wonder what the point of this new OS is, carefully designed to almost behave like the OS it's replacing. Then I reboot to 7 and write something like this... they've painted themselves into a digital corner.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Problem is they can't easily do away with this 25 year legacy, because it would break nearly every existing Windows program there is. I'm using Office 2010 on Win 10. Latest versions of MS Office are not suitable for my uses, and I don't want to be paying a monthly or annual subscription(rental) for Office365.

Mike,

this is our situation here also.
Just yesterday, I pushed my daughter's 5 year old Sony Vaio to Win10... it was getting down in the tooth with a lot of crap on it, and I was hoping that if Win10 would do some housecleaning, that it might run faster after the upgrade.

I did not make any Performance tests on it, but after Win10 finished ( a 9 hour long slogging process ),
to me it does not seem like the laptop is any faster than it was.

One thing that I did notice, was that it retained her Desktop screen, and Word 2010 is still running on it for her.
Like Mike, we cannot afford License Fees annually for new software. IMO, once I buy a program, that program is MINE and I should not have to be forking over more money Every Year to continue to use that program.

When I see a License Fee, I just delete the new stuff, and continue on.
My Desktop which is still Win7 Home Premium has Word 2007 on it, a version that does NOT have all of those crappy Rulers on it. I will not put up with a Non-Menu driven application. I refuse to be forced to use a Mouse to navigate thru a program.

If I cannot write a Macro to use the menus, then that program is toast and deleted off my computer.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones