• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Windows 10, Yay or Nay?

I installed Win 10 Pro right over Win 7 Pro on my wife's computer. It went without a hitch. Her desktop came up correctly and everything.

Besides backing up everything, before you do the upgrade make sure you have the latest available versions of all the software on the computer. That will help to prevent problems.

You should be OK. Just do the backups first!

Upvote 0
I been doing a lot of research trying to find the path to the original control panel(Like in Windows 7),I still can't find a way to get there via OS.
Can you not just right click start menu and see the context menu with tons of goodies in there? Control panel should be one. It was a feature introduced in 8.1 (and a gargantuan need) and I swear I've used it in 10 already.

Windows Key + X -> Control Panel doesn't work?
Is that an 8.1/10 feature? On work pc (laptop) i get the presentation options, mobility center.

I actually bought Win 7 pro (i run enterprise at home) for 70 bucks on amazon so I could install that, then upgrade to 10. I was going to dual boot on existing 256 SSD, but then I saw a deal for a 512 850 Pro, so I just installed a new drive and did it all there.

Loving all the improvements, aesthetically and otherwise. Win 7 was King, but I believe Win 10 will turn out to be more than a worthy successor.

Also upgraded wifes win 7 home laptop flawlessly.

Went to do my old custom rig (old, lol - 6 core amd, ssd + 1.5tb, 16gb ram, etc) that is now my wifes. Its a true dual boot, Win 7 ent and Win 8 pro. Unfortunately I threw 8 on a 40 gig partition, which only has 4gb free. You need 6 to install 10. Disk Manager let me shrink win 7 partition, but wont let me extend the 8 partition. Grrr, was hoping to have 4 pcs upgraded with zero troubles...

Upvote 0
Can you not just right click start menu and see the context menu with tons of goodies in there? Control panel should be one. It was a feature introduced in 8.1 (and a gargantuan need) and I swear I've used it in 10 already.

Is that an 8.1/10 feature? On work pc (laptop) i get the presentation options, mobility center.

I actually bought Win 7 pro (i run enterprise at home) for 70 bucks on amazon so I could install that, then upgrade to 10. I was going to dual boot on existing 256 SSD, but then I saw a deal for a 512 850 Pro, so I just installed a new drive and did it all there.

Loving all the improvements, aesthetically and otherwise. Win 7 was King, but I believe Win 10 will turn out to be more than a worthy successor.

Also upgraded wifes win 7 home laptop flawlessly.

Went to do my old custom rig (old, lol - 6 core amd, ssd + 1.5tb, 16gb ram, etc) that is now my wifes. Its a true dual boot, Win 7 ent and Win 8 pro. Unfortunately I threw 8 on a 40 gig partition, which only has 4gb free. You need 6 to install 10. Disk Manager let me shrink win 7 partition, but wont let me extend the 8 partition. Grrr, was hoping to have 4 pcs upgraded with zero troubles...

I assume you've got:

|windows 7| unallocated space |windows8| ?

You can't move the start of a partition with disk management, only the end. I ran into the same problem. I got around it by using a 'gparted' bootable cd, which is basically the same tool as disk management, to shift the second partition forward:

|windows 7|windows8|unallocated space|

Then extending the second partition.

Note: Shifting a several hundred GB partition took FOREVER. Don't do this if you're in a rush.

Upvote 0

Win+X does the same thing as right-clicking at the start menu corner, or at least it should. It's been a while since I used Windows 8 (not 8.1), but I know that Win+X works fine in Server 2012 (not R2 - well it does work in R2 as well, but it's also there in the first release).

Upvote 0
I assume you've got:

|windows 7| unallocated space |windows8| ?

You can't move the start of a partition with disk management, only the end. I ran into the same problem. I got around it by using a 'gparted' bootable cd, which is basically the same tool as disk management, to shift the second partition forward:

|windows 7|windows8|unallocated space|

Then extending the second partition.

Note: Shifting a several hundred GB partition took FOREVER. Don't do this if you're in a rush.

Exactly. I was hoping I could use disk part from win pe perhaps. I actually forgot I had win 8 on this machine. Never expected to need more space. Didn't think I'd ever leave win 7 ent. But free 10 is too good to pass up.

Win+X does the same thing as right-clicking at the start menu corner, or at least it should. It's been a while since I used Windows 8 (not 8.1), but I know that Win+X works fine in Server 2012 (not R2 - well it does work in R2 as well, but it's also there in the first release).

Hmm, could just be because it's a laptop (connected to a doc). I know presentation mode is disabled on desktops.

But you are saying a right click of start gives you the context menu with all the goodies? Haven't been on my PC is a few days

Upvote 0
Hmm, could just be because it's a laptop (connected to a doc). I know presentation mode is disabled on desktops.

But you are saying a right click of start gives you the context menu with all the goodies? Haven't been on my PC is a few days

I've used that keyboard shortcut extensively on my laptop, but have never had it connected to a dock. Are the presentation mode options not accessed by Win+P? I seem to remember that for some reason.

Upvote 0
I've used that keyboard shortcut extensively on my laptop, but have never had it connected to a dock. Are the presentation mode options not accessed by Win+P? I seem to remember that for some reason.

I just get the 'extend, duplicate, etc' options win win+p, win+x gives me Windows Mobility Center options.
upload_2015-9-18_14-12-40.png

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones