• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Windows can't find Captivate

What Samsung should have done to make this a non-issue was put the Kies installer on the phone, set the default to mass storage, and upon connection check for the appropriate driver, and if it wasn't found ask permission to install it. Then once connected, ask if you want to install Kies, and maybe even offer a phone-viewed video of what Kies offers. The way they went about this was ridiculous.

What happens when you're over someone's house for a party, take some pics, and they want to see them up on their computer? "Oh wait, first I have to install some shit on your computer hold on for half an hour!" or have to search out for the driver while they all wait for your "amazing super phone" to finally get connected.

HaHaHaHa, Damn if this truly didn't happen to me! True story, my bud took similar pics at a company volleyball game (.)(.) with an "old school 35mm. He went next door and had them developed and back before I could even finish. Yeah here's me red faced!

Upvote 0
What Samsung should have done to make this a non-issue was put the Kies installer on the phone, set the default to mass storage, and upon connection check for the appropriate driver, and if it wasn't found ask permission to install it. Then once connected, ask if you want to install Kies, and maybe even offer a phone-viewed video of what Kies offers. The way they went about this was ridiculous.

What happens when you're over someone's house for a party, take some pics, and they want to see them up on their computer? "Oh wait, first I have to install some shit on your computer hold on for half an hour!" or have to search out for the driver while they all wait for your "amazing super phone" to finally get connected.

Except most of us never have this problem and never have to install drivers. I'm not saying some you folks aren't experiencing something, but the assumption that this is the "norm" or intentional behavior isn't correct. There is something unusual and/or messed up with your Windows config that is preventing the standard USB mass storage drivers from working.

Upvote 0
Reactions: TonuStark
Upvote 0
For those of you having issues with USB, try downloading a tool made by Microsoft called UVCView.exe. If your device shows up in the list but has a red mark through it on the connection icon then your settings are wrong in the phone. ftp://ftp.efo.ru/pub/ftdichip/Utilities/UVCView.x86.exe

Another program called USBDeview has a much more in depth look at your USB setup.

View any installed/connected USB device on your system

Great piece of info thank you. I'm a 47yo knob though:cool: So why exactly will this , STILL, not let me into Kies? I'm able to work in my storage, move music pics etc but not work in Samsung's proprietary programing! What! What am I still missing? Immediately upon connection Kies wakes up. Of course Kies tells me to shut down. At this time I select "Mount" (in mass storage) and it disappears from Kies and Windows takes over opening 2 storage devices (as per the norm.) Selecting Samsung Kies from USB settings does nothing.

This phone is compared and heralded as the iPhone killer. Well almost, has everyone experienced iTunes? slick communication between device and pc. Come on Samsung do it all the way. This shouldn't be this difficult. I never have nor EVER will own an iPhone! Google, a little help here would be nice:thinking:

Upvote 0
Windows 7 x86, all usb drivers, kies etc. Phone will only connect to PC if I choose mass storage option and mount.

But I want to use Kies, so how to I get the phone to connect? It will only recognize the phone when USB debugging is on, but tells me it cant connect with debugging on, try again by choosing the Kies type of connection. Did that and PC doesnt recognize phone.

Upvote 0
unmounted - allows access to the external SD(yours)
mounted - allows access to the internal SD(phones)
I got them both to work once, but cant get them to work again.

Samsung really needs to fix this problem.

That's no shit. I can't believe that in 2011 I can't just plug my damn phone into the USB port and see it in My Computer. It's absolutely ridiculous. I've tried connecting maybe 100 times and I think I got it to work maybe twice. I can't even remember what I did to make it work. It sucks balls. As far as Kies goes, I've never gotten it to work. I hope that if we ever get froyo, it comes OTA 'cause if it doesn't, I'll never get it.

Upvote 0
I have connected the Captivate to my Windows 7 64 Bit PC. I have downloaded the updated drivers and installed them. I have tried all the different types of connection as mass storage etc... Nothing seems to work. I can see the phone in Device Manager and in the explorer it shows three removable disks; however, when I try to open them it tells me to insert disk.

Does anyone know how to connect this to my PC?

I had this very same problem (ASUSP6X58-E PRO, w/Marvell SATA6GB 91xx controller.) I tried everything, swapping plugs, endless driver installs, rebooting. But the moment I uninstalled the "Marvell Storage Utility" using Windows Add / Removed Software the Autoplay windows appeared for both the internal and external SD cards, This software was installed from the ASUS Support DVD. I'm not running a sata6gb RAID so I don't need it anyway. I hope this helps others with the same problem.

Upvote 0
Hello recently (possibly) bricked my rooted Captivate. At this point it is in download mode and attempting to revive it back to stock. Trouble is NO system (4 in all) running Windows 7 32 bit I own recognizes the phone. I have installed Kies, all versions from different countries and drivers from Samsung. Also any other driver out there possible. It still will not be recoginzed. Any suggestions? RIP Captivate?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones