• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Windows Phone 7 Looking Better Than Android?

Personally I think the Windows UI looks okay, but I much prefer all of the alternatives. And yes, there are a lot of crappy apps on the Android Marketplace, but it's not just for the reason of being able to claim we have a large number of apps. Google encourages open development and typically doesn't reject apps a lot. There are always trade-offs to decisions, and b/c we have access to a large variety of apps (a lot of which wouldn't make it past the AppStore Guidelines), we also have to deal with the inevitable that some of the apps are going to be crap.

Upvote 0
The OS is simply not customizeable enough for me. I also don't like having to scroll through screens to get to where I want to go. I would rather have shortcuts directly on my desktop to call people, map directly to my house, start applications, bookmarks, etc... This is my personal view, but the tiles are really ugly.

Upvote 0
I can't wait for WP7. I could care less about UI, like you girly pansies who want "customization" and that bull. I actually like the UI, it does what it says, and pushes all the important information I need right at my home screen.

Microsoft, from all these numerous articles popping up, is having steering in the right direction on how it actually runs. An article that came out said that an application that doesn't run in 5 seconds is automatically rejected. That's some good stuff.

I think WP7 is a hybrid of the best features of Android and iOS. You get to choose your hardware and your carrier like Android, and you get a perfect set of core apps and steady, non tampered updates like iOS. Not to mention Office and Xbox Live integration, Zune Pass, and a slew of other goodies.

Upvote 0
I can't wait for WP7. I could care less about UI, like you girly pansies who want "customization" and that bull. I actually like the UI, it does what it says, and pushes all the important information I need right at my home screen.

Microsoft, from all these numerous articles popping up, is having steering in the right direction on how it actually runs. An article that came out said that an application that doesn't run in 5 seconds is automatically rejected. That's some good stuff.

I think WP7 is a hybrid of the best features of Android and iOS. You get to choose your hardware and your carrier like Android, and you get a perfect set of core apps and steady, non tampered updates like iOS. Not to mention Office and Xbox Live integration, Zune Pass, and a slew of other goodies.

Applications can't anticipate what the system is going through at the time. Sure, they will be coded better so that they start faster, but that doesn't necessarily mean they will always start in less than 5 seconds. Just saying. EDIT: Also, this could potentially be a bad policy in certain cases. There might be some killer app that is worth the 5 seconds, and can't really be fixed to load faster (or maybe the developers choose not to worry about this and just don't put it out on WP7). Realistically, if an app takes more than 5 seconds to load (and isn't worth it), consumers aren't going to keep it anyway.

Personally, I'm expecting WP7 to be very good, I just don't really like the UI. But a lot of what you said is speculation (perfect set of core apps, non tampered updates) and it's hard to really know this for sure until we actually see some phones come out. I'm hoping WP7 is amazing. Not because I want to use it (mostly b/c i prefer the Android UI), but because it will force Android and iOS to step up their game as well.

Upvote 0
As someone still using a Windows 6.5 device for work, I'll say Windows 7 has come a long way. However, those "blocks" on the home screen are like screens from my Atari 8 bit computer I had in 1983. You have a beautiful hi res screen and when you turn it on you are going to see nice big blocks. That is sexy with a capital S! I'm actually shocked at the number of people who seem to really like it. Maybe its because it looks like their Zune once you get by the home screen. I don't know. All I know is that to me, its horrible and not something I'd be proud to show off.

Now I can't completely defend Android either. Android's interface is bland yet customizable but even with customization can look like a kludge. Its interface is choppy and lacks the glitz and butter feel of an iPhone. But yet Android is a solid phone with great potential. I think once Gingerbread comes out along with the Google Music service, we are going to see Android get more into the multimedia fun. Time will tell....

Upvote 0
Personally, I'm expecting WP7 to be very good, I just don't really like the UI. But a lot of what you said is speculation (perfect set of core apps, non tampered updates) and it's hard to really know this for sure until we actually see some phones come out. I'm hoping WP7 is amazing. Not because I want to use it (mostly b/c i prefer the Android UI), but because it will force Android and iOS to step up their game as well.

How are those things speculation? The core apps have been proven to be great in the previews (except the whole "people" app shit) and Microsoft isn't allowing custom skinning of any sort (except from a hub, which indeed worries me)

Upvote 0
As someone still using a Windows 6.5 device for work, I'll say Windows 7 has come a long way. However, those "blocks" on the home screen are like screens from my Atari 8 bit computer I had in 1983. You have a beautiful hi res screen and when you turn it on you are going to see nice big blocks. That is sexy with a capital S! I'm actually shocked at the number of people who seem to really like it. Maybe its because it looks like their Zune once you get by the home screen. I don't know. All I know is that to me, its horrible and not something I'd be proud to show off.

Now I can't completely defend Android either. Android's interface is bland yet customizable but even with customization can look like a kludge. Its interface is choppy and lacks the glitz and butter feel of an iPhone. But yet Android is a solid phone with great potential. I think once Gingerbread comes out along with the Google Music service, we are going to see Android get more into the multimedia fun. Time will tell....

Well, honestly I can understand how people would like the look of Windows 7 (even though I don't). It has a simple look that is clean and doesn't confuse the user. There aren't a million things going on on the screen and the options are clean-cut and neat.

How are those things speculation? The core apps have been proven to be great in the previews (except the whole "people" app shit) and Microsoft isn't allowing custom skinning of any sort (except from a hub, which indeed worries me)

All I meant was, any device can be advertised in a certain way, but we will really have to have our hands on the device before we know for sure. I'm not saying that they won't be any good, just think you're jumping the gun a little. And really I don't see how we can know that we'll get steady updates at this point.

Upvote 0
All I meant was, any device can be advertised in a certain way, but we will really have to have our hands on the device before we know for sure. I'm not saying that they won't be any good, just think you're jumping the gun a little. And really I don't see how we can know that we'll get steady updates at this point.
+1. Show me a production device from a store with a long term review (none of this "I used it for 10 minutes and here's my review" nonsense) and I'll take it seriously. Anything before that doesn't really matter in my book. YMMV, of course, but I've rarely been disappointed with this approach while it seems many others are disappointed after hyping up a product during the lead up to its release.

Upvote 0
Multi-tasking on WM 7 is s***. Basically non-existent. You have to keep pressing the back button to get to your last used app. WTF is that? seriously.

So what? The purpose of WP7 is to bring a simple yet elegant experience with Quality controlled apps. Have you even seen the Android Market and the UI? There are so many puzzle and wallpaper apps that it isn't even funny.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones