• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Would any of you??

why not nexus? i mean it has pure google on it..

Simple, it's not worth it if we base it on hardware.

On the Galaxy Nexus: camera is inferior, the storage capacity is inferior, the GPU is inferior, no radio. Those things could account for the higher asking price for an SGS2, which actually truly costs at around $750 here unlocked.

well i was looking at different sites and calculated them all and with tax and shipping it comes close to 800.. even when i "checked" out it came damn near close lol

Oh shipping and taxes. I was talking about just going to a store and picking one up. That's how buying unlocked phones here go about. Just the taxes are paid (its already added to the price tag)

Upvote 0
Simple, it's not worth it if we base it on hardware.

On the Galaxy Nexus: camera is inferior, the storage capacity is inferior, the GPU is inferior, no radio. Those things could account for the higher asking price for an SGS2, which actually truly costs at around $750 here unlocked.

Oh shipping and taxes. I was talking about just going to a store and picking one up. That's how buying unlocked phones here go about. Just the taxes are paid (its already added to the price tag)

I'm looking in the specs and your right! i have the galaxy S 2 and my phone spec blows out the nexus specs, but you gotta admit.. ice cream is sweet.

And if i ordered it would come from the UK.. thats why its so high haaha

Upvote 0
Samsung already tweeted that SGS2 will get ICS, so getting a Nexus just for that and letting go of the superior hardware on the SGS2 is not worth it.

Although of course since the SGS2 is not exactly using "common" hardware, the ICS may come to it a few weeks or months late. If I remember the SGS1 got Gingerbread like 4 months after the update was released. And no, a new OS upgrade does not for me justify getting a new phone.

Reactions: AndroidOKC
Upvote 0
Absolutely not. I can think of a million other things I would rather spend $800 on..

Some of the "inaugural" prices are absurd as it is, as we watch those prices drop over time, often all the way down to "free" after a year or so.

They make a lot of money off of that old human trait of "gotta be the first on the block to have this" and (interestingly) "gotta have what everybody else has." ;)

Reactions: 2k2cse
Upvote 0
why not nexus? i mean it has pure google on it..

There are ways of getting a (near) pure Google Android build on phones that are not Nexus devices. The most popular one is Cyanogen Mod. While it's not a 'pure' Google experience, it's pretty darn close. Close enough where people still call it a 'pure' Google experience. And the Galaxy S2 is supported by the Cyanogen Mod team.

You just have to be willing to root to install it. It's the best of both worlds, IMO.

Upvote 0
Some of the "inaugural" prices are absurd as it is, as we watch those prices drop over time, often all the way down to "free" after a year or so.

They make a lot of money off of that old human trait of "gotta be the first on the block to have this" and (interestingly) "gotta have what everybody else has." ;)

Yeah, I would much rather wait a few months to a year, and probably get it at half the price or less. I remember when I got my Sony digital camera 6 years ago. I paid nearly $350 fir it, and it wasn't really even a good camera. 6mp and very few customizable settings. I look at cameras now that take pictures that make mine look like a 2 year old's drawings, for half the price.

I can understand why people want to have the "latest and greatest" technology and products..but there's a limit to what I would pay for that.

Upvote 0
Thanks for all your input guys! I did more research for myself and did find what most of you guys are saying.. My GSII Skyrocket does have better hardware and specs compared to the galaxy nexus.

I'm new to android, i came from the icrap.. yes.. its sad but true.. my whole premonition and my whole existence based on, Apple - "here's iOS" and Me- "ok ill use what you give me" mindset. i just used what apple gave me to use. So.. going to android i love it and i wanna learn more, the experience is great and i can do whatever i want on MY phone that i bought! So the ICS and pure google nexus is really tempting to me. I've never rooted a phone and to me i feel its difficult lol.

I notice in the android community, hardware and specs is important first then software.

Upvote 0
Hardware and specs is more important because we can build our own custom versions of Android given enough time and knowledge and desire, or we can get one of the custom Android versions being published, like CyanogenMod's Android version.

However being new I would suggest to not do too much yet and try to get the feel of the stock system first. Non-Nexus Samsung phones has the most "iPhone-like" interface, so you won't feel too lost immediately, if that's a concern.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones