• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

1 thing i HATE about the Dinc

i have my wifes blackberry tour in my left hand and signal strenth is 83
droid incred in right hand and signal strength is 83 the same .
its not the actual reception , its the indicator that is different .
bb tour at 5 bars
droid inc at 2 bars but same signal strength

dbm's change like in the video when holded in a different positon.

also i found this in my manual about the antenna

http://shehci.ho8.com/webshare/IMAG0157.jpg

Upvote 0
i get anywhere from 0 to 2 bars in my house on my Inc but i still have crystal clear calls and have yet to drop a call. i also get very decent 3G data speeds at home as well. so i really could care less how many bars show up as long as i still get good call quality and average 3G speeds.

i have not played around to see if i get better signal when holding the phone funky ways, i just use it and it works. signal strength is about on par with my Moto Droid which has also never ever dropped a call.

Upvote 0
I remember back in my Nextel days many many years ago. Our phone had subpar reception, so they released a rom update that made all the bars go up to full signal strength even if it barely had a signal. If it had no signal, the bars would disappear and it would say "no signal". So, no one would complain about reception as long as you barely had one, you had 4 bars of service.

I don't put any faith in those reception bars to be honest with you. If I have one bar of reception on this phone, its better than the 3 bars of service I had on my Iphone with AT&T in the same location.

Upvote 0
The bottom i guess has a antenna in it which is dum because there should be no antenna on the bottom where your hand is going to block or alter reception.

The antenna is at the bottom so it doesn't fry your brain. Seriously, though, this is a common practice by all phone manufacturers to better the SAR rating for approval by the governing authorities (ie. FCC). My old razr had its antenna at the bottom.

Actually, I'm pretty accustomed to holding the phone by my finger tips, mostly from my razr days when I noticed how hot it got while taking a phone call and holding it with the more traditional "cupped hand" method. Ultimately I changed my habits to allow the phone to properly radiate heat from the battery area instead of trapping it.

Upvote 0
change to EVRC-B and you will find better coverage and voice quality -

Go to Phone and Dial ##778
  • Choose Edit Mode
  • Password is 000000
  • Go to CDMA Settings
  • Scroll all the way to bottom
  • Change Home Page, Home Orig, and Roam Orig from EVRC to EVRC-B
  • Hit Menu and Commit Changes
  • Phone reboots and walla no more muffed voice calls!
  • enjoy your uber phone.
Enhanced Variable Rate Codec B : http://en.wikipedia....le_Rate_Codec_B

Upvote 0
The antenna is at the bottom. We have a restaurant where signal strength is extremely marginal. I called a traffic number with a recorded message and it was very broken on reception. Moving my hand off the bottom made it much better. I only do this when reception is marginal. Sometimes low frequency reception can be helped by using the body as an antenna. Cellphones work at a very high frequency so the body shields the signal.

Reactions: Musky
Upvote 0
I am sure there is a video of someone taking an Incredible apart to see where the Antenna is.

If you take off the back cover, you can actually see (and touch) the antennae in the phone. They look like red tape over the plastic parts. The bottom one is the one for the cell and there's three other ones on top, most likely for Bluetooth, Wifi and possibly GPS, I'm assuming. I've highlighted them in blue here:

Inc2.jpg

Inc1.jpg

Upvote 0

• Choose Edit Mode
  • Password is 000000
  • Go to CDMA Settings
  • enjoy your uber phone.

Anyone tried this? If so is it safe? I really dont want to jack up a brand new phone, but if it helps i will try it.

Upvote 0

• Choose Edit Mode
  • Password is 000000
  • Go to CDMA Settings
  • enjoy your uber phone.

can anyone comment on the usefulness of this, possible bad effects?

Upvote 0
I'm not 100% sure, but I'm guessing our phones are set to EVRC for a reason, and that's because EVRC is everywhere. So if you set it to EVRC-B permanently but you're not in an area with EVRC-B coverage you might not be able to make calls properly. So it might make your call quality better, but you might have issues if you're not somewhere covered by EVRC-B.

But I'm wondering if our phones are already defaulted to EVRC, do they perhaps automatically use the EVRC-B network if it's available? I'm skeptical about forcing the phone to use EVRC-B all the time if I travel somewhere not covered.

EDIT: OK, had a hunt around the web. This post is valuable over on XDA forums:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=684022

Upvote 0

• Choose Edit Mode
  • Password is 000000
  • Go to CDMA Settings
  • enjoy your uber phone.

EVRC-B can't provide better coverage. It's a codec. It's apples and oranges. It's like saying if you play an AAC in the background instead of an MP3, you'll be able to download faster from the market.

It can provide better voice quality in situations of borderline reception.

However, as noted above, it's not supported everywhere. You will get a fast busy if it's not supported in your area.

Upvote 0
Reactions: ilinimud
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones