• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root *****10/4/13*****New OTA DO NOT DOWNLOAD IF YOU'RE ROOTED

It's looking like the OTA is breaking current root methods as well, though I've seen a couple of successes with rootkeeper.
Anybody see any corroborating evidence on XDA? I just haven't had a chance to get over there today.

EDIT: Okay, I'm wading through the thread at XDA referenced earlier; it doesn't look like rootkeeper is a surefire method of keeping root either.

Upvote 0
It's looking like the OTA is breaking current root methods as well, though I've seen a couple of successes with rootkeeper.
Anybody see any corroborating evidence on XDA? I just haven't had a chance to get over there today.

Define success.

Loss of s-off, potentially forever? Loss of ability to flash radios, splash zips and kernels? Loss of working recovery functions we've taken for granted for over a month?

It's really simple - HTC tends to release updated bootloaders ONLY when the dev community has gotten around them.

As soon as Rxpert posted that there was a likely bootloader change this morning, it was obvious, the rest has simply been a matter of watching it unfold.

Both Regaw's one-click and the LazyPanda, as well as TWRP 2.1.8, were getting around HTC's intentions.

Forget Rootkeeper, forget going with the OTA.

There are zero reasons to Mickey Mouse around like that - none, zip, nada.

People bragging about success have yet to discover the pain that awaits them because they're trying to avoid full root (perm root + unlocked bootloader + custom recovery) and are simply trying to wish their way to success.

Others are singing the blues that the Rootkeeper approach left them high and dry (not Rootkeeper's fault - it was a fall-back method, and never required here).

Quote of the day goes to flex360 at XDA for someone claiming it was all peachy - he correctly identified the OP as simply living in denial.

And my favorite off-forum remark today -
...the advice of "Don't accept OTA's when rooted" is relatively valid advice.
Yep. Correct. Exactly.

Just like the ocean is relatively wet. ;)

Upvote 0
Yes.

We're pretty confident that 1) the unbrick method works (we think we're past true bricks to just a stuck state on Qualcomm Download Mode), and 2) a simple live CD or USB stick set up to do the s-off in Linux with that unbrick tool on stand-by (it only works in Linux) is the way to go. It avoids all of the Windows pitfalls associated with USB drivers, the cause of most trouble - and leaves you ready to go to bypass the Qualcomm condition.

Granite has been working on a fool-proof step by guide for that.

If anyone wants to take the pieces as-is and go for that solution, ping me in this thread, I'll assemble the instructions from our existing successful posts on this.

I'd love to see Granite's guide when ready.

Does anyone know if the phone forces OTA updates? On the Transformer Prime, the OTA updates are downloaded automatically without user intervention, and once that happens, you can only decline to update three times before the update is automatically imposed and forced on the user.

Upvote 0
Hey rx feel free to mod my post to your heart's content. I think the bootloader stuff officially has killed my interest for this phone. I am really leaning gs3 now. Source was released concurrent with the phone release also. HTC on the other hand...

Thanks.

The bootloader stuff can be a pain, but if you don't take the OTA you're S-OFF and never have to worry about it again. :p I understand your upgrade is in the future, so don't make any rash decision now :D.

Samsung is evil!;)

Source would be nice right about now though. If I were you I'd hold out and see who is closer to getting JB

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
I know this goes without saying, but thanks for all of your incredible patience with folks like me.

If I understand correctly (and this is an invitation to correct me) I have three intelligent actions available to me, the Zedomax rooter LTEvo owner:

1) Sit tight and don't accept and OTA updates
2) Suck it up and do the Megaraw root and manage updates and radios via recovery
3) Accept the OTA and kiss root goodbye for the foreseeable future

Upvote 0
I know this goes without saying, but thanks for all of your incredible patience with folks like me.

Each and every one of us has been in your shoes. ;)

If I understand correctly (and this is an invitation to correct me) I have three intelligent actions available to me, the Zedomax rooter LTEvo owner:

1) Sit tight and don't accept and OTA updates
2) Suck it up and do the Megaraw root and manage updates and radios via recovery
3) Accept the OTA and kiss root goodbye for the foreseeable future

4) Suck it up and do the LazyPanda s-off, install TWRP via the GooManager app and manage updates via recovery and radios via recovery or hboot fastboot.

2 and 4 are basically equivalent except - #4 won't wipe your apps and data out in the process, #4 gives you more flexibility in the long run - and #4 is higher risk/higher complexity if trouble happens compared to #2.

Otherwise, yep, those are your options.

Upvote 0
Boy, was yesterday a rough day! lol

So yeah, I accepted the OTA while S-OFF, and my S-OFF status wasn't affected. HOWEVER, I only did it to test (for everyone else, so that no others would have to suffer) whether Lazy Panda would work on the new HBOOT.

So far, it doesn't. globatron did suggest I go on IRC and have him look at what the Panda is doing over TeamViewer, but I haven't had an opportunity to do that yet. Hopefully I'll have some time to do that soon, and LP can be updated for those people who didn't heed the warning.

Hopefully the replacement device I get tomorrow hasn't been updated yet, so I can S-OFF and try again.

So again, for anyone keeping score:

DO NOT ACCEPT THE OTA.

If you want S-OFF, DO IT NOW, before anymore updates come out!!

The new HBOOT prevents the easy recovery flashing of radios and splash screens, and may prevent kernels from being flashed that way as well (hopefully now that source has been released, I'll be able to test this theory on a custom kernel).

Leave all of this type of testing to the experts! (and me, I guess, lol)

Upvote 0
dog-dude-wait-what.jpg

Do my eyes deceive me or did you just say that kernel source has been released?!?!

Upvote 0
CRC usually means cyclic redundancy check and it's pretty common in embedded systems, I put it in flight in spacecraft.

I seen kernel code, I've worked on kernel code - I downloaded and have opened that package and hot damn, that's kernel source - marked for 1.13 instead of yesterday's 1.22, but still....

Many thanks! :) :) :)

Upvote 0
Each and every one of us has been in your shoes. ;)
4) Suck it up and do the LazyPanda s-off, install TWRP via the GooManager app and manage updates via recovery and radios via recovery or hboot fastboot.

Going for it . . . hang on to your butts.

The silly part is, while I don't mind doing the maintenance on my phone, my wife and father-in-law also will want this since they also enjoy the ended apple tyranny and free wifis.

Does phone maintenance and other geekery count as a dowry?

Upvote 0
regaw_leinad at XDA said:
Also, we can block OTAs from installing by running
Code:
mv /system/etc/security/otacerts.zip  /system/etc/security/otacerts.zip.bak
That's how I did it back on the HeroC

Can also be done with EStrongs File Explorer.

Give Root Explorer privilege and mount /system r/w for writing. Long press file name, rename to add the .bak extension.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I feel compelled to preface this question by stating that my LTEvo is:
S-Off
Unlocked (via RegawMod)
TWRP 2.2 installed
MeanROM installed (very nice Sense ROM)
Updated radio PRI & firmware bits

So even though I have some experience and I feel comfortable "messing" with my mobile communication & computing device, I still consider myself a novice at best.

When flashing radio, PRI AND firmware some people say flash through Bootloader (PJ75.img) and some people say flash through Hboot.
Are these two things synonymous? (Bootloader & Hboot)

When I discuss flashing a PJ75.img, I say through bootloader. Am I doing these folks a disservice by calling it this?

Please excuse my longwindedness.

Skid

Upvote 0
I feel compelled to preface this question by stating that my LTEvo is:
S-Off
Unlocked (via RegawMod)
TWRP 2.2 installed
MeanROM installed (very nice Sense ROM)
Updated radio PRI & firmware bits

So even though I have some experience and I feel comfortable "messing" with my mobile communication & computing device, I still consider myself a novice at best.

When flashing radio, PRI AND firmware some people say flash through Bootloader (PJ75.img) and some people say flash through Hboot.
Are these two things synonymous? (Bootloader & Hboot)

When I discuss flashing a PJ75.img, I say through bootloader. Am I doing these folks a disservice by calling it this?

Please excuse my longwindedness.

Skid

Yes, installing through h-boot or bootloader are the same things. They are pretty much interchangeable lingo

Reactions: EarlyMon and Skid71
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones