• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

~1500 bucks for a new PC

ORDER CONFIRMATION Thank you for ordering from Newegg.com. Order Date: 8/2/2014

Well, it showed up Friday but I wasn't there, so picking it up tomorrow morning. Right now I have but one 64bit question:

Coming from Firefox 31.0, do I want Waterfox or Pale Moon for a 64bit equivalent? I'm reading that Waterfox is more tightly aligned with Firefox, but haven't had the opportunity to confirm that.

Certain to have more 64b questions...

Reactions: olebaronvicki
Upvote 0
Well, it showed up Friday but I wasn't there, so picking it up tomorrow morning. Right now I have but one 64bit question:

Coming from Firefox 31.0, do I want Waterfox or Pale Moon for a 64bit equivalent? I'm reading that Waterfox is more tightly aligned with Firefox, but haven't had the opportunity to confirm that.

Certain to have more 64b questions...

Or you could use the 32 bit version of Firefox

Upvote 0
Does it look like one of these?

13611i85823D50731521FC

That would be a DVI connector. Big improvement over VGA.

The adapter is only a few bucks, but you have to make sure which type DVI connector you have.

http://www.amazon.com/KingWin-DVI-D-Female-Adapter-ADP-04A/dp/B009MPB2M4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1407806807&sr=8-2&keywords=dvi-d+to+vga+adaptor

Upvote 0
I think I'll just go to wlmrt tomorrow, and if they don't have such an adapter right now, I'll then make sure one of its monitors has that DVI connection, get that and a cheap keyboard and be done with it. That way, my ancient beast can be donated with its ancient arms and legs... hard to crawl out of the past bit by bit.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Well, with that fifteen-dollar (three if I felt like more waiting) DVI-A adapter from Best Buy, I am writing this from my new box. So it and the pewter works, although there's a bunch of video crap hanging out the back now. And the pewter is 64-bit and it is quiet and...

newpc.jpg

So far, I (a) did right in choosing a good box that is much more future-ready but (b) I really didn't need to escape the past... just had to do something to put my internal argument to bed.

Upvote 0
I (a) did right in choosing a good box that is much more future-ready but (b) I really didn't need to escape the past... just had to do something to put my internal argument to bed.

Candidate (b) wins. The new one works okay, certainly boots faster but otherwise not much different. And what it is capable of is beyond what I ever needed

Upvote 0
Sigh.... that's the point. Who said it needed to be a wildly different experience than what you already have? This is exactly what you wanted -- an evolution, not a revolution in tech.

That whole so much more than you ever need to do is a good thing.They say that software will expand to fill whatever capacity (processor speed, RAM, hard disk space, etc.) is there, so eventually you'll have software that will justify needing the power anyway, and you'll be back here looking for the same stuff again later if you send it back now.

Keep it, and migrate everything over. You'll benefit from saved time in the long run.

Reactions: jefboyardee
Upvote 0
They say that software will expand to fill whatever capacity (processor speed, RAM, hard disk space, etc.) is there, so eventually you'll have software that will justify needing the power anyway, and you'll be back here looking for the same stuff again later if you send it back now.

Got me there. Gotta ponder that for a couple days... thanx.

Reactions: Joelgp83
Upvote 0
I stopped pondering and sent it back. It was stupid of me to order it in the first place, especially at a time like this when I'm juggling checkbooks online and can't risk messing up my trusty but pokey system.

Thanks again to all who helped me and sorry I flaked. I know I'll be back when Win9 comes out... ;

Upvote 0
I know I'll be back when Win9 comes out... ;

Windows 9 Threshold public preview could be released as soon as next month

The clock is ticking on Windows 8, and Microsoft is working hard to usher in the next era of Windows-based computers. A new report says that a Windows 9 public preview could arrive sometime in late September, or early October. The public preview, once it arrives, will reportedly be available to use by anyone. Plus it doesn

Upvote 0
Explaining this to myself and anyone who's interested:

I titled this thread "~1500 bucks for a new PC." I meant it when I wrote it. I want something new, and I'm willing to spend fifteen hundred bucks for it. But it has to be very new and representative of the future of desktop computers.

This thing I just sent back was almost none of that. It was 64-bit and it did outpower mine, but otherwise it was the same thing. I would've had to perform endless tweaks just to make act like what I already have.

So I snapped, decided I had to get it out of my face and spent actual money to return it to sender. And now that's in the past and no matter how dopey all this was, I'm glad I ended it.

That thing is not what I wanted in the first place. Microsoft forced me to lead myself astray, offering nothing representative of the future of desktop computers with Win8.x. So I accidentally settled for the past.

I hope Microsoft gets it together and fast, or...

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
If they are going to give us a new windows 9, then they better give it to windows 8 users for free. I will not pay Microsoft $100 every year because they keep screwing up.

I actually like windows 8, and am one of the few that do. But already for Windows 9.

Microsoft needs to take a look at how Apple runs. Every year or so, Apple has a minor update for their OSX, and I like that. It's better than every 4 years for a major update.

They charge like $20 for the update, nothing to break the wallet. And they get millions of downloads every time. They make lots of money.

If Microsoft is going to Charge another $100 for this already, I may just move to OSX...

did I seriously just say that?

Yes you did say that ... LOL

Apple makes most of their money from selling you hardware of course, like $1,500 laptops, they can easily afford give away new versions of the OS. Microsoft doesn't make anything from computers, they only make money selling Windows, plus selling Office, Xbox, keyboards and mice. Microsoft has been selling Windows for a high price for almost 30 years now, don't think anything is going to change with them. Other thing with Apple, you might need to buy a new computer in order to use the new free OS version. OS X Mavericks won't install on a white Macbook I've got here that's running Snow Leopard, it still has services for MobileMe and iDisk in it, long discontinued. I've got to spend around $1,500 on a new Macbook. :rolleyes: ...I won't bother, can't justify the expense. But then I don't buy $1,000 Gucci shoes either. And then when Mavericks eventually goes end of life and out of support, probably will have to buy a new Apple computer again.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones