• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help 1st time smartphone buyer needs advice please

A

Android Question

Hi All,

I am having to buy my 1st smartphone and am having trouble deciding on several factors of the phone like how much to spend to get the right phone for myself. For my current carrier (Ting) I need an unlocked GSM phone.

I am a self-employed electrician doing mainly service work and need a smartphone so I can accept credit card payments in the field. I am in and out of the truck all day and need somewhat of a durable phone. I like the 5 to 5.2 inch screen size and I for see doing very little gaming, mainly phone calls, texting, picture taking and some internet browsing for work. Things main change some after I get a smart phone and see what all they can do.

My considerations so far are:

1 Blu Life One X…$150 aprox

2) Moto G 2015…$220 aprox

3) Moto X 2014…$300 aprox

4) Nexus 5x…$340 aprox

The Moto X 2014 is the most appealing to me but I’m not sure why and budget tells me to try the Blu Life One X. Any advice for this 1st time buyer would be most appreciated. I have been reading reviews till I am totally confused.

Thanks everyone, Charlie

Hi Charlie, and welcome to Android Forums!

The 2015 Moto X Pure Edition has been marked down, and is a large, capable device. You can use a Square card reader to take payments, and it comes unlocked with NO bloatware. My Darling Bride & I both have one (though I'll be retiring mine when the Note 6 comes out) and love it. Hope this helps.

It's great to have you here :)

Reactions: Clementine_3
Upvote 0
I am in and out of the truck all day and need somewhat of a durable phone.

I'd get a durable protective case for whichever phone you buy. :)

Blu Life One X and Nexus 5x have Band 12 so they're the most compatible with Tings GSM network, the other two don't have Band 12. All four have all the other bands.

Reactions: svim
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones