• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

2.2 in "mid October"

There is also.....You can pick your friends and you can pick your nose, but you can't wipe your friends on the couch.

Back to the actual topic......

Is anyone else rather ho-hum about 2.2 on their Fascinate? I'm not really in need of many of those features at the moment.
back_on_topic.jpg

Im NOT ho-hum for Froyo at all. The apparent and anticipated performance boost are what Im keen for, even if Im already OC/UV with voodoo now. Not to mention the dev's are working on some very cool add-on's in their ROM's and kernels. birdman is on record saying he will be able to port the home soft key notifications from the Vibrant. That will be nice

Upvote 0
Is anyone else rather ho-hum about 2.2 on their Fascinate? I'm not really in need of many of those features at the moment.

Do I "need" Froyo? No.

Do I "want" Froyo? Yes (both the update and the dessert type).

Not just to fix my GPS (which I don't use all that often), but hopefully for some streamlining of the OS which will yield a little faster function. For you people (ie: saps) who root and such it's probably not nearly as big of a deal, but for myself and my "not ready to root" ways, it should make a pretty big difference.

Upvote 0
I don't know how you could be ho-hum about such a great thing, unless you're just not a tech geek. I'm looking forward to flash, the speed increase (JIT), and the promised addition of total ram usage (I read somewhere that the 128 is being used for the graphics of the fascinate, though the poster didn't seem too sure). Although, 512MB-128MB =\= the 325MB available that we're seeing currently.

Upvote 0
I don't know how you could be ho-hum about such a great thing, unless you're just not a tech geek. I'm looking forward to flash, the speed increase (JIT), and the promised addition of total ram usage (I read somewhere that the 128 is being used for the graphics of the fascinate, though the poster didn't seem too sure). Although, 512MB-128MB =\= the 325MB available that we're seeing currently.

:eek: How dare you impugn my geek credentials. :p;)

I guess coming from an Eris the extra Ram, App memory, speed, performance, etc that the SF already has is enough for me right now.

I'm not saying that I'm looking upon future updates in horror or anything, but I'm certainly not looking at 2.2 the way I did 2.1.

Upvote 0
There is also.....You can pick your friends and you can pick your nose, but you can't wipe your friends on the couch.

Back to the actual topic......

It has a couple of pretty good features, but the thing I was going to miss the most was the updated market, but it appears they updated that already so I won't miss it anymore.

Upvote 0
I'm certainly not looking at 2.2 the way I did 2.1.

I agree. I ran several Froyo ROMs on the Eris, and I was always eager to get back to xtrROM 3.0.3 or just about any other of my saved 2.1 ROMs.

2.2 is ok, the changes are not needed, imo. Some are quite on the edge of their seats for it.. I'm hoping the OTA offers a "reject" option.

If not, it's ok, they're all highly configurable, especially with the launcher choices.

I do admit to being fine with 1.5. ;)

Upvote 0
Some people just can't let go... :p

I confess to being one of those people; once bonded, I hang on for dear life.

I did give in and accepted the 2.1 OTA. Doing that, however, caused me to go insane and I rooted shortly thereafter.

Things have not been the same since. I now have a forever sleeping Eris and a new Fascinate, which I rooted. It's unrooted now.. but still.... ;)

Upvote 0
I agree. I ran several Froyo ROMs on the Eris, and I was always eager to get back to xtrROM 3.0.3 or just about any other of my saved 2.1 ROMs.

2.2 is ok, the changes are not needed, imo. Some are quite on the edge of their seats for it.. I'm hoping the OTA offers a "reject" option.

If not, it's ok, they're all highly configurable, especially with the launcher choices.

I do admit to being fine with 1.5. ;)

If there was a Guiness Book record for person who held out the longest when it came to updating their Eris to 2.1....you would be the record holder.

Upvote 0
Yeah, I know I'm new to this, but I have heard disturbingly little from people about Flash. I'm surprised more people aren't up in arms about this. I moved from a Blackberry Storm (quickly dodges thrown rocks), to the only android I could afford because Verizon charges people arms, legs and organs for their monthly plans. With that, my failure to install flash or Firefox was kind of discouraging. when I get Froyo (which still sounds like a hobbit), if I find that it is now a hardware, rather than software, issue, should we all storm the gates at Verizon or LG?

Upvote 0
Yeah, I know I'm new to this, but I have heard disturbingly little from people about Flash. I'm surprised more people aren't up in arms about this. I moved from a Blackberry Storm (quickly dodges thrown rocks), to the only android I could afford because Verizon charges people arms, legs and organs for their monthly plans. With that, my failure to install flash or Firefox was kind of discouraging. when I get Froyo (which still sounds like a hobbit), if I find that it is now a hardware, rather than software, issue, should we all storm the gates at Verizon or LG?

So u say you got the only android phone you could because they charge so much for plans which makes no sense because you still get charged the 29.99 a month for the ally. Flash comes with froyo so if you get froyo you will have flash

Upvote 0
So u say you got the only android phone you could because they charge so much for plans which makes no sense because you still get charged the 29.99 a month for the ally. Flash comes with froyo so if you get froyo you will have flash

I assume that he meant that his funds where otherwise disposed when it came time to purchase a phone due to what he is already paying for his plan.

Upvote 0

not so fast

Irony: Adobe May Be Killing Flash On Motorola Droid/Milestone | Android News, Reviews, Applications, Games, Phones, Devices, Tips, Mods, Videos, Podcasts - Android Police

and the Ally is weaker than those listed.....like i have heard several times before, the Ally might eventually get Froyo, but Flash may not work like it does on the flagship phones

Upvote 0
not so fast

Irony: Adobe May Be Killing Flash On Motorola Droid/Milestone | Android News, Reviews, Applications, Games, Phones, Devices, Tips, Mods, Videos, Podcasts - Android Police

and the Ally is weaker than those listed.....like i have heard several times before, the Ally might eventually get Froyo, but Flash may not work like it does on the flagship phones
Hmmm, interesting and troublesome especially for those OC'd Droid owners already at or above 800Mhz

Upvote 0
Hmmm, interesting and troublesome especially for those OC'd Droid owners already at or above 800Mhz

its an older article, i think the Droid now has Flash 10? anyone confirm? but the Ally is left out cold still.....im glad i switched, paid a ton more to do it, but it was worth it rather than keep an already anemic piece of hardware that might one day have a fleeting chance to get 2.2, and might not even have the horsepower to allow Flash 10 to run on it......and to think about keeping that for 2 years? it was outdated the day it came out....

Upvote 0
I was having some problems with my GPS just like other Fascinate users, I spoke to VZW customer service (since i'm still within my 30 days, just got it on Saturday), anyway she "claimed" that according to her notes on the Fascinate it has already begun the Froyo update (being pushed in stages), not sure if she was referring to the previous patch that was sent sometime last month, I sure hope we get Froyo soon or at least a fix for the GPS for now, as I use this a lot and if it doesn't work I may have to return this phone before its too late. In regards to the GPS, all she had me do was a soft reset :thinking:

Anyone else heard this from Verizon customer service?

Upvote 0
not so fast

and flash is not all that great on the 'flagship' devices. it works but there are times when you can't even scroll the screen at all while waiting for flash. it also makes the entire browser less smooth...lol, can't win 'em all, but at least it's finally there.

Upvote 0
not so fast

They should get rid of flash on smartphones altogether. It ran like junk when I had my Droid 2, I had to set it to "on demand" it made browsing full pages pure balls.

Upvote 0
They should get rid of flash on smartphones altogether. It ran like junk when I had my Droid 2, I had to set it to "on demand" it made browsing full pages pure balls.
i've done the same thing on my droid x and that's what they are also suggesting at xda for the galaxy s running froyo. almost makes you laugh, people wanting flash for seemingly ages....then when it finally arrives....ehh. guess we have to be careful what we wish for! it DOES have it's uses,no question, it's just too bad it slows the browser and makes it somewhat choppy.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones