• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

2 years - not the same battery life

NewArtDroid

Apr 26, 2013
New York City area
When I first got my Droid Maxx, the battery lasted almost 2 days. Of course, I used it more so the battery would run down quicker. It's now been a little more than two years with my beloved Droid Maxx. At the end of the day, I'm down to 25%. When I look at the apps that use battery power it all comes down to screen and Android system. Anything I should look for to extend the battery life, or must I accept the old age of my Droid Maxx?

In my experience, doing a factory data reset sometimes helps, but almost always performance settles back to where it was before the reset.

I'd do the wipe cache partition, see if it helps. I think it's always a good exercise to go through a factory data reset, as it's good practice for when you get a new phone, or your phone stops working right and you need a warranty replacement, etc. Of course you'd want to make sure that all of your photos and videos are backed up somehow, and that your contacts are as well if you don't sync them with Google or Verizon Backup Assistant, and that any personalized ringtones are backed up so that you can reinstall them after the reset. That said, an FDR is time consuming and kind of a pain in the neck.

All I ever wanted from the Droid Maxx was to get me from unplugging at wake up to plugging in at bed time, and it still did that for me after two years almost every day.

Upvote 0
A new battery is only around $10 on Amazon. Motorola indicates the battery (a relatively beefy 3500 mAh) to be replaceable but it requires a lot more effort than just popping the back off and swapping them out. When you start pay close attention to what you take apart so when you finish up you're aware of what you need to put back:
https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Motorola+DROID+MAXX+Battery+Replacement/33737

Upvote 0
Just as an experiment, I tried to take the back off my Maxx following ifixit's instructions. It is really not all that difficult. I do have their plastic pry tools that helps a lot. If you're technically minded and reasonably good with your hands I don't see this being a problem.

Reactions: Thom
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones